Stockdale

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Been to every home game , sure he makes saves , but he makes too many mistakes , can't remember an Albion keeper making so many mistakes that lead to goals , and I been a supporter for over 30 years , his mistakes nearly all happen at vital times in the games and tend to be game changing , you can't of been to many games if you forgotten all the mistakes he has made this season .

I haven't forgotten his mistakes and don't dispute those he has made, only done 37 games this season so far (although he didn't play in 3 of those games), BUT too many posters jump on the bandwagon that he is rubbish when clearly he has made numerous great saves home and away and added to that he has excellent distribution skills 90% of the time, yes some go astray but how many outfield players can you say different. I believe he also offers a much better changing room/training presence than our previous keeper.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Regardless of whether he was at fault or not for the second goal (I've not been able to muster the enthusiasm to even bother to see it), I don't think Stockdale does himself any favours by taking to Twitter after the game and getting into slanging matches with fans. He's very quick to make sure he retweets all the praise, but gets very narky at any criticism, he seems very sensitive to it.

Retweeting stuff that absolves him but blames his team-mates is not particularly smart either. Bet that goes down really well in the dressing room.

Nice swerve of tactic there. I haven't seen a single post on Nsc saying Stockdale never makes a mistake.

Well, yes, except I've lost count of the number of threads that resemble this one, where if you actually try to pin down the "deniers" on whether he has actually made a mistake, they will swear til they are blue in the face contrary to all evidence that black is, actually, white.

Honestly, the key here is to actually listen to the neutral journalists covering the game, ie. those who have no other agenda but to call it as they see it. And with some expertise doing this week in, week out, professionally.

The BBC TV commentator was clear it was a (*direct quote*) a "fumble". Indeed, if you look, there is a deflection but it's a fairly weak-paced one, Stockdale then bobbles the ball between his hands in the manner of a slip fielder dropping a catch and the rest is 3 points for Wigan.

Open a copy of the Football League paper and it makes two references to the incident.

".."the loose ball eventually fumbled through Stockdale's gloves for Perch to hammer home from close range"

and in the player ratings (5 for Stockdale, the worst apart from Halford's 4) "Allowed the ball to slip through his hands for the winner".

For me, the Stockdale "debate" on here has taken on a kind of weird bigger symbolism.

It's not merely a rational discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of our goalkeeper.

Some appear to be using this as some kind of loyalty test of how good an Albion fan you are - you get the comedy version in Finchley Seagull's crazed dribbling ranting but even many sensible fans seem to be saying, look, this season has been awful enough, this is a line in the sand we are now drawing on all the negativity, and if you are on the wrong side of that line regards Stockdale, you are a bit of a wanker.

I would appear to these sensible fans, chill out - no one is denying Stockdale's great saves, but the volume of mistakes means his position will always be under the spotlight, particularly with Walton coming through so rapidly.

My own personal feeling is that Stockdale is technically a very high standard keeper but the question mark is his temperament and nerves, hence the frequent mistakes, but that's just my opinion.

I'm actually more worried about whether Hughton has been told by the board that the big money signings Stockdale and Baldock have to be played so the transfer fees are not wasted. I think this puts Hughton in a really difficult spot.

For me, it doesn't really matter if we finish 13th or 21st this season, the outcome is the same. But next season every keeping blunder will be magnified way more than this season, if the aim is to try to finish 6th or higher.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, yes, except I've lost count of the number of threads that resemble this one, where if you actually try to pin down the "deniers" on whether he has actually made a mistake, they will swear til they are blue in the face contrary to all evidence that black is, actually, white.

Honestly, the key here is to actually listen to the neutral journalists covering the game, ie. those who have no other agenda but to call it as they see it. And with some expertise doing this week in, week out, professionally.

The BBC TV commentator was clear it was a (*direct quote*) a "fumble". Indeed, if you look, there is a deflection but it's a fairly weak-paced one, Stockdale then bobbles the ball between his hands in the manner of a slip fielder dropping a catch and the rest is 3 points for Wigan.

Open a copy of the Football League paper and it makes two references to the incident.

".."the loose ball eventually fumbled through Stockdale's gloves for Perch to hammer home from close range"

and in the player ratings (5 for Stockdale, the worst apart from Halford's 4) "Allowed the ball to slip through his hands for the winner".

