Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke team news

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I'm with you, Caicedo - MacA just seems like a seamless partnership. Gross in the no.10 with pace around him and a bit of freedom to try to unlock routes to goal seems the better option to me at least. I felt we lost a little something with them the other way round v Fulham.

I'd argue it's worth sticking with Mac Allister as a 10 - Palace and Fulham were frustrating but he recorded an xG of over 2 in both of those games combined. He's not a bad finisher and I'd fully expect him to start converting some of those opportunities given the chance.

His understanding with Caicedo is brilliant but I feel he has a lot to offer in a more attacking position in an RDZ team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd argue it's worth sticking with Mac Allister as a 10 - Palace and Fulham were frustrating but he recorded an xG of over 2 in both of those games combined. He's not a bad finisher and I'd fully expect him to start converting some of those opportunities given the chance.

His understanding with Caicedo is brilliant but I feel he has a lot to offer in a more attacking position in an RDZ team.
I don't disagree with any of that, but the question is whether what you lose with him next to Caicedo with say Gross there is compensated by what he can do in the 10? I don't think it is, but RDZ is certainly having a look at it, so he clearly thinks so.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Go to go with our strongest side available in all positions. This may be our last reasonable chance of winning something if the expected "Summer Sale" goes ahead
Yes good point. Listened to Radio 5 post Moan U Newcastle final and they were discussing how often (especially out of top 6) clubs make it to a final never mind win it. We probably have the best Albion ever so if we are going to win something it has to be now. I will be absolutely gutted if we go out - we don't want another Charlton.

Last edited:

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Alex Neil very positive about us on the Stoke forum. Does refer to a Norwich v Albion game but not the 5-0 we all remember!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Stoke is not a "should win it blindfolded, one-legged and hung-over" like Charlton and I saw their game last week, thought they were pretty alright. Still shouldn't be too much of a problem and I'd like to see some game time for a couple of the fringe players like Sarmiento, van Hecke and Undav, but without going too far in the reserve direction.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Results so far prove otherwise. We’ll find out about mid-May either way.
Since the window closed we have sneaked a late win against Bournemouth, drawn with Palace and lost to Fulham so I would say the jury is out as it stands. We are now missing Trossard, Colwill, Gilmour, March, Estupinan and Lallana from tomorrows match so squad is about as stretched as it could be.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The one left back in the squad at a time rule really has been asking for trouble for quite some time! Maybe there will be an under-23s player coming in for a debut but I agree with everyone else, it'll be Tariq at left back and I'm concerned he's going to be exposed.
Samuel has looked good to me when I've seen him. Great delivery on him, but not been around the first team squad so presumably not quite ready.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If Lamptey plays I’d expect him on the right, and a CB shifted to LB. Otherwise something crazy like Mitoma or Enciso at LB with a more defensive RB like Veltman. I’d rather play a 3 but expect DZB to stick with 4-2-3-1 but as usual it not to be symmetrical.

Caicedo and Ayari behind Bounotte, McAllister and Sarmiento for me as a midfield.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Think they was saying IF it is long term it is bad. Which would be correct. They weren't saying it actually is long term.
Indeed…. He actually used the word “if”!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've been nervous about it lack of cover for Pervis for months. He is so integral to our shape under RdZ. Shouldn't be s huge loss today but if he misses a few Prem games I worry for us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Lamptey plays I’d expect him on the right, and a CB shifted to LB. Otherwise something crazy like Mitoma or Enciso at LB with a more defensive RB like Veltman. I’d rather play a 3 but expect DZB to stick with 4-2-3-1 but as usual it not to be symmetrical.

Caicedo and Ayari behind Bounotte, McAllister and Sarmiento for me as a midfield.
Perhaps something like this:

———————Steele———————
Groß—-Veltman—Webster—Lamptey
——-Ayari————-Caicedo————
Buenonotte——-Mac———-Sarmiento
———————-Undav——————--

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The one left back in the squad at a time rule really has been asking for trouble for quite some time! Maybe there will be an under-23s player coming in for a debut but I agree with everyone else, it'll be Tariq at left back and I'm concerned he's going to be exposed.
Since last month the likely candidates for that are playing for Motherwell and Leyton Orient!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here