Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale poor again

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The 8th clean sheet from 13 games.

It's well known on Nsc that you're biased.

It's well known on NSC that most people think Stockdale can do no wrong, hence someone jumping to his defence within a minute of my post! We can go over the clean sheet 'run' again if you can tell me any out of the ordinary saves Stockdale made during that period.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's well known on NSC that most people think Stockdale can do no wrong, hence someone jumping to his defence within a minute of my post! We can go over the clean sheet 'run' again if you can tell me any out of the ordinary saves Stockdale made during that period.

Ive never said that Stockdale can do no wrong. I've never started a thread about him.
Don't try to defend your bias, by accusing others of bias.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What a load of garbage. Most people on NSC accept he makes mistakes and most accept that every goalkeeper does.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a load of garbage. Most people on NSC accept he makes mistakes and most accept that every goalkeeper does.
Correct. Views on Stockdale seem very even handed by NSC standards. Absolute nonsense from the OP there.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bit like Bong early doors fair to say last couple of games Stockers was not having the best of games.

Made up for it tonite tho.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

A minority actually but most of these jump on threads started by the minority who sit and wait and wait and wait and then when he makes a minor mistake its drop Stockdale time.

Personally I felt he made one error last night when he punched the corner in the first half that nearly went in and he ended up off the pitch with the ball still in the six yard area. From my view I thought they had scored with the shot from outside the box over a big bunch of players until he dived and saved it. If that was a TV save then so be it.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I thought that was a save that I would have expected him to make.

Because he's a very good goalkeeper.

Nail. Head.

By HIS own standards he knows there's room for improvement but I'll back him to get over his momentary blip.

The mark of any team is to not play that great and still win. When your keeper can do that and keep clean sheets - the highest number in the division - you KNOW you have someone special.

A chap in front of me in WSU was waiting for him to do something worthy of a full on stand up while everyone was sat down and ball him out moment and customarily did so in the second half when a lose ball arrived in the area, Stockdale rushed out to claim it with an audible shout of "mine" only for Duffy to not hear him and head it out. The chap claimed Stockdale was rubbish and terrible only to be customarily put firmly back in his place by me and a large proportion of our block. Some people just love to see others fail it's pathetic.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Out of the ordinary saves.... i just dont get this as an opinion.

Maybe his positioning is very good, so that he makes those saves look easier than they are?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Out of the ordinary saves.... i just dont get this as an opinion.

Maybe his positioning is very good, so that he makes those saves look easier than they are?

Not ordinary saves, not exceptional saves, but very good saves.

[tweet]788484784381198336[/tweet]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well known? Really? First ive heard of it...oh and by the way it was three minutes before the first reply..and that means sod all..personally being stuck in the bridge car park post game gives one a lot of time to look at NSC
As an aside some numpty tried to drive a tipper truck under the tiny bridge to get into the bridge car park last night ...and then got stuck for ten minutes before having to reverse out...still NSC took away the boredom

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I haven't seen any posts that suggest people think that Stockdale can do no wrong. I think perhaps that people just feel that any mistakes he makes are used to make him a scapegoat. I have defended DS on here and yet fully accept there are times when he makes mistakes. This makes him no different from any other keeper. Perhaps you need to look at the bigger picture of his overall net contribution to our team. I have seen Albion goalkeepers vilified at matches by our own fans (particularly during the Withdean years) and I struggle to understand the psychology that drives this urge to constantly undermine our players. Perhaps if the tone of this criticism were more constructive and supportive you would find a better debate.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The only thing I thought about him last night is that he should have caught the last shot that he parried for another corner. Game over if he catches it. As it panned out it wasn't a costly error. Cant really criticize a clean sheet.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

The irony is that the opposite is true. For some on here, Stockdale can do no right. They generally shut up last year because they didn't have any case. This season, they seem to have come back despite us having the level best defensive record in the league.

In this thread, you and a couple of others have basically come up with a number of goals you blame Stockdale for (a couple maybe he could have done better but he's not made a really bad error except possibly Reading's first goal, which did take a deflection). You've blamed him for both goals on Saturday when Bruno was more to blame for the first and others certainly should have done more with the second before it got to him. And, you say he's played virtually no part in our good defensive record. Then, when others challenge you on this odd attitude, all you can come up with is Stockdale can do no wrong sarcastically. Maybe if you didn't criticise him so unfairly, people wouldn't feel the need to come on here and defend him. Why not support the players rather than starting threads unfairly criticising them? I know it's a strange idea for fans but maybe give it a go.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I don't think you can complain too much about Stockdale when he's got the most clean sheets in the league so far.

I think Preston's first goal on Saturday was down to both him and Bruno. The pass was horrendous, but Stockdale seemed to get caught in two minds with how to deal with it and completely fluffed his lines. However, their second goal was due to most of the team. We stopped pressing the ball, invited the pressure and paid for it. The goal wasn't the result of any particular players mistake, but due to a complete change in mind set from the entire team.

Stockdale has pulled off numerous good saves so far this season, as well as making a couple of silly errors. He parried the ball way too often last and should've been catching it. But again, this was during the period of the game where we sat back and invited pressure.

But Stockdale's contribution is much more than just pulling off a good save. He's a good team player. And more importantly, the team have confidence in him. If a team doesn't have confidence in their goalkeeper, it shows, and they become shaky all the way through from defence to attack. But when a team has confidence in their keeper, they become much more stable and comfortable with and without the ball. And for me, that is where his true value lies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here