For me, the Stockdale "debate" on here has taken on a kind of weird bigger symbolism.

It's not merely a rational discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of our goalkeeper.

Some appear to be using this as some kind of loyalty test of how good an Albion fan you are - you get the comedy version in Finchley Seagull's crazed dribbling ranting but even many sensible fans seem to be saying, look, this season has been awful enough, this is a line in the sand we are now drawing on all the negativity, and if you are on the wrong side of that line regards Stockdale, you are a bit of a wanker.

I would appear to these sensible fans, chill out - no one is denying Stockdale's great saves, but the volume of mistakes means his position will always be under the spotlight, particularly with Walton coming through so rapidly.

My own personal feeling is that Stockdale is technically a very high standard keeper but the question mark is his temperament and nerves, hence the frequent mistakes, but that's just my opinion.

I'm actually more worried about whether Hughton has been told by the board that the big money signings Stockdale and Baldock have to be played so the transfer fees are not wasted. I think this puts Hughton in a really difficult spot.

For me, it doesn't really matter if we finish 13th or 21st this season, the outcome is the same. But next season every keeping blunder will be magnified way more than this season, if the aim is to try to finish 6th or higher.

Do you really think journalists form their own opinion of an incident, or use other's copy? The BBC website is known for it's inaccuracy.

I don't think you're likely to criticise other journalists, so don't bother answering that.

I know what I saw with my own eyes and the highlights from Player, confirm what I saw.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It probably doesnt help Stockdale with a fairly weak defence in front of him. By weak I mean considerably weaker than the last couple of season.

Yes yes I know the GD is better than those at the bottom but its still not as good as those at the top.

So yes Stockdales mistakes are being highlighted as invariably they seem to coincifde with a defensive brain fart as well from any of Benno, Bruno, Dunk, Greer or Halford.

Anyway Stockdale seems to remind me a bit of Ben Roberts. A decent goalkeeper when he concentrates on goalkeeper and stops thinking of himself as some sort of sweeper keeper.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What exactly was crazed about my response to your earlier post? However, rational you try to make yourself sound, you never comment when Stockdale has a good game and jump on the bandwagon when you think he's made a mistake. It's sad.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The penalty save against Birmingham changed that match and was, in my opinion, the sole catalyst for staying up. There's plenty of blame to go around and Stockdale is no worse than anyone else. If we were to end the season now (God I wish we could), nobody would get above a 5/10 except perhaps Dunk.

Followed up by the reflex save from a point blank header just before half time versus Derby.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Considering we have conceded around the same amount of goals than most top-half teams (only 2 less than Watford), yet we are one of the lowest goalscoring teams in the league, you can clearly see where our issues actually lie.

Some need to get their priorities right - our defence isnt perfect, but it certainly isnt the main issue here. If anything, Stockdale has probably single-handedly (no-pun intended) kept us up right now with some great saves, notably against Birmingham and Derby which changed the games in our favour.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Considering we have conceded around the same amount of goals than most top-half teams (only 2 less than Watford), yet we are one of the lowest goalscoring teams in the league, you can clearly see where our issues actually lie.

Some need to get their priorities right - our defence isnt perfect, but it certainly isnt the main issue here. If anything, Stockdale has probably single-handedly (no-pun intended) kept us up right now with some great saves, notably against Birmingham and Derby which changed the games in our favour.

Well said Sir. :clap2:

What exactly was crazed about my response to your earlier post? However, rational you try to make yourself sound, you never comment when Stockdale has a good game and jump on the bandwagon when you think he's made a mistake. It's sad.

The vast majority of your posts are looking down your nose on other fans because they have opinions about players, I reckon you have some self-esteem issues and have this weird need to puff yourself up in this way

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The vast majority of your posts are looking down your nose on other fans because they have opinions about players, I reckon you have some self-esteem issues and have this weird need to puff yourself up in this way

I could make all sorts of assumptions about you based on your posting but I really can't be bothered.

You still haven't answered my question (from the original post I made in this thread) or commented on why, if you have such a rational view, I never see you comment on Stockdale when he has a good game.

