Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not a great road for cars.
It's a local 'icon' for cyclists.

But it's a road not a cycle path, which is why I steer clear.
Ditchling is more of an annual trip out, nothing more.

What specific reasons do you have for driving it?
(Genuine question I don't know the other roads across the Downs, but I'm sure there's plenty more car friendly roads, than that one)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last week I tried to bounce up there on my Spacehopper, bloody bikes and cars both getting in my way. Grrr!
Exactly my point.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cyclists are f**king vermin.

They don't even understand the give way signs on their stupid cycle lanes.

Interesting comments. How did you come to these conclusions, may I ask?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Surely this should be banned, it's potentially lethal. Pretty much every weekend cars are backed up and forced in to dangerous overtakes. Fair enough for the London to Brighton but I'm seriously thinking about campaigning to stop it happening all year round. Only s matter of time before someone gets badly hurt!

Fun Police

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Surely this should be banned, it's potentially lethal. Pretty much every weekend cars are backed up and forced in to dangerous overtakes. Fair enough for the London to Brighton but I'm seriously thinking about campaigning to stop it happening all year round. Only s matter of time before someone gets badly hurt!

I think the phrase is 'Potential Death Trap'.

0.jpg

Alternatively, you could show some consideration for your fellow road users.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Some idiot was walking with her two children (of no more than 7 years of age) along the A27 Tuesday. She kept telling them to get up on the verge whilst she walked in the road, but the kids weren't haven't it. It was only for the last stretch (assume she had parked up somewhere on the bank), but it was unbelievably stupid.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I wish car owners would stop throwing their rubbish out of their windows

When I am cycling up Ditchling Beacon flat out at 3mph you notice every bit of garbage - its disgusting !!!!

Curiously, when I drive up the Beacon and there's cyclists 2 abreast there it pisses me off.
And when I cycle up and a car tries to run me off the road it pisses me off.

How about every other day it's closed to either bikes or cars?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Fantastic measured response. Its for the bloody cyclists safety as well! Why don't they save up all the money they save on road tax to build their own little path?! That way everyone is happy...

The road over Ditchling Beacon is a little path. Don't drive up it if you are in a hurry and don't drive up it if you have no patience with cyclists or tractors.

And it is certainly only dangerous if drivers don't know how to overtake properly and safely.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you cant safely overtake a cyclist up Ditchling beacon, at whats likly bearly above walking pace, maybe you need a more powerful car? or learn to use the gears properly, on my trips up this a similar hills im frustrated by drivers who dont seem to understand the use of a lower gear.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Cyclists are f**king vermin.

They don't even understand the give way signs on their stupid cycle lanes.

THIS, and insist on riding two, three or sometimes four abreast, even round blind bends. The scum would not dream of doing it in their cars, why don't they think what they are doing when they ride their pushbikes?

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
The only thing that's a potential death trap for cyclists are other vehicles on the road. All car drivers, mini-cab drivers, van drivers, bus drivers and lorry drivers are COCKS, the lot of 'em. I say ban them all, or better still put all the money thay shell out in road tax towards building some special lanes for them away from the cyclist where they can all tear about like COCKS and kill each other.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
THIS, and insist on riding two, three or sometimes four abreast, even round blind bends. The scum would not dream of doing it in their cars, why don't they think what they are doing when they ride their pushbikes?

Some cyclists are idiots.

Some drivers are idiots.

That's never going to change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

tbf, two abreast is a legitimate method to aid safety, taking up no more space than a car would (sometimes bikers do same when cruising). more is being twats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here