Stewarding which cost me the game on sat.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No, I don't think it is in the slightest. I wasn't there, your story might be the truth and if so then it's not good on behalf of the stewards. But when I've never seen anything of the sort in 9 years, I question all these horror stories people seem to have.

So basically, you've got nothing to add to this debate except tell people that it's all a bit far-fetched because YOU didn't see it. Despite how many other people giving anecdotal evidence to the contrary?

The narcissist's guide to debating. It might catch on.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Got to come in with some sarcasm there haven't you, despite not actually making a point of any kind.

Whereas I have pointed out that all these people with bad stories of the big bad stewards doing this that and the other thing, but none of these things never happen to me. Maybe that's because I don't give them any reason to pay attention to them, who knows. But some of what people say on here is just beyond my belief, I've not said anyone is a liar, I'm sure people have a reason for saying what they have, but I personally have never had an issue with them, and I can't believe that they've done what is accused. It's funny how everyone has a story to share when there is noone to defend the stewards, it's open floodgates really...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Got to come in with some sarcasm there haven't you, despite not actually making a point of any kind.

Whereas I have pointed out that all these people with bad stories of the big bad stewards doing this that and the other thing, but none of these things never happen to me. Maybe that's because I don't give them any reason to pay attention to them, who knows. But some of what people say on here is just beyond my belief, I've not said anyone is a liar, I'm sure people have a reason for saying what they have, but I personally have never had an issue with them, and I can't believe that they've done what is accused. It's funny how everyone has a story to share when there is noone to defend the stewards, it's open floodgates really...

If it is beyond your belief then stay away from the thread rather than accusing people of lying.

I have never had a run in with the stewards in the ground, I do not sit in the H Block area, so avoid all the silly buggers steward baiting.

However before the Carlisle game I was somewhat taken a back by the attitude of the steward that was claiming to have thrown me out of a game that I did not attend.

most of the posters on here have said that it's only the one or two bad stewards giving them all a bad name. Hardly open season.

So where was I sarcastic in my first post? You called people in here liars (because that's what it is - saying that you don't believe people's stories) just because you hadn't had a bad experience. That is ever so slightly narcissistic.

most of the posters on here have said that it's only the one or two bad stewards giving them all a bad name. Hardly open season.

So where was I sarcastic in my first post? You called people in here liars (because that's what it is - saying that you don't believe people's stories) just because you hadn't had a bad experience. That is ever so slightly narcissistic.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So basically, you've got nothing to add to this debate except tell people that it's all a bit far-fetched because YOU didn't see it. Despite how many other people giving anecdotal evidence to the contrary?

The narcissist's guide to debating. It might catch on.

narcissist's........must go look that up, sounds a great word, i want t use it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I thoroughly doubt they did put hands into pockets. I find alot of what has been written in this thread to be fanciful and very hard to believe. Again, 9 years of going to the Withdean (3 of them as a season ticket holder), and never has a steward acted in an unprofessional way with me, never has one put a hand in my pocket, never has one asked me my age. I rarely even get searched (well, patted down), and even when I do it doesn't take more than a minute because I never have anything I'm not supposed to. I don't have a problem dealing with people with a level of authority....

Why is it that a great number of supporters of our club feel that if they've been going since the year dot or they've been a season ticket holder for x years that their opinion is more valid??

"Well I've never had a problem, so you're a f***ing liar Al"..

Silly boy...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I have personally never had a problem with the stewards although I can never understand why they search everyone who arrives late as surely anyone who wanted to carry anything dodgy in would know about this and arrive earlier?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I was rushing in on Saturday about five mins before kick-off (bus timetable seemed to go awry straight after 2pm) and believe I may have seen the last knockings of the described incident. A young lad (but clearly not under 18 IMHO) was trying to extradite himself from the clutches of 4 stewards (who were all talking to him at the same time). I walked past and go an 'oi you' from another who was hovering on the periphery of the incident. I turned and he said 'I wanna search you' in a less that courteous manner. A few half-hearted ineffective pats later (didn't detect keys, phone, cased Ipod) I was told 'in you go'. Nice customer relations. I too have never had an issue previously at Withdean, and can only presume that the incident in question had attracted the more meat-head'ed element from the matchday hi-vis brigade. I will say though that stewarding during the handful of ejections I've seen this season has noticeably been more robust (i.e. very physical, very quickly).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I did some stewarding at Whaddon Road, The Manor and Wembley during my uni days and it is very much common sense. Use minimum force if necessary and never aggravate or fan the flames. If you act in a courteous and pleasant manner then it is far more likely that the paying customer will respond in that manner.

There are far too many in the security business that are on a bit of a power trip and let their new found power go to their heads. Certainly pleased to see the back of my stewarding days as I loathed spending a day in the company of some poorly paid imbeciles, despite watching football for free.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why is it that a great number of supporters of our club feel that if they've been going since the year dot or they've been a season ticket holder for x years that their opinion is more valid??

"Well I've never had a problem, so you're a f***ing liar Al"..

Silly boy...

That's neither what I said, nor what I meant, so the quotation marks are out of order. ???

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's neither what I said, nor what I meant, so the quotation marks are out of order. ???
Ok, he's paraphrased a bit but that's the gist of what you were saying isn't it? "I've never had a problem so Uncle Buck and The Large One are making it up" or in your words "I thoroughly doubt they did put hands into pockets."

So you ARE calling TLO a liar aren't you? And basing it solely on the fact that it has never happened to you so therefore it's unlikely to have happened - which is a bit like saying "I've never been knocked down by a drunken driver therefore there are no such things as drunken drivers, and anybody who says they've been knocked down by one is making it up."

