Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
He's has been terrible all season. We really did mess up letting TK go and getting Stockdale. Story of our recent transfer windows really..

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He has done that twice now. On saturday and against Cardiff.

If a ball is merely FLOATED into the area, with VERY little pace on it, and no whip towards goal, the BEST THING you can wish for as an attacker is to see the keeper coming out for it....let alone coming for it and then STOPPING.

It makes your job unbelievably easy. Just get the ball on target. No power needed, no direction towards the corners.

Terrible keeping. He clearly made his mind up he was coming for it before he could even judge the trajectory of the ball. At least if you make that error in judgement, don't then STOP. If you twist you must fully twist and wipe out anything in your path.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's has been terrible all season. We really did mess up letting TK go and getting Stockdale. Story of our recent transfer windows really..
But that just isn't the case.

He's been steadily improving, albeit from a pretty low benchmark, all season.

The TEAM lost on Saturday.
The team should have had the game won, within the first half hour.
The team should have defended better for Forest's only 3 attacks.
Stockdale should have done better for their equalizer.

If the team isn't going to improve, or dare I say get worse from Hyypia's reign, then it's the teams problem.
Not singling out one 100% error from one player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stockdale was rubbish at the start of the season, then Walton got a couple of games and did well. Stockdale then seemed to up his game but has deteriorated again. There's no visual evidence to suggest that Stockdale has established much of a rapport with his defence so I really don't see there's much of an argument to support Stockdale keeping his place.

Given him a rest, play Walton. If he does well then great, if he doesn't then maybe Stockdale will come back improved.

In addition, I rather be watching one of our own. What's the point of having an academy if your graduates don't even get a game when the incumbent is playing rubbish?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Riiiight...

So you're suggesting he should have been stood right on the near post (the post that the header went in off) rather than in the middle of the goal?

No, he should have been correctly positioned for that situation, middle of goal or otherwise, there is no way he should have been even considering going out for a flattish cross with several bodies in front of him. By the time he ummd and arrd it was too late.

If he had stayed on his line the ball would have comfortably bounced and he could have picked it up.

For me, his biggest weakness is the speed of his decision making and level of sharpness generally, but he's not as bad as people are making out and I would keep him in. He is still relatively young in terms of goalkeepers so hopefully is learning all the time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

TK wasn't much better by the end of last season, let's not rewrite history. He was also a surly ****, at least Stockdale seems like a team player. I am still not totally convinced by Stockdale but I prefer him to the 2014 TK.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stockdale was rubbish at the start of the season, then Walton got a couple of games and did well. Stockdale then seemed to up his game but has deteriorated again. There's no visual evidence to suggest that Stockdale has established much of a rapport with his defence so I really don't see there's much of an argument to support Stockdale keeping his place.

Given him a rest, play Walton. If he does well then great, if he doesn't then maybe Stockdale will come back improved.

In addition, I rather be watching one of our own. What's the point of having an academy if your graduates don't even get a game when the incumbent is playing rubbish?
Isn't Walton one of Plymouth's own?

What's the point of throwing 'a kid' to the wolves that is playing behind Greer and Dunk at the moment.
Sort that out first, and if CH still wants to change at least Walton will have a fighting chance.

He's a young goalkeeper not Paul Daniels.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, he should have been correctly positioned for that situation, middle of goal or otherwise, there is no way he should have been even considering going out for a flattish cross with several bodies in front of him. By the time he ummd and arrd it was too late.

If he had stayed on his line the ball would have comfortably bounced and he could have picked it up.

For me, his biggest weakness is the speed of his decision making and level of sharpness generally, but he's not as bad as people are making out and I would keep him in. He is still relatively young in terms of goalkeepers so hopefully is learning all the time.

The worst thing was that he changed his mind after he had started to come out and was left totally stranded, schoolboy stuff.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

What's the point of throwing 'a kid' to the wolves that is playing behind Greer and Dunk at the moment.
Sort that out first, and if CH still wants to change at least Walton will have a fighting chance.

