Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] still not treading hallowed Goldstone Ground

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Difficult one, very difficult one. I wouldn't ever go into those shops.

But I have been back - once, to the see the gold stone in Hove Park

And then stood in the car park to remember the atmosphere of the West and North stands and the East Terrace. The seats that were in the South Stand above the terrace that my Grandparents, Dad and Uncles (and me) sat in as a kid are now in the Retail Units.

Once to remember them all 😥, but I won't be back again.

It's a bit like visiting a grave - there's nothing there now - just the memories.

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
I haven't set foot on the site since we left, and have no intention of doing so in the future. Do drive past the site every time I go to the Amex though.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It’s very much personal choice. Personally I was of the view that until we had a permanent home, I wouldn’t go there, though I found the idea of refusing to drive past a bit extreme to me, but there you go.

After we nested as the Amex, I even stretched it on another couple of years before setting foot on the site about 9 years ago.

Going there doesn’t make people bad fans.
Not going there doesn’t make you an Albion Saint.

It’s the memories that count, and it was now a very very long time ago. I now find it quite nice when we go there to talk to my children and explain what it was like for me, and pointing out imaginary moments.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
‘er indoors is buying a sofa, i’m already upset she is getting it from that furniture shop on the sacred Goldstone site. She wants me to go in to the shop and sit on it to be sure but stropped when i refused to set foot on what i see as treading on the grave. Am I alone?
No, I'm with you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
‘er indoors is buying a sofa, i’m already upset she is getting it from that furniture shop on the sacred Goldstone site. She wants me to go in to the shop and sit on it to be sure but stropped when i refused to set foot on what i see as treading on the grave. Am I alone?
Worse, I’d throw the strop if my wife tried to buy something from there at all!

Each to their own though, in the grand scheme of things it makes no difference at all.

I am a bit of a hypocrite though as my wife bought our daughter something from Toys R Us many years ago when said item wasn’t available anywhere else reasonably close to us. I just mumbled a complaint but didn’t try and stop her.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Luckily, I'm too lazy to hold a grudge. Been in Lidls a few times with the better half.
I'm more upset with Brighton becoming a no go zone.....unless you're looking for a charity shop, a coffee house or student accommodation....or looking to score some illicit dealings, apparently

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The day of the official opening of our stadium, we had a ceremony of unveiling a memory board on the opposite corner in Hove Park. It shows pictures of the ground, and the Albion’s story.
Tim Carder worked hard with the council to get it erected there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here