Do you want to apologise and retract the comment?

If it is beyond your belief then stay away from the thread rather than accusing people of lying.

I have never had a run in with the stewards in the ground, I do not sit in the H Block area, so avoid all the silly buggers steward baiting.

However before the Carlisle game I was somewhat taken a back by the attitude of the steward that was claiming to have thrown me out of a game that I did not attend.

You sit in F, a few rows up. I watched you CLOSELY Uncle, to see if you were a serial STANDER or SWEARER, but dagnabit, you were quite a NORMAL fan.
Drat and double drat, with Muttley sheesh-sheesh-sheeshing and EVERYTHING.

But seriously - if anyone is going to go to a turnstile to be as snub-nosed and un-cooperative as possible, with no understanding regarding the cursory searching (that stewards don't relish any more than you do) - then they might expect the same as if they went to Yeates's or Ocean Rooms or whatever on West Street and did that.

To be fair, regarding TLO's tale of wallet removal and hands-in-pockets - I have to agree, that is not in the training and sounds like a wrong move. In which case it would be quite a good idea to refuse that steward's method and request a supervisor. Customer service at Withdean is still a primary effort, in tandem with customer safety - and that is something I certainly strive for while performing duties there.

Still, politeness and correct (non-belligerent) behaviour from the fans does assist the stewards, the ticket holder in the situation, and those waiting behind or in the vicinity of him or her.

....and one more thing - I heard about the extremely un-cooperative and belligerent 'Skidmarks' from the outside steward who dealt with him, and am not at all surprised he didn't get in!
No-one want that kind of attitude, and not in the ground either.

Last edited:

Eh? What authority is it that I'm claiming then? Typical NMH. You were doing so well then couldn't resist the knee-jerk "must defend the stewards even though I wasn't there and didn't see the incident"

Strange that it's only you who thinks that Ninja Elephant is making a good point. Actually it isn't. If one person could be relied upon to defend the absurd it would be you.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You sit in F, a few rows up. I watched you CLOSELY Uncle, to see if you were a serial STANDER or SWEARER, but dagnabit, you were quite a NORMAL fan.
Drat and double drat, with Muttley sheesh-sheesh-sheeshing and EVERYTHING.

But seriously - if anyone is going to go to a turnstile to be as snub-nosed and un-cooperative as possible, with no understanding regarding the cursory searching (that stewards don't relish any more than you do) - then they might expect the same as if they went to Yeates's or Ocean Rooms or whatever on West Street and did that.

To be fair, regarding TLO's tale of wallet removal and hands-in-pockets - I have to agree, that is not in the training and sounds like a wrong move. In which case it would be quite a good idea to refuse that steward's method and request a supervisor. Customer service at Withdean is still a primary effort, in tandem with customer safety - and that is something I certainly strive for while performing duties there.

Still, politeness and correct (non-belligerent) behaviour from the fans does assist the stewards, the ticket holder in the situation, and those waiting behind or in the vicinity of him or her.

....and one more thing - I heard about the extremely un-cooperative and belligerent 'Skidmarks' from the outside steward who dealt with him, and am not at all surprised he didn't get in!
No-one want that kind of attitude, and not in the ground either.

I'm of the opinion you treat people as you expect to be treated yourself. By the sounds of things you lot have made a rod for your back therefore deserve little or no respect what so ever.

If the fella had an adult ticket why on earth would you need to know his age? Is there an age restriction at Withdean now?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ok, he's paraphrased a bit but that's the gist of what you were saying isn't it? "I've never had a problem so Uncle Buck and The Large One are making it up" or in your words "I thoroughly doubt they did put hands into pockets."

So you ARE calling TLO a liar aren't you? And basing it solely on the fact that it has never happened to you so therefore it's unlikely to have happened - which is a bit like saying "I've never been knocked down by a drunken driver therefore there are no such things as drunken drivers, and anybody who says they've been knocked down by one is making it up."

Do you want to apologise and retract the comment?

I'm not calling him a liar, I'm saying I don't believe him. Before saturday if you'd told me you'd seen the future and we were going to lose 4-0 I wouldn't have believed you, but that doesn't mean to say I would be calling you a liar. The drunk driver thing is a bad example in my opinion, but I take your point. I won't apologise, I've not said anything to apologise for and I won't retract my comment for the same reason, I've said nothing which needs retracting. If people have had problems with stewards, that's a shame and I'm sorry for you, but I struggle to belive some of what has been written on here. If any of this paragraph doesn't make sense to anyone, then you're not going to understand me.

I don't really understand pot noodle person's comments, very unconstructive and unneccessary in my opinion, just moaning and not contributing, how does that help? ???

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not calling him a liar, I'm saying I don't believe him. Before saturday if you'd told me you'd seen the future and we were going to lose 4-0 I wouldn't have believed you, but that doesn't mean to say I would be calling you a liar. The drunk driver thing is a bad example in my opinion, but I take your point. I won't apologise, I've not said anything to apologise for and I won't retract my comment for the same reason, I've said nothing which needs retracting. If people have had problems with stewards, that's a shame and I'm sorry for you, but I struggle to belive some of what has been written on here. If any of this paragraph doesn't make sense to anyone, then you're not going to understand me.

I don't really understand pot noodle person's comments, very unconstructive and unneccessary in my opinion, just moaning and not contributing, how does that help? ???

If you are saying you do not believe him, then you are inferring that he is lying.

Do you know London Irish?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports