[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well, he extended his contract, so I can only assume he has rather a lot of faith in him.

Yes it is reasonable to assume that, although of course perhaps it was a hands off warning to other clubs. Mostly all managers have a sell by date and a club benefits from a freshen up as indeed we have with CH moving on. It was time for him to go. Big stakes in the PL. I am impressed the way the members on here are supportive of GP and his ways. Let's see how far TB will go on the journey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am beginning to believe that his inexperience and naivety will be our downfall and I am sure if we get relegated he will be gone as he will not bring us back up with is tactics.

Well, he extended his contract, so I can only assume he has rather a lot of faith in him.

Well, faith in the ability to pay up the contract if it all goes tits up, for sure

I think the BBC report on the match yesterday sums up quite nicely what's happening at the moment.

Lets hope we can get a clinical finisher in during the January window, and we'll be absolutely fine.

We know this is a problem yet we left out our main goalscorer. Who got the first goal against Spurs at home. Yet Potter is regarded as ultra attacking, hmmmm

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, faith in the ability to pay up the contract if it all goes tits up, for sure

L.I. You cynic;:D but why make it more expensive to do so when he didn't have to?
Suggests faith to me and if 'tits up' did happen, then it would appear that he would be given time to get us promoted again.
P.S.I don't think 'tits up' will happen, but I do worry about our inability to put away our chances, though!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
L.I. You cynic;:D but why make it more expensive to do so when he didn't have to?
Suggests faith to me and if 'tits up' did happen, then it would appear that he would be given time to get us promoted again.
P.S.I don't think 'tits up' will happen, but I do worry about our inability to put away our chances, though!

According to NooBHA that doesn't follow as most are not paid up as there is a clause in the contract to negate that with an agreed settlement figure. That is how I read his post on the subject.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to NooBHA that doesn't follow as most are not paid up as there is a clause in the contract to negate that with an agreed settlement figure. That is how I read his post on the subject.

My understanding is that the payout often depends on when they next take employment.

The payouts can be huge. The ManU and Chelsea annual audited accounts, for example, reveal colossal sums paid to departed managers and their coaching staff.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Fair enough, that may be correct.
Contracts in football often give the appearance of being a bit of an irrelevance depending on circumstances, but at the end of the day, they do provide a basis for discussions should there be a parting of the ways.
Just can't see why T.B. would want to offer G.P. a contract extension if he didn't have faith in his man.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am beginning to believe that his inexperience and naivety will be our downfall and I am sure if we get relegated he will be gone as he will not bring us back up with is tactics.

On the contrary, I would argue the fact that we have not been cut adrift at the foot of the table making such a radical change in our style speaks volumes about our ability to avoid relegation. It certainly doesn't mean that it wont happen, but I feel far more confident that we can pick up points in more games than last season. I also feel more confident that we can beat teams rather than eek out draws. Bournemouth have had this attitude since they joined PL - (they too may still struggle) We got 4 points in our last 3 away games, better in terms of avoiding relegation than 3 draws. Of course we still have to make this happen in the second half of the season, but I also think the PL will be more competitive at the bottom than previous seasons, higher points total may be needed.
Why do we think GP is "naiive"? As though he doesn't understand the risk/benefit of the style of play?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My understanding is that the payout often depends on when they next take employment.

The payouts can be huge. The ManU and Chelsea annual audited accounts, for example, reveal colossal sums paid to departed managers and their coaching staff.

I cannot remember reading of any big pay offs in a lump sum to any of our managers in fact I am sure that I read that most from Mark McGhee were paid until they took another job, but I could be mistaken.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I cannot remember reading of any big pay offs in a lump sum to any of our managers in fact I am sure that I read that most from Mark McGhee were paid until they took another job, but I could be mistaken.

So you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Fair enough :moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No......what NooBHA was referring to was what is called a compromise agreement - that’s not contractual, but it’s mutually agreed when someone leaves (‘agreed’ can also be ‘take it or leave it’). It could be more or less than the full contractual amount due or redundancy amount, depends on the circumstances. Given how circumspect the club are on numbers I doubt we’ll ever know what’s involved for individual cases.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We know this is a problem yet we left out our main goalscorer. Who got the first goal against Spurs at home. Yet Potter is regarded as ultra attacking, hmmmm

He left out Maupay to lead the line against Bmuff. Not rocket science, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why are the points worth more against Bmuff than Spurs?

They’re obviously not but he has to manage the squad rotation and will do so in way he thinks will give us the best chance of maximum points. Maupay absolutely runs his nuts off every game so starting him twice in 48 hours would have been foolhardy IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports