Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] still not treading hallowed Goldstone Ground

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As said, we won in the end. To me it's just a shopping park and I don't really think about it now. I've been there a few times.

The Goldstone was a tip really. Some memories of great games. But those memories remain. I have no other sentiment.

I just wouldn't shop somewhere that was Archer related. I'm not sure what his investments are though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Depends on how often or when you went, I only started going properly during our slow painful slide down the football pyramid. Therefore the crowds were not swollen, I did not witness great nights or Saturdays afternoons with crowds swaying in the north stand, or leave my Doc Martens outside. I witnessed the gradual decline and lack of investment in the ground, it was awful to be honest, basically it was a a shithole, no two ways about it.
That is not to say, it was our home and I was as passionate as anyone to keep the Albion alive, to me it holds to many bad, anxious, sad memories for me to miss it.

Ergo, I had no issue going to shops on the retail park if required.

Guess I am a bad fan ?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I have not been past the site of the Goldstone since the Doncaster 97 game, detouring by car on the one or two occasions I’ve been nearby. Will never go to any branch of the furniture & toy (went bust I think) shops that moved in and will never visit the pet & DIY businesses of Archer.

Swore I would never go there but now, top 6, Europe, Amex maybe I could be persuaded …

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I occasionally have, er, occasion to walk up from Preston Park and over and down into Hove. To this day, I still half-expect to see the Goldstone floodlights as I come down into Hove Park :down:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Yes, had to go into said furniture shop as well. Although, in my defence, I drove to Croydon branch first but second and third visits were in Brighton. Refused point blank for food at BK or the other place (Nandos?).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I originally used to swerve the site but then I started running Hove Park Run so inevitably I saw it.

I haven’t shopped there I haven’t had a need.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The moment the ground was torn down, the site no longer held any meaning for me, despite the Goldstone being my football 'spiritual' home.
The only reason I don't go there is because there are no outlets which interest me.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Been there loads of times, wasn't great the 1st time but life moves on and family are more important than football. To me refusing to go back is a bit like not being able to handle a relationship split up or a divorce?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Playing the devil's advocate card:

If it weren't for us losing the Goldstone, would we be at the Amex now?

Would we be in the PL?

Would we be watching the best football we've ever seen?

Would TB have become owner? (okay maybe this one yes tbf, eventually)

Who knows, but my personal thought is, as harsh as it sounds, what has happened has happened and as horrific as it was, we can't change it, and the last few years has been a dream.

And no, I haven't been there - but don't live in Brighton anymore so *shrug*

Trying to focus on positives rather than let the past affect things!

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
‘er indoors is buying a sofa, i’m already upset she is getting it from that furniture shop on the sacred Goldstone site. She wants me to go in to the shop and sit on it to be sure but stropped when i refused to set foot on what i see as treading on the grave. Am I alone?
Tread on it nearly every day centre circle is part of my garden 😂

Jul 7, 2003
I will always have a lot of fond ( and some not so fond) memories of the Goldstone but as a club we have moved on and as a person, so have I.

Been to a couple of the shops there over the years including the furniture shop. Weirdly, the first time I went in there though, I felt really unwell as soon as I walked in the door, as soon as I was back outside that feeling passed.

One last comment about the furniture store. An old mate of mine works there and he tells me not to buy their stuff as it is not great quality.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was just football. Proper football. Pay on the gate football. It was in town. We had proper transport options. Huge choice of walkable pubs. You didn't even have to think about it. No big deal. You just went to football. You just sort of assumed it would be there forever. OK, by the end the Goldstone was a shithole. But it was our shithole. We've gained a bit given the Amex, but jeez we've lost so much

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
As said, we won in the end. To me it's just a shopping park and I don't really think about it now. I've been there a few times.

The Goldstone was a tip really. Some memories of great games. But those memories remain. I have no other sentiment.

I just wouldn't shop somewhere that was Archer related. I'm not sure what his investments are though.
This. However a boycott was easy for me as I live on the other side of the parish

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I will always have a lot of fond ( and some not so fond) memories of the Goldstone but as a club we have moved on and as a person, so have I.

Been to a couple of the shops there over the years including the furniture shop. Weirdly, the first time I went in there though, I felt really unwell as soon as I walked in the door, as soon as I was back outside that feeling passed.

One last comment about the furniture store. An old mate of mine works there and he tells me not to buy their stuff as it is not great quality.
There are 3 furniture stores there??? All crap???

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I originally used to swerve the site but then I started running Hove Park Run so inevitably I saw it.

I haven’t shopped there I haven’t had a need.
You know there’s a LIDL and a TK Maxx there don’t you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here