Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] still not treading hallowed Goldstone Ground

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
It was just football. Proper football. Pay on the gate football. It was in town. We had proper transport options. Huge choice of walkable pubs. You didn't even have to think about it. No big deal. You just went to football. You just sort of assumed it would be there forever. OK, by the end the Goldstone was a shithole. But it was our shithole. We've gained a bit given the Amex, but jeez we've lost so much

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I vowed never to go there did ok till 11 years ago when mrs hangleton got pregnant with my eldest she forced me to go to toys r us now I’m ok to go there

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
No. Still won’t go on that shit redevelopment. If they built a proper and substantial memorial to the Goldstone (Charlie Webb/Wardy)…

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
‘er indoors is buying a sofa, i’m already upset she is getting it from that furniture shop on the sacred Goldstone site. She wants me to go in to the shop and sit on it to be sure but stropped when i refused to set foot on what i see as treading on the grave. Am I alone?
Nope. Never been back or passed since midnight after getting back from Hereford. The Goldstone remains The Goldstone etched in my memory. Never even seen a picture of what replaced it.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I too have never set foot in there and never will, admittedly I'm not local but if I've ever needed to go past in a car I look the other way if the passenger or look straight ahead if driving.

As much as I adore some aspects of the club's current standing (plenty of non Albion work colleagues lauding our club and how it is run) there seems to be to me something missing. No 2pm decision to shoot down the A23 to see a game on the spur of the moment (which I did for the York City match in '96) no away days against almost as terribly bad non-league opposition in the FA Cup (when it meant something) such as Canvey Island home and away.

I think we have almost reached "peak Albion" so I'm enjoying the associated media circus and doubt it will ever get any better than this.

Also sad to think of all the Albion fans who never got to witness the Amex and PL era...

God I sound so melancholic.

Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be in football for sure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Difficult one, very difficult one. I wouldn't ever go into those shops.

But I have been back - once, to the see the gold stone in Hove Park

And then stood in the car park to remember the atmosphere of the West and North stands and the East Terrace. The seats that were in the South Stand above the terrace that my Grandparents, Dad and Uncles (and me) sat in as a kid are now in the Retail Units.

Once to remember them all 😥, but I won't be back again.

It's a bit like visiting a grave - there's nothing there now - just the memories.
Exactly the same for me. Paid my one and only visit on the way to the Amex for the first pre-season friendly.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
What you don't want to be doing is using those sofa stores DFS owns Sofology so they are both as bad. Read the negative comments on Trustpilot FIRST. Forget the 5* nonsense, they get you to give that feedback in the shop. Read the 1* stuff about deliveries etc. Shocking companies.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Depends on how often or when you went, I only started going properly during our slow painful slide down the football pyramid. Therefore the crowds were not swollen, I did not witness great nights or Saturdays afternoons with crowds swaying in the north stand, or leave my Doc Martens outside. I witnessed the gradual decline and lack of investment in the ground, it was awful to be honest, basically it was a a shithole, no two ways about it.
That is not to say, it was our home and I was as passionate as anyone to keep the Albion alive, to me it holds to many bad, anxious, sad memories for me to miss it.

Ergo, I had no issue going to shops on the retail park if required.

Guess I am a bad fan ?
I don’t think it matters what era you supported. I was there in the Goldstone glory days of the late 70s and early 80s but moved on a long time ago. You have to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Weirdly I like going there now. It’s all turned out so well I find it exciting to stand and remember how it was. If we’d disappeared I don’t think I’d have been within a mile of the place though.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I SAUNTER around there knowing we won.

That lot did enough harm to us. I'll be f***ed if they're going to deprive me of a CHEEKY NANDOS and a massive bottle of designer shampoo for a fiver from TK Max.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here