Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Kuszczak was in no way a poor keeper (expect perhaps in his distribution) but I have to echo KTR's comment about the contrasting quality of the team's playing in front of the goalie. A lot of people seem to be forgetting the number of mistakes PIG had been making during the run in last season as well (see: Forest away). Stockdale had a poor start to his Albion career, unquestionably so, but has vastly improved in recent months. One mistake yesterday doesn't automatically make him shithouse. What he doesn't need now is the fans getting on his back again. He needs to keep his confidence which was crucial to his run of form.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the points Stockdale has lost us with his mistakes out weigh those that he has gained us with unexpected saves but also believe that the reasons dont stop with him. Calderon is poor, Bruno only slightly better defensively and so are both Greer an Bennett. The back four isnt good enough now and doesnt provide sufficient cover for any keeper.
As both Hughton and Calderwood were defenders we can only hope they can guide them on the right road.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As Adam Virgo said on the radio yesterday...." Stockdale hasn't won any games for us this season but he has certainly lost us a few "

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As Adam Virgo said on the radio yesterday...." Stockdale hasn't won any games for us this season but he has certainly lost us a few "

So you and he weren't at Fulham then? Or Norwich/Wolves where we would have probably lost without him. Brentford home in the league he kept us in it and it's hardly his fault that we didn't score to make the most of it.

As said before, people have an agenda and ignore everything that doesn't agree with it. The only games that Stockdale has dropped us points in are arguably yesterday (although I'm still not convinced he'd have got to a header that hit the post and went in) and Cardiff. All others weren't errors. They're either made up by people who have an agenda or ones where he might have done better e.g. Charlton home, which happen to keepers all the time.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Seems to be improving but the first goal was def his fault and another Cardiff. It's like he was bored of not being in the action so felt he needed to prove something again. Came off his line almost as a pre determined action then got caught in no mans land. It was a horrifically soft header too - not proper contact and should never have been allowed to go in - almost in slow motion. If he'd stated in his line he would've casually caught the poor header. So annoying!

Yup, pretty much sums it up for me! You spend virtually the entire first half controlling the game, creating chances and finally scoring just for this to happen. You'd think someone with his experience would have better judgement. Lets just hope he's going through the equivalent of a strikers barren spell and comes out the other end a better keeper. I just hope we don't get relegated waiting for that to happen.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Bring in Walton, the new generation and one we know will just get better and better.
Stockdale on the other hand seems to have peaked already.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you and he weren't at Fulham then? Or Norwich/Wolves where we would have probably lost without him. Brentford home in the league he kept us in it and it's hardly his fault that we didn't score to make the most of it.

As said before, people have an agenda and ignore everything that doesn't agree with it. The only games that Stockdale has dropped us points in are arguably yesterday (although I'm still not convinced he'd have got to a header that hit the post and went in) and Cardiff. All others weren't errors. They're either made up by people who have an agenda or ones where he might have done better e.g. Charlton home, which happen to keepers all the time.

You seem unable to differentiate between when people say he made a mistake like yesterday and Cardiff and when people say he coud, should, and be expected to have done better like the 2nd goal yesterday and the Blackpool goal.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You seem unable to differentiate between when people say he made a mistake like yesterday and Cardiff and when people say he coud, should, and be expected to have done better like the 2nd goal yesterday and the Blackpool goal.

I give up arguing with you. You have such a pathetic anti Stockdale agenda, it's pointless. How the hell could he have done more with yesterday's second goal? It went at speed and got a massive deflection to change direction.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Yes, it is a well known tactic in football to stick a 19 year old goalkeeper in when you're in a relegation battle. Brilliant tactics.

If he's good enough what difference does it make?

You can always make a reason why an inexperienced player shouldn't play. Bringing him in during a relegation battle would not only raise his confidence and morale but what a time to gain the experience he desperately needs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
These are the saves you hope your keeper will make as TK did many times, but DS cannot be relied on or expected to make them. To quote Clough when he bought Shilton a good keeper can make a difference of 20 points to you. Will Stockdale do that for the £1m fee? It is all about opinions you can see no wrong in DS I dont think he is good and consistent enough for us but accepted that he got better recently and then comes yet another calamity. Scoring just before half time put us on course for 3 points but his mistake killed us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If he's good enough what difference does it make?

You can always make a reason why an inexperienced player shouldn't play. Bringing him in during a relegation battle would not only raise his confidence and morale but what a time to gain the experience he desperately needs.

Other positions, I would tend to agree but goalkeepers are different. With our defence looking poor, there's a far greater chance in my view that he'll make mistakes which might put his development back rather than forward. Also, judging by the Stockdale abuse, he probably would be slagged off relentlessly on here after one or two mistakes.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
These are the saves you hope your keeper will make as TK did many times, but DS cannot be relied on or expected to make them. To quote Clough when he bought Shilton a good keeper can make a difference of 20 points to you. Will Stockdale do that for the £1m fee? It is all about opinions you can see no wrong in DS I dont think he is good and consistent enough for us but accepted that he got better recently and then comes yet another calamity. Scoring just before half time put us on course for 3 points but his mistake killed us.

You don't get it do you. I do see wrong in Stockdale, I just get pissed off with the relentless abuse he gets on for one mistake and the fact that these people won't even accept he has a good game when he does.

He made a mistake yesterday for the first goal, whether or not he would have got it. But few people seem to be commenting on the fact that it was a stupid free kick for Texeira to give away and that the defence didn't deal with the cross. To blame him for the second goal perfectly illustrates my point. If Kuszczak had conceded that, you wouldn't even consider blaming him (same with the goal at Blackpool) but as it furthers your agenda, you blame Stockdale.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To blame him for the second goal perfectly illustrates my point. If Kuszczak had conceded that, you wouldn't even consider blaming him (same with the goal at Blackpool) but as it furthers your agenda, you blame Stockdale.

It is you that wont understand nobody blamed him for the 2nd yesterday or Blackpool but most, other than you, think he could have done better and made an effort to save them that is what defines a good keeper from a run of the mill keeper.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The 2nd went in off of at least two players from the free kick, 'keeper had no chance whatsoever

fff.jpg

Stockdale IN.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It is you that wont understand nobody blamed him for the 2nd yesterday or Blackpool but most, other than you, think he could have done better and made an effort to save them that is what defines a good keeper from a run of the mill keeper.

Except there is nothing he could have done about either. It's just the agenda that certain people on here have that irritates me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here