[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Definitely still pro Potter.

The very same struggles, entirely different coaches in CH and GP, have had, reveal squad deficiencies.

1. Right back defending weakness against teams with a classy left side (most PL teams).
2. A lack of pace in centre midfield.
3. No centre forward to replace Muzza.
4. Erratic performance levels and a lack of pace from the creators Propper and Gross. Good on their day, other matches pass them by, Propper prone to suicidal mistakes giving rise to costly counter attacks.

5. A centre back that cant tackle, head or defend but gets picked every week virtually.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It was Chelsea, one of the best teams in the country. And we weren’t awful at all, just struggled to deal with them, but still managed a point in the end, and could have won it. I don’t understand what people expect, we’re a small team in the Premier League in a relegation battle!
This, I said after the game that was Webster’s best performance for us apart from the bizarre goal they scored they didn’t really have a sniff. Yes Stephens got in the way at Spurs apart from that Webster kept Kane at bay and let’s not forget it’s the lads first season in the PL not sure what people are expecting. Some are obsessed with Ben White who looks a prospect but probably would also struggle in the PL at the first attempt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was Chelsea, one of the best teams in the country. And we weren’t awful at all, just struggled to deal with them, but still managed a point in the end, and could have won it. I don’t understand what people expect, we’re a small team in the Premier League in a relegation battle!

I don’t expect any more than that, money talks in modern football. We have a relegation mix player budget and are very much in the relegation mix. I never criticise Potter, I rate him highly.

But we’re allowed to discuss our squad/team/performance failings. I know people who spent big money to go to Goodison, who were bitterly disappointed, that sinking feeling, that from the first second yet again we weren’t at the races. Against far lesser opposition, 9 outfield players ambling against Massive. We can criticise, this isn’t the happy clappy Kings Church of football forums.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I’m keeping the faith. We are a team still very much in transition. But I like his intelligence and humility. He knows he’s still learning and has made mistakes but some, not enough - yet - of our football has been a joy to watch. This is a much tighter and tougher league than last season but I think we’ll be ok.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The problem now is ''The Genie is out of the bottle'' so to speak - Expectations have been raised. Either intentionally or unintentionally. The relative success in the style of play has raised some fans expectations and when that happens, it is difficult to put the cap back on the bottle.

The fact that results haven't mirrored what ''some people perceive'' to be a better style of football then it is always going to come with frustration when results don't follow. It's a different style of play, it seems to be the style of play that the fans have craved but whether they admit it or not if results don't follow then there is always going to be a bit of a backlash if it doesn't bring results.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I really like what Potter's doing and he and the team will have my support but I think it'll go to the last game of the season. Our matches in March and April are daunting. He's learning, the team are learning but we are too often a soft touch and we are incredibly inconsistent. At Arsenal and Palace we were magnificent but the 9-1 the bookies are offering on our relegation seems bizarrely higher than our direct competition. Only Norwich look adrift.
.just going to enjoy the ride. Will still have a season ticket next year regardless.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm actually very comfortable with how things are at the moment. We were never gonna get anything at goodison especially with Mooy out, they are one of the best home teams in the premier season after season and have a decent squad.

We are not bossing games as much as the beginning of the season but we still look pretty decent.

I believe we will comfortably beat villa who are rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
How can anyone not keep faith, he has turned us into a pretty entertaining (especially compared to last season)team to watch and as they say 'Rome wasn't built in a day'
I think Potter will build on this season and next season we'll see a better picture of where we're heading, forward.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Losing faith. Keeps picking Webster which leads to leaking goals. Can only think its because he is his signing.
Or gives good head.

Emporers new clothes for a (not very good) defender.
Your entitled to you view on Webster although the stats don’t back up your theory, apart from the obvious Man City loss we haven’t been hammered by anyone this season unlike last season and the season before. As good as Dunk is he’s not a one man army.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How can anyone not keep faith, he has turned us into a pretty entertaining (especially compared to last season)team to watch and as they say 'Rome wasn't built in a day'
I think Potter will build on this season and next season we'll see a better picture of where we're heading, forward.

Providing he doesn't take us down this season of course. Yes the football is far more entertaining, but at what cost? relegation?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting article in The Athletic today re Potterball....Andy Naylor says (after talking about the stylistic change and the frustrations it leads to, and the way our home form has dipped and, as yet, failed to recover):

“The close connection between fans and the team when they play at the Amex is not quite the same as it used to be”

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the answer is it GP not getting the best out of his players especially his big money signings or is it the signings were bad and the players just arent of the required standard to avoid relegation. I am not sure I think it is a mixture of both. The football is arguably more enjoyable to watch but the results arent and most of the joy of watching football is in the results achieved. Fancy football but losing every game gets to the point where it no longer becoime enjoyable to watch. West Ham playing notoriously reputed good football is a classic example.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We stay in games because Potter is good at reacting and changing formation. It would be nice though that he got it right from the start a bit more.

He’s certainly the new tinkerman perhaps too much from game to game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We stay in games because Potter is good at reacting and changing formation. It would be nice though that he got it right from the start a bit more.

That is a big plus for him as he is prepared to accept that he has made a mistake and try to change it even as early as half time but unfortunately it is happening too often and we do not recover to get points, which we did early season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
100% behind him. Personally I think he’s done brilliantly so far in the way he has transformed the way we play in such a short time and I’m confident about results for the rest of the season. I really enjoy watching us play which for me, is the most important thing.

I also feel he’s done especially well as he’s not maybe been given the best tools to do the job with. Our squad is very light with some obvious weak links and I think he needs some support with regard to new recruits both this month and in the summer. We obviously won’t do that much this month but the summer could be quite busy with both incomings (signings and youth coming in?) and outgoings I would have thought.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
100% behind him. Personally I think he’s done brilliantly so far in the way he has transformed the way we play in such a short time and I’m confident about results for the rest of the season. I really enjoy watching us play which for me, is the most important thing.

I disagree, yes it is good to watch the football but the most important thing is the end result and everything depends on that. Good football with defeats is not good for anybody.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I like what we’re trying to do, we just seem horribly out of form at the moment. Still think he’s the right manager though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s critical that we stay up to enable that rosey future. It’s in the balance right now, we’ll have a far better idea after the next 2 PL 6-pointers.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Interesting article in The Athletic today re Potterball....Andy Naylor says (after talking about the stylistic change and the frustrations it leads to, and the way our home form has dipped and, as yet, failed to recover):

“The close connection between fans and the team when they play at the Amex is not quite the same as it used to be”

I can't read The Athletic, but I would question in what way he argues that our home form has dipped. What is he comparing it with? If it's last season, he's wrong. If it's earlier this season, it's not comparing like with like. If it's 2017/18, it's negligible and why is that relevant?

Points per game in home matches:

2019/20: 1.45 (Nov to Jan 1.33 - played 4 of the top 7, Aug to Oct 1.6 - played 0 of the top 7)
2018/19: 1.21
2017/18: 1.52

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

PL managers now know how we play and set up to counteract it, Potter then has to change this around depending how the other team have set up to play. He won’t know this until the game starts and so we are often matched or bettered. The fact that Potter can then change it to our advantage during the game is a big plus imo. Chelsea had the measure of us for the first half and could have been out of sight. Potter changed it and by the end of the game we were the better team and should have won.

We had the advantage of being a surprise package early in the season, this is no longer the case.

To me, there is a difference to staying up, just, as we did last season and staying up, just, this season. We now look like we belong, albeit at the lower level of the division, last season we looked out of our depth after a decent start. I am accepting of the fact that we might go down though. Just staying up again will be an achievement imo, given the change of style and the use of young players whilst getting the new ones up to speed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports