Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Lee at the Dome tonight

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I’m off to see the chap tonight at The Dome. Very much looking forward to it…. Anyone seen the new tour ?
I saw him this Wednesday- I thought it was great! He petered out a bit midway through the first half but he handled it well enough and second half was strong. He spent a big segment taking the piss at men who had dragged their wives to the show which left me in bits.

Biggest disappointment was trying to buy drinks at the interval- it was an utter sh*tshow that made the Amex concession stands look competent.

Jul 7, 2003
Biggest disappointment was trying to buy drinks at the interval- it was an utter sh*tshow that made the Amex concession stands look competent.
Always walk across to the Waggon & Horses in the interval rather than queue at the bar - much quicker and also shorter queues for the toilets in there.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I also think I get him although he makes me think sometimes I don't.... if that makes any sense? I've not seen him live only YouTube clips etc.

5 nights on the spin at the Dome suggests he is doing something right.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier and got myself a ticket to one of these shows to really see for myself but with the Wordle Wembley Knockout competition in progress I can't really afford a late night for a few days.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
never heard his stuff but will give it a try. Apparently that heckle was from a cancer joke - I remember the outcry on here when Jimmy Carr made a joke about the positives of the war with the gypsys dying. It is either completely different posters or very confusing this place 🤣

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think I get him, and he's incredibly clever. Just don't find him that funny. A bit like Bill Hicks. Genius, visionary, great social commentator etc - sure.

As a comedian? Meh.
Of course you never quite know whether he means what he says - but he has said himself that he prefers applause to laughs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
never heard his stuff but will give it a try. Apparently that heckle was from a cancer joke - I remember the outcry on here when Jimmy Carr made a joke about the positives of the war with the gypsys dying. It is either completely different posters or very confusing this place 🤣
If you're talking about this:

I was at that show. There was no cancer joke. The heckle was a strange non sequitur. The heckler mentioned cancer. Lee didn't. He was talking about something entirely unrelated. We went last night and he was very funny. There were even some actual jokes in the first half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not seen him live admittedly, tho have seen a couple of comedy specials online. Like many have said, you either get him or you don't. I don't. Just felt like I was being bashed over the head with that endless repetition riff thing to the point where it became a headache
I find him very funny. His Braveheart sketch is brilliant for many reasons. These days is probably my favourite but i also love 'Dont make me Ang Lee'

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you're talking about this:

I was at that show. There was no cancer joke. The heckle was a strange non sequitur. The heckler mentioned cancer. Lee didn't. He was talking about something entirely unrelated. We went last night and he was very funny. There were even some actual jokes in the first half.

The problem is I saw him do this routine at the Leicester Square Theatre when he was workshopping the material, with the exact same heckle.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The problem is I saw him do this routine at the Leicester Square Theatre when he was workshopping the material, with the exact same heckle.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. He may have reacted to a different heckle in a similarly logical and overly reasonable way, but the bloke obviously was not a plant. To my knowledge Lee hasn't used the response in any other show since and he is pretty open about times when he does use artifice to deliberately create audience reactions and times when he is improvising. He's written books about how his routines are structured. The actual heckle is not on the Youtube clip, the recording starts part way through his reply. Only those in the audience know what was actually said by the heckler, yet you've claimed to have heard 'the exact same heckle' at another show. There are over three quarter of a million views of that Youtube clip over eight years and there are no comments from anyone else saying that they've seen it before or since. You are the only person I have ever heard making that claim.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. He may have reacted to a different heckle in a similarly logical and overly reasonable way, but the bloke obviously was not a plant. To my knowledge Lee hasn't used the response in any other show since and he is pretty open about times when he does use artifice to deliberately create audience reactions and times when he is improvising. He's written books about how his routines are structured. The actual heckle is not on the Youtube clip, the recording starts part way through his reply. Only those in the audience know what was actually said by the heckler, yet you've claimed to have heard 'the exact same heckle' at another show. There are over three quarter of a million views of that Youtube clip over eight years and there are no comments from anyone else saying that they've seen it before or since. You are the only person I have ever heard making that claim.
I saw him do the exact same speech, with the exact same lines, “I can’t create a bespoke show” etc. I am sorry you don’t believe me, but not offended.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I saw him do the exact same speech, with the exact same lines, “I can’t create a bespoke show” etc. I am sorry you don’t believe me, but not offended.
That's not what you wrote. You said the heckle was the same, not the response.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
That's not what you wrote. You said the heckle was the same, not the response.
I assumed it was the same heckle, because the response was word for word identical.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought he was great last night…. First time live for me although I’m an avid watcher on YouTube… The bit about taking your wife was so close for me although she did say she was pleasantly surprised

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I assumed it was the same heckle, because the response was word for word identical.
An audience plant is quite an assumption/accusation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don’t make me Ang Lee :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve always thought the basis for his stand-up is how ridiculous stand-up is. He’s a master, the comedian’s comedian, the audience are part of the act, drawn in, loved and ridiculed in equal measure, skewering those that think they get him, twisting and turning through the entirety of an act, he reacts to the audience, plays off any uncertainy, their laughing at bits he wasn’t expecting, or not getting a well crafted joke he’s layered in, or the people who are there because they’ve been dragged along. It’s all part of the comedian / audience dynamic, loving that there will be those sitting there thinking ‘what the hell is this all about’ preferring that to an audience of fans like me hanging on every word he says.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here