Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Why should anyone care that you are 58?

I also tax my car every year. I pay my Vehicle Excise Duty.

Well done you----now jog on and try to post something soon that I might find interesting-------hurry up coz I'm not holding my breath for much longer:p

I care that I've reached the age of 58 so that will do for me:cool:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A 2008/2009 study showed that 82 per cent of the population lived in a household that had a car or van (and presumably therefore paid "road tax).
It also showed that 83 percent of cyclists live in a household that has a car or van.

Meaning, cyclists are more likely to pay "road tax" than the population at large.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
A 2008/2009 study showed that 82 per cent of the population lived in a household that had a car or van (and presumably therefore paid "road tax).
It also showed that 83 percent of cyclists live in a household that has a car or van.

Meaning, cyclists are more likely to pay "road tax" than the population at large.

agreed they pay road tax for their other vehicle not their push bike( that's the argument)

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
agreed they pay road tax for their other vehicle not their push bike( that's the argument)

It isn't a very good one though, is it? It's used in a manner to accuse cyclists of essentially 'tax dodging'. It's like accusing pedestrians of not paying their "leg tax" and using that to justify physically threatening them for walking around.

If ANY of the "you don't pay road tax so can't use the road" simpletons would like to point out where the law says that cyclists have to pay any sort of "road tax" I will gladly pay ALL of your VED personally, for life. A link to the government website will be enough.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It isn't a very good one though, is it? It's used in a manner to accuse cyclists of essentially 'tax dodging'. It's like accusing pedestrians of not paying their "leg tax" and using that to justify physically threatening them for walking around.

If ANY of the "you don't pay road tax so can't use the road" simpletons would like to point out where the law says that cyclists have to pay any sort of "road tax" I will gladly pay ALL of your VED personally, for life. A link to the government website will be enough.

Put the kettle on teaboy!

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I cycle,I have a motorcycle and I drive a car.
I just don't know who to rail against...........except them freaking pedestrian morons!!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Many moons ago I was a regular motorcyclist and my old Ma used to have a couple of sayings:

Son, better to arrive late in this world than early in the next.
and
It won't make it any better that we put on your headstone "But I was in the right"

Cyclists, in a similar way to motorcyclists, are vulnerable, as in they will come off worse in the event of a collision.

My most annoying observation is having to slow down and manufacture an overtaking opportunity to get past a cyclist who is on the main single-carriageway when there is a fecking cycle path right next to the road. These superior beings obviously think the cycle path is for children and families and they are far too experienced to be using them.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Many moons ago I was a regular motorcyclist and my old Ma used to have a couple of sayings:

Son, better to arrive late in this world than early in the next.
and
It won't make it any better that we put on your headstone "But I was in the right"

Cyclists, in a similar way to motorcyclists, are vulnerable, as in they will come off worse in the event of a collision.

My most annoying observation is having to slow down and manufacture an overtaking opportunity to get past a cyclist who is on the main single-carriageway when there is a fecking cycle path right next to the road. These superior beings obviously think the cycle path is for children and families and they are far too experienced to be using them.

Have you tried riding on some of them?! Would you fancy driving your car/motorbike on the pavement and giving way at every side road, or would you prefer the easier, continuous carriageway? The roads may not feel safe, so it says something about the quality of provision cyclists get when it's the better option. If there was better cycle infrastructure people would use it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The point is that they pay road tax. The (mistaken) belief behind the 'cyclists don't pay road tax' nonsense is that drivers pay road tax to be able to use roads that are maintained by said tax. The (mistaken) sentiment being that cyclists don't pay it so shouldn't be allowed to use roads.

The fact is they do pay VE tax, so even if the belief that "road tax" paid for the upkeep of roads and gave people the right to use them was true (it isn't), the argument is flawed.

That they do pay VE tax, and that it is council tax (which they also likely pay) that pays for roads means people really need to stop using that argument, it makes them look like at best an idiot, at worst some lame internet troll.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The point is that they pay road tax. The (mistaken) belief behind the 'cyclists don't pay road tax' nonsense is that drivers pay road tax to be able to use roads that are maintained by said tax.

Where are these maintained roads you talk about?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Everyone should have to pass the practical driving test every 20 years.

Really? Because learning to drive isn't comprehensive enough already.
Learning to Cycle however........if you want to cycle on the roads you have a licence as well!!!! Along with that there should be fines if you jump a red light etc.

All I hear is cyclists saying they should be treated the same on the road and cars aren't the priority etc etc.

If that's going to be the case same rules should apply!!

Heebyjeebys

Apr 15, 2013
I like cyclists wherevever they are..... Especially when they are in the middle of the road! Or riding side by side having a catch up with their mate!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I like cyclists wherevever they are..... Especially when they are in the middle of the road! Or riding side by side having a up with their mate!

See again, where are all these cyclists riding side by side? I maybe come across one pair a month. And even then they don't usually cause an issue. Yet pretty much every time I drive or cycle anywhere I see a motorist do something stupid which delays me. A pet hate is indicating right to go round a roundabout but then not indicating left to exit the roundabout. This happens all the time and holds me up far more than cyclists ever have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here