Spot on. The trouble is with our hopeless defence Walton could easily have his confidence damaged and it could set back his development As per my post a few seconds ago, Stockdale is learning as well and is not as poor as many believe.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The worst thing was that he changed his mind after he had started to come out and was left totally stranded, schoolboy stuff.

Yes, that was the error. I think he would have struggled to get there even if he had been decisive, just a bad judgement call.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As Adam Virgo said on the radio yesterday...." Stockdale hasn't won any games for us this season but he has certainly lost us a few "

Turning into a bit of a **** then now he's a TV pundit, clearly wasn't at Fulham to name but one off the top of my head.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
watched the goals and he was at fault for their first two, made the wrong decision for the first, and didn't move for the second.

So have I - a free kick, kicked along the ground towards the goal should have been stopped by the wall - yes I know the ball was laid off but the wall should still have stopped the ball by moving to block it

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Goalkeepers make mistakes during games like anybody else but need luck and the support of teammates to get them out of trouble. Our keeper is not getting that at the moment.

If Walton is to play I would prefer that he starts in a home game rather than a more pressured away fixture. I reckon Stockdale will start the next two away games and CH should take stock after that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Ok, he came from Plymouth but he's been here 2 seasons and played with Ince, Rea, JFC, March and Dunk so is part of that young set of players that - if we are to achieve anything - will be an important part of it.

I look at how the current Spurs side are regularly playing Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Rose, and Townsend and how there's a dynamic there. Southampton did it last season too with their kids, I'd like to see us give gametime to ours so that we have 4 or 5 regularly in the side.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
He has cost us 3 goals in the last 2 games. Which is not good enough at this level. Walton must be kicking himself watching Stockdale making continuous errors and not being given a chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would take Walton a maximum run of three games where rotten luck/lack of experience cost us goals and maybe points before the hard-of-thinking on here got on his case a la JFC. Young players need bringing along gradually, they certainly don't need their confidence destroyed earlydoors by half-wits. With Stockdale, people tend to see only what they want to see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, he came from Plymouth but he's been here 2 seasons and played with Ince, Rea, JFC, March and Dunk so is part of that young set of players that - if we are to achieve anything - will be an important part of it.

I look at how the current Spurs side are regularly playing Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Rose, and Townsend and how there's a dynamic there. Southampton did it last season too with their kids, I'd like to see us give gametime to ours so that we have 4 or 5 regularly in the side.
But of all those players mentioned Walton is the only 'keeper.

He did well to earn the back up jersey, when the club cautiously drafted in El-Habsi. (sp)

I'm not arguing your point, I'd (we all) like to see the progression through the ranks, just now isn't the time for a potential startled rabbit, to be playing behind 4 definitely startled rabbits.

If the team actually pulled it's finger out and started challenging for mid table, we could end the season with a squad containing Walton, Chicksen, Dunk, Ince, Rae, JFC & March.
With some more from the development squad moving up a rung.

Happy, happy days.

Just not now, not like this.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Turning into a bit of a **** then now he's a TV pundit, clearly wasn't at Fulham to name but one off the top of my head.

Agree with Adam he is spot on , ok a couple of good saves at Fulham , apart from that I can hardly remember a decent save he has made all season . I also think Adam talks a lot of sense unlike you

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Spot on. The trouble is with our hopeless defence Walton could easily have his confidence damaged and it could set back his development As per my post a few seconds ago, Stockdale is learning as well and is not as poor as many believe.

I`m afraid he is.
Some of his bloomers this season would have embarassed a County League keeper.

Lovely guy, but some on this board now believe the routine saves he makes are exceptional.

As for the the hopeless defence, as an ex defender, many,many years ago, at a much lower standard, I can tell you there is nothing worse than playing in front of a keeper you dont have confidence in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here