Most people on here seem to have a similar view to me, Stockdale had a slow start but has improved a lot and been one of our better players since November. Nobody ever said he didn't make mistakes. What is annoying is the same people piling onto every thread about Stockdale (or any player) slagging them off unfairly (and you are one of the ones who does this to Stockdale). It eventually pushed Barnes out of the club since when he's done pretty well for himself. I fear some people might not be happy until they do the same to Stockdale.

Do you really think journalists form their own opinion of an incident, or use other's copy? The BBC website is known for it's inaccuracy.

I don't think you're likely to criticise other journalists, so don't bother answering that.

I know what I saw with my own eyes and the highlights from Player, confirm what I saw.

I criticise other journalists all the time, there is no honour/loyalty among this particular band of thieves I can assure you :smile:

The sports guys do a very different job to me so i don't know how they operate. I suspect they would confer about a big incident to try and get a higher standard of accuracy - but I would actually see that producing a more reliable outcome, not a less reliable one.

There are actually a few sports jounos who post on NSC, maybe they would care to comment if there is recollection-comparing in this fashion? I would be guessing to say there is or isn't.

I could make all sorts of assumptions about you based on your posting but I really can't be bothered.

You still haven't answered my question (from the original post I made in this thread) or commented on why, if you have such a rational view, I never see you comment on Stockdale when he has a good game.

Most people on here seem to have a similar view to me, Stockdale had a slow start but has improved a lot and been one of our better players since November. Nobody ever said he didn't make mistakes. What is annoying is the same people piling onto every thread about Stockdale (or any player) slagging them off unfairly (and you are one of the ones who does this to Stockdale). It eventually pushed Barnes out of the club since when he's done pretty well for himself. I fear some people might not be happy until they do the same to Stockdale.

I can't be bothered replying to you, you abused me with childish insults earlier in this thread, so why should I bother?

I don't bother listening to your opinion any more because it's not about anything happening on the pitch, just your overbearing need to position yourself as NSC's No 1 superfan who never says anything remotely critical about the club or players. Just cringingly dull.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not go on twitter, dont understand it , but has anybody mentioned the crux of our problems we have lost reasonable players for whatever reason and not replaced 1 of them with a better player in that position.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Stockdale is primarily responsible for Brighton failing to get promotion. Face it you only need to win one then draw one to be up there. That means you can score one goal every other game and still get promoted.
I cannot believe Bournemouth play 4-2-4. I mean obviously they are going to score regularly if they do that!. Naive in the extreme!
The formation should be 6-3-1. Having said that I would much prefer not to have any forwards at all.
I do not believe football should be exiting and I object to the noise going on when I'm trying to concentrate on the game.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It eventually pushed Barnes out of the club since when he's done pretty well for himself. I fear some people might not be happy until they do the same to Stockdale.

Do people really believe this? Barnes left because he could earn more money, on a longer contract, in a team which were more likely to get to the Premier league than we were. Inference on here has been that Oscar wasn't that fussed either way and changed his mind at the last minute as to his importance to the team by which time it was too late.

I'm sure if we offered a grand more a week than Burnley he'd still be here. Equally, he'd still have gone to Burnley if we held 'Ashley Barnes fan club nights' in the Amex every day of the week and offered less money.

If Stockdale, or any other player, is bothered about what the public think, Twitter isn't the place for him.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Stockdale was our best player last season (when we were relegated!). He made fewer mistakes than the outfield players that led to goals and displayed more passion than any of the others. He was very popular at the Cottage and there was gnashing of teeth when he left. Having said that, his young replacement Marcus Bettinelli is probably going to be our Player of the Season and C*****a are apparently after him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Do people really believe this? Barnes left because he could earn more money, on a longer contract, in a team which were more likely to get to the Premier league than we were. Inference on here has been that Oscar wasn't that fussed either way and changed his mind at the last minute as to his importance to the team by which time it was too late.

I'm sure if we offered a grand more a week than Burnley he'd still be here. Equally, he'd still have gone to Burnley if we held 'Ashley Barnes fan club nights' in the Amex every day of the week and offered less money.

If Stockdale, or any other player, is bothered about what the public think, Twitter isn't the place for him.

It doesn't help. He would probably have been more keen to sign a new contract and not forced us to sell or lose him for nothing. I actually think, in Barnes' case, it was a part of him leaving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports