Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale poor again

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is just as concerning is giving a goal away in injury time for the second successive match. That's not promotion form. And why did Hughton take Baldock off? We had been doing very very nicely thank you in the second half. Why make an unnecessary change? And against ten men in the last ten minutes we should have been pushing forward at every opportunity for a third goal to make the game safe. Instead Stockdale is time-wasting with goal kicks and we're playing crossfield balls. Madness. We threw away two points today. Embarrassing.

Only had to retain possession but even then, Murphy had a simple pass over the head of Murray and the defender marking him into acres of space (Murray was poised to spin) but no, couldn't lift the ball high enough.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
You must be stupid or were not at the game. It was a terrible ball back to Stockdale from Bruno. They were both culpable in the goal. Apart from that, what else did Stockdale do wrong, bearing in mind he had no chance with the second goal and had nothing else to save!

His positioning is all wrong for the second.

Look at the highlights, it looks like he was in touching distance of the near post when the ball leaves the bloke's head. In the right position he saves easily.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was a really bad back pass by Bruno but Stockdale could have hacked it away rather than try to control it.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I'd say. Interestingly Stockdale did a mini mazy dribble in his box only a couple of minutes later and got away with it. If he hadn't, the knives would REALLY have been out. Instead he got a CHEER! :lol:

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I posted a thread about a month ago wondering how Maenpaa isn't getting a game and I still can't really understand it. Stockdale hasn't reached anywhere near the levels of last season and looks tentative and nervous a lot of the time to me. Bruno's pass back was abysmal but DS still had time to head it out of the danger zone. I had hoped the defensive masterclass from Dunk and Duffy in front of him previously would give him confidence but obviously not.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bruno to blame for the first for me, put stockdale under immense pressure. Not great from stockdale but the pass goes against everything in the coaching manual. Duffy poor for the second. Got outmuscled by the striker and ended up the wrong side of him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was a really bad back pass by Bruno but Stockdale could have hacked it away rather than try to control it.

Yep - was 50/50 mistake. Stockdale tried to chest it and be clever - if he'd hit it first time or used his thigh (softer cushion) we'd have been fine with the dodgy back pass. Would have at least liked him to try for the equaliser - seemed to stand still as it bounced in tamely....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Difficult to judge Stockdale as he has had two good centre backs in front of him so he has not had a lot to do. When called on today he cocked up his handling of a very poor back pass. Bruno made initial mistake but really should have been sorted by the keeper.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
1 goal conceded in 5 games before today? God, he must be awful.

That's our defence playing really well , he has hardly had a shot to save , today I don't think PNE had a shot on goal apart from the 2 goals both of which he should on done so much better . Need I go back and tell you the about the goals at Reading and Newcastle , sorry mate we need a top keeper ,Stockdale is not a top notch keeper . Maybe the Finn is ,he certainly deserves a chance

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With that ball back to him who's surprised ..after Bruno tried to play a silly back heel

They were both culpable no doubt about it for me, but I would go 60-40 Bruno. The first half was the worst I've ever seen Bruno play.

The thing is in Stockdale's defence, is that no goalkeeper should ever have to deal with a skied back-pass. Stockdale becomes culpable for me, when he tries to control it rather than head it, knee it, volley it or anything......

Stockdale has not been himself this season, and even the second he was a little indecisive and then flat footed as the ball went in. He is a good goalkeeper, but I just wish he'd stop doing Cruyth turns - he will get caught out.

First was Bruno's mistake

No it wasn't - while it wasn't a good pass back a competent keeper would have row Z'ed it - he tried to be clever because he fancies his football skills and he then let his teammates down - the galling thing was Preston were a truly mediocre team - what gifts today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On a related point, when will they stop watering the fvcking pitch before games when heavy rain is forecast about an hour after the watering. At what point in history did watering the pitch ever help defenders, or anybody else, control the ball? ???

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No it wasn't - while it wasn't a good pass back a competent keeper would have row Z'ed it - he tried to be clever because he fancies his football skills and he then let his teammates down - the galling thing was Preston were a truly mediocre team - what gifts today

Sums up my feelings, feels like the Bolton game last season 2 points dropped against a poor side that could really hurt us come the end of the season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's our defence playing really well , he has hardly had a shot to save , today I don't think PNE had a shot on goal apart from the 2 goals both of which he should on done so much better . Need I go back and tell you the about the goals at Reading and Newcastle , sorry mate we need a top keeper ,Stockdale is not a top notch keeper . Maybe the Finn is ,he certainly deserves a chance

Yawn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here