Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He kept us in the 3-3 at Norwich with his saves at 2-1 down. Sadly, their third goal went straight through him.

As others have said, he isn't Graeme Smith. But he's pretty average. I would call him the new Wayne Henderson. Able to kick a ball but not keep it out of his onion bag.

Not how I remember the 3rd at Norwich, thought it was a sharp turn and shot out of his reach. I may be wrong though, might have a look for the video.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He kept us in the 3-3 at Norwich with his saves at 2-1 down. Sadly, their third goal went straight through him.

As others have said, he isn't Graeme Smith. But he's pretty average. I would call him the new Wayne Henderson. Able to kick a ball but not keep it out of his onion bag.

Had a quick look, think you're being a bit harsh. Not sure Kuszczak would have got it.

How good was Colunga at penalties though? :smile:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I believe the issue is Stockdale has lost confidence in the defence to deal with crosses and is therefore at times coming for balls he should not be. Halford and Hughes should come into the side for Greer and Bruno in my opinion. This would give us 2 commanding headers of the ball we don't currently have and give stockdale less decisions to make in this regard. Simples :)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I don't agree, having also played at a fairly reasonable level and trained a number of county league keepers in the last 20 years, the saves vs Wolves, Fulham and Rotherham were certainly to a high level and potential 'game changers'.

Whilst I recognise and agree regarding the need for confidence, it is a two-way thing, and if the defenders are not doing their job properly it can lead to a keeper making rash decisions (see Saturday).

I think this is the issue. Whilst I feel Stockdale is no better than average at this level I see the main problem is with the defenders and their organisation. I doubt if PIG would fare much better between the posts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think this is the issue. Whilst I feel Stockdale is no better than average at this level I see the main problem is with the defenders and their organisation. I doubt if PIG would fare much better between the posts.
But that doesn't help us lifelong fans in our search for back-up scapegoat when JFC doesn't play.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it a chicken and egg situation Stockdale is suffering by the cover in front of him or the back four are struggling with crosses cos they have no confidence in DS getting to them.

It is obvious something has got to change and I would suggest that CH & CC have got to look at the make up of the back four abd adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Wow we've been mugged off for this fella. £1 million quid and he turns up over weight! Then even when he does lose some timber he continues to lose us points.

Horror signing and an awful keeper

He has cost us dearly on more then one occasion, But £1 Million?. Where did you get that from. Fee was undisclosed. And Fulham only paid £800,000 at the peak of his career.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I don't agree, having also played at a fairly reasonable level and trained a number of county league keepers in the last 20 years, the saves vs Wolves, Fulham and Rotherham were certainly to a high level and potential 'game changers'.

Whilst I recognise and agree regarding the need for confidence, it is a two-way thing, and if the defenders are not doing their job properly it can lead to a keeper making rash decisions (see Saturday).

Are you saying the defense weren't defending properly before Stockdales rash decision Saturday?
If he came for the ball it would have been his first involvement in the game, prior to that we were comfortable.
Forest were restricted to six shots, with three on target, during the game, that's not poor defending.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Just watched the highlights again. 1st goal was 100% savable by any keeper on his line. 2nd was a complete lottery. Smash the ball through 20 legs and you are very lucky that it gets to the goal. Not savable unless you are just as lucky as the shooter. 3rd not his fault but the defence.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Is it a chicken and egg situation Stockdale is suffering by the cover in front of him or the back four are struggling with crosses cos they have no confidence in DS getting to them

its got nothing to do with the defence , Stockdale just does not know when to stay on his line or when to come for crosses , because his judgement is poor and decision making is poor .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No he was not ,it was a good corner lots of people in the box , no way was it the keepers fault

It was at least partially, his fault, if you are looking to apportion blame. Dunk challenged for it, no more than 6 yards from the goal line, and the keeper was nowhere. Not that we need take your opinion too seriously, if you think it came from a corner.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I believe the issue is Stockdale has lost confidence in the defence to deal with crosses and i
s therefore at times coming for balls he should not be. Halford and Hughes should come into the side for Greer and Bruno in my opinion. This would give us 2 commanding headers of the ball we don't currently have and give stockdale less decisions to make in this regard. Simples :)

Stockdale been poor since the first game , poor keeper , if you compare him to the other championship keepers you will see he is not up to the standard required

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Are you saying the defense weren't defending properly before Stockdales rash decision Saturday?
If he came for the ball it would have been his first involvement in the game, prior to that we were comfortable.
Forest were restricted to six shots, with three on target, during the game, that's not poor defending.

I'm picking up on your point re trust. The thought of trying to get through 2 or 3 players to get to a ball approx. 8-10yds out, IMO shouldn't have even been entering Stockdales mind, it was a poor decision on his part, I don't think that can be debated.

We were comfortable as you say until that point.

However, I'm not sure you can attribute the restriction of Forest shots purely down to defending, it was largely because of good possession retention by ourselves. Turning it on its head 50% of their shots were on target, you could ask why weren't the defenders stopping them?

The second and third goals were a result of rank bad defending. (The third once again from our left side, when we had players practically boxed in on the touchline - simply not good enough).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not how I remember the 3rd at Norwich, thought it was a sharp turn and shot out of his reach. I may be wrong though, might have a look for the video.

Had a quick look, think you're being a bit harsh. Not sure Kuszczak would have got it.

How good was Colunga at penalties though? :smile:

I might be being a bit harsh, I honestly think Kuszczak would have been in a better position to try and deal with it, I thought he was off balance or just plain not expecting an early shot. Either way, Michel Kuipers doesn't get beaten so easily in that position and that's the barometer all Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeepers will be compared to in my mind! That said, Stockdale played very well that day and had we won the game it would have been largely down to his saves - Norwich could have run away with that game when they went 2-1 up, we weren't in it until the equaliser massively against the run of play.

He was pretty handy, shame he didn't contribute much else! Cracking cross for Bruno's goal that day though to be fair to him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is it a chicken and egg situation Stockdale is suffering by the cover in front of him or the back four are struggling with crosses cos they have no confidence in DS getting to them.

It is obvious something has got to change and I would suggest that CH & CC have got to look at the make up of the back four abd adjust accordingly.

Interesting thumbs down you gave me earlier BG, just wondered if you are saying Stockdale should have saved the 3rd at Norwich?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I might be being a bit harsh, I honestly think Kuszczak would have been in a better position to try and deal with it, I thought he was off balance or just plain not expecting an early shot. Either way, Michel Kuipers doesn't get beaten so easily in that position and that's the barometer all Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeepers will be compared to in my mind! That said, Stockdale played very well that day and had we won the game it would have been largely down to his saves - Norwich could have run away with that game when they went 2-1 up, we weren't in it until the equaliser massively against the run of play.

He was pretty handy, shame he didn't contribute much else! Cracking cross for Bruno's goal that day though to be fair to him.

We may have to disagree re the third, however excellent point re Kuipers, he possibly would have saved it, as perhaps in the 40 years I've watched I'm not sure we've had a better keeper on his line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here