Stewarding which cost me the game on sat.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dandyman

In London village.
I had a run in with the stewards at the gate before the Carlisle game. Got towards the turnstiles and one asked to search me. No problem with that, but then one of the stewards that evolution had bypassed butted in and started telling me that he had thrown me out at the last home game (Hartlepool), which was news to me as I was at Cologne v Wolfsburg that game. Anyway he asked to see my ticket, which I showed and off he went.

I got to the front of the queue and the missing link comes bundling over and demands to see ID from me. I refused, on the basis that we do not have to carry ID in this country and he said I could not go in. When asked on what grounds, he banged on that he had thrown me out at the last home game. I pointed out that I was out of the country, so that was some achievement. In the end I should him my Englandfans card and went in, but to be honest, the whole thing was odd and seems to be becoming a regular thing at Withdean.

Are all these knuckle draggers failed coppers or just have such sad lives that they get off abusing paying customers at Withdean, before power wanking to the events in their DSS funded bedsits on a Saturday night.

Incidently I've still got the match tickets and receipts from Germany should any club representative want to dispute the above.

D

Deleted User X18H

I had a run in with the stewards at the gate before the Carlisle game. Got towards the turnstiles and one asked to search me. No problem with that, but then one of the stewards that evolution had bypassed butted in and started telling me that he had thrown me out at the last home game (Hartlepool), which was news to me as I was at Cologne v Wolfsburg that game. Anyway he asked to see my ticket, which I showed and off he went.

I got to the front of the queue and the missing link comes bundling over and demands to see ID from me. I refused, on the basis that we do not have to carry ID in this country and he said I could not go in. When asked on what grounds, he banged on that he had thrown me out at the last home game. I pointed out that I was out of the country, so that was some achievement. In the end I should him my Englandfans card and went in, but to be honest, the whole thing was odd and seems to be becoming a regular thing at Withdean.

Are all these knuckle draggers failed coppers or just have such sad lives that they get off abusing paying customers at Withdean, before power wanking to the events in their DSS funded bedsits on a Saturday night.
People just dont' seem to like you!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had a valid adult ticket and I'm in my mid-tewenties, but still the Steward refused to search me at the gate because i wouldn't give my age.

Sorry, I'm probably being thick here, but it reads like your initial disgruntlement was with the steward refusing to search you. Or did you mean something else? Surely it's a good thing if the stewards don't feel it necessary to search you?

Last edited:

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
I'm sorry but I think that IS the point. He wasn't trying to get in on an age-related ticket, therefore the stewards had NO RIGHT to ask him his age. Certainly he was within his rights to withold that information and to question why they wanted to know it. Maybe he was a bit drunk and subsequently got a bit lippy (I don't know as I wasn't there and two wrongs don't make a right), but that doesn't alter the fact that he was the one 'sinned against' originally.

And yes I do think it's sad that we accept these constant erosions of our liberty (ID cards, survielance, excessive H&S rules etc) without a murmur.

Spot on.. well said

Dandyman

In London village.
I'm sorry but I think that IS the point. He wasn't trying to get in on an age-related ticket, therefore the stewards had NO RIGHT to ask him his age. Certainly he was within his rights to withold that information and to question why they wanted to know it. Maybe he was a bit drunk and subsequently got a bit lippy (I don't know as I wasn't there and two wrongs don't make a right), but that doesn't alter the fact that he was the one 'sinned against' originally.

And yes I do think it's sad that we accept these constant erosions of our liberty (ID cards, survielance, excessive H&S rules etc) without a murmur.

Well said.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/staticFiles/d7/2d/0,,10433~142807,00.pdf

People may also want to remind themselves of what the club charter says we should be able to expect from the club, particularly ...

"...staff will conduct themselves in a courteous and responsive manner in all dealings with customers..."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
99 times out of 100 I don't have an issue with the stewards. Lord knows I've hurled enough abuse (albeit mostly at the ref or to some diving bastard) to have been slung out many times before.

However, this season, there appears to have been a purge on reasonable stewards at the gate and started employing Cro-Magnon throwbacks. One of them - someone I've known of since he was 18 about 15 years ago, and was an utter bell-end then. The years, it seems, haven't improved him - decided to search me (unusual, but there you go), riffled through all my pockets, took out my wallet, which I immediately snatched back from him - he had NO right going through that. I put that back, then decided to go through every pocket again. And then again. There was an air of homo-eroticism creeping in on his part by now.

In all, about 12 people filed past me to get in while he was doing this. I just said, 'that's enough, I'm going in now...' At which point, another steward who appeared to have a bolt through is neck appeared, spouting the usual shit, the vast majority of which I didn't honestly care about.

I know customer relations is obviously not top of their priorities, but I didn't think they needed to go out of their way to prove it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I f***ing wish they had stopped me from getting in on Saturday.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

One of them - someone I've known of since he was 18 about 15 years ago, and was an utter bell-end then. The years, it seems, haven't improved him - decided to search me (unusual, but there you go), riffled through all my pockets, took out my gentleman, which I immediately snatched back from him - he had NO right touching that. I put that back, then decided to go through every pocket again. And then again. There was an air of homo-eroticism creeping in on his part by now.

I know customer relations is obviously not top of their priorities, but I didn't think they needed to go out of their way to prove it.

What aftershave were you wearing Al? Lynx effect mayhaps?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
riffled through all my pockets, took out my wallet, which I immediately snatched back from him - he had NO right going through that. I put that back, then decided to go through every pocket again. And then again.

They are not allowed to remove items from your pockets or bags - they have to ask YOU to do that. Likewise they are not allowed to put their hands in your pockets ( or any other opening ! ) - they are meant to pat you down. I'd complain if I were you - they clearly haven't had decent training in how to search someone ( or at least the steward that searched you doesn't ).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They are not allowed to remove items from your pockets or bags - they have to ask YOU to do that. Likewise they are not allowed to put their hands in your pockets ( or any other opening ! ) - they are meant to pat you down. I'd complain if I were you - they clearly haven't had decent training in how to search someone ( or at least the steward that searched you doesn't ).

Believe your absolutely right there, there are safety issues with this as they do not know if you have sharp objects in your pocket hence th reason for the "patting" to check for "things". if anything detected they should ask you to remove and show them that its not a banned item.
This steward appears to had no training in searching persons.

I certain would not want to put my hands in unknown pockets or openings (oh er misses)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thoroughly doubt they did put hands into pockets. I find alot of what has been written in this thread to be fanciful and very hard to believe. Again, 9 years of going to the Withdean (3 of them as a season ticket holder), and never has a steward acted in an unprofessional way with me, never has one put a hand in my pocket, never has one asked me my age. I rarely even get searched (well, patted down), and even when I do it doesn't take more than a minute because I never have anything I'm not supposed to. I don't have a problem dealing with people with a level of authority....

03dpellett

willingdon gull
Mar 10, 2008
same!.. they seemed think they were some kind of super heros by being able to stop 3,000 odd people from invading the pitch!.. good luck (Y) lol

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thoroughly doubt they did put hands into pockets. I find alot of what has been written in this thread to be fanciful and very hard to believe. Again, 9 years of going to the Withdean (3 of them as a season ticket holder), and never has a steward acted in an unprofessional way with me, never has one put a hand in my pocket, never has one asked me my age. I rarely even get searched (well, patted down), and even when I do it doesn't take more than a minute because I never have anything I'm not supposed to. I don't have a problem dealing with people with a level of authority....

Then your doubting is mis-placed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, I don't think it is in the slightest. I wasn't there, your story might be the truth and if so then it's not good on behalf of the stewards. But when I've never seen anything of the sort in 9 years, I question all these horror stories people seem to have.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shouldn't there be CCTV or a PC present covering the entrance to the turnstiles to provide some level of independent verification of such incidents? Seen enough posts on this thread by people who are not prone to making these kind of things up, to be convinced that the stewards themselves need policing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports