Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
tbf, two abreast is a legitimate method to aid safety, taking up no more space than a car would (sometimes bikers do same when cruising). more is being twats.

I quite often ride out near the middle of the road round a blind corner to stop drivers even considering a stupid manoeuvre.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stupidest thread ever?

Why would anyone drive up that road if they were in a hurry? I think we should ban buses and taxi's from Brighton Station as they are always in my way as I come down the hill. Also, old people walk too slowly in front of me, lets ban them too. I really am too busy to have to slow down and waste several seconds of my time dealing with these inconveniences.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Surely this should be banned, it's potentially lethal. Pretty much every weekend cars are backed up and forced in to dangerous overtakes. Fair enough for the London to Brighton but I'm seriously thinking about campaigning to stop it happening all year round. Only s matter of time before someone gets badly hurt!

You're a dying breed and eventually you will succumb to the cyclist and be eradicated completely

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely this should be banned, it's potentially lethal. Pretty much every weekend cars are backed up and forced in to dangerous overtakes. Fair enough for the London to Brighton but I'm seriously thinking about campaigning to stop it happening all year round. Only s matter of time before someone gets badly hurt!

Do you drive a black Merc? I travel over the Beacon for every game as it is the easiest way to get from Hassocks to the Uni. Cyclists do slow me down but with patience a safe overtake can be achieved. One game last season an idiot in an Albion shirt driving a black merc was all over my rear bumper flashing his lights and waving his first because I refuse to overtake on a blind bend. I was rather hoping he was heading for the Uni car park as well so that I could have had a had a word but for some reason he shot off into the car park at the top of the Beacon.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I cycle over the beacon every other day.

Some drivers sit patiently behind you until a stretch of road where they can safely pull out, then overtake.

Some drivers ignore the fact that they can't see what might be coming round the fast approaching corner and overtake anyway.

Only one of these two groups are likely to smash into an oncoming vehicle.

I am also a driver. I may or may not also be an idiot.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I used to cycle up the Beacon every day when I worked in Brighton and lived in Burgess Hill.

Currently, I drive over the Beacon on my way to work, as I'm temporarily in Burgess Hill again. I have noticed that there are far more cyclists now than when I used to cycle it, and the majority of car drivers are perfectly able to deal with overtaking them safely. I certainly haven't seen an accident on there involving a cyclist ever.

However, I did see a lorry reverse over a bike in Ditchling High Street this morning.....

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Is there not a faster more fuel efficient route to take?

yes Clayton Hill is just down the road. takes you straight on to the A23 as well

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Do you drive a black Merc? I travel over the Beacon for every game as it is the easiest way to get from Hassocks to the Uni. Cyclists do slow me down but with patience a safe overtake can be achieved. One game last season an idiot in an Albion shirt driving a black merc was all over my rear bumper flashing his lights and waving his first because I refuse to overtake on a blind bend. I was rather hoping he was heading for the Uni car park as well so that I could have had a had a word but for some reason he shot off into the car park at the top of the Beacon.

isn't the train eaasier?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

The worst thing about it is, there just isn't another route in to Brighton. Not even one two miles away, that isn't even a dual carriageway, or has easy exits to all parts of Brighton and Hove, really Brighton truly is lacking some sort of A road for people looking to get in to town quickly, I demand my road tax money is spent on this immediately and maybe a bypass, we need one of those too.

You really are a complete moron.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It is quite clear that cyclists are becoming the new fascists, soon they'll be holding rallies under the banner of "Cyclists defence league" and protesting against the Motorisation of our nation and alien travel practices.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The worst thing about it is, there just isn't another route in to Brighton. Not even one two miles away, that isn't even a dual carriageway, or has easy exits to all parts of Brighton and Hove, really Brighton truly is lacking some sort of A road for people looking to get in to town quickly, I demand my road tax money is spent on this immediately and maybe a bypass, we need one of those too.

You really are a complete moron.

Haven't you heard? They are pedestrianising the A23, apparently someone complained that there were too many cars.

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I'd also like to draw the more hard-of-thinking drivers attention to rule 163 of the Highway Code:

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

•not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
•use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
•not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
•move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
•take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
•give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
•only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
•stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
•give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
just to shoew how narrow it is. taken during the tour de france ride over db
1998072_0e957e64.jpg

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
It is quite clear that cyclists are becoming the new fascists, soon they'll be holding rallies under the banner of "Cyclists defence league" and protesting against the Motorisation of our nation and alien travel practices.

You do realise that the thread title was 'Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!' ?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
You do realise that the thread title was 'Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!' ?

But there's many referring to cyclists as "scum" and talk about despising them altogether.

Cyclists are routinely following their own laws, soon they'll have their own Sharia style law-courts which bypass our native laws.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here