Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not exactly right, he didn't want to go and he still lives in Brighton.

After being a key player in our promotion and only being on £4.5k a week, Palace came in and offered £11.5k. We then offered him £7.5 and he said he would stay for £9k, £2.5k less than Palace offered him.

Bloom said to Gus "shall we pay him the £9k to keep him" and Gus said let him go.

As I said he was key to our promotion as much as Lambert was to Shamptons so I think he was still under selling himself if he stayed with us for £9k.

And for all intent and purposes he got Palace promoted so £9k would have been an absolute bargain. Pretty sure Bloom has been grinding his teeth on that decision by Gus.

He got 22 goals but Barnes got 20 so they were both instrumental in getting us promoted along with Bennett. His first season in the Championship didn't exactly go well with only 6 goals. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He got 22 goals but Barnes got 20 so they were both instrumental in getting us promoted along with Bennett. His first season in the Championship didn't exactly go well with only 6 goals. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

Moving to another club takes time to settle. Yep we can talk about hindsight, but £9k a week wasn't going to break the bank and wasn't a massive gamble. We would have been better off keeping him and having some continuity in the first season of the Championship.

All I am saying is that hindsight or not, it wasn't a good decision by Gus at the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Moving to another club takes time to settle. Yep we can talk about hindsight, but £9k a week wasn't going to break the bank and wasn't a massive gamble. We would have been better off keeping him and having some continuity in the first season of the Championship.

All I am saying is that hindsight or not, it wasn't a good decision by Gus at the time.

We let a player go who had scored 22 goals and brought in one who had scored 33. Who was to know which one would succeed at Championship level?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We should have had both, not one or the other. They would have probably worked well together.

Don't forget we were tracking Ulloa at that point. It was only his Spanish passport problems that delayed him coming to us for 18 months.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't forget we were tracking Ulloa at that point. It was only his Spanish passport problems that delayed him coming to us for 18 months.

Pretty sure we only made him a target in the summer break 2012. May have been keeping an eye on him for 18 months but not trying to sort his passport out for that long, he's not from Wales.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pretty sure we only made him a target in the summer break 2012. May have been keeping an eye on him for 18 months but not trying to sort his passport out for that long, he's not from Wales.

The club said we had been targetting him for 18 months last January. As he wasn't an Argentinian international, he had to play for 4 years in Spain to qualify for an EU passport. It was nothing to do with international clearance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We let a player go who had scored 22 goals and brought in one who had scored 33. Who was to know which one would succeed at Championship level?

CMS had already had an average season in the Championship so he was a bit of a gamble at 2.5 million. I said it then (check if you like) and I still say it, letting Murray go was a complete F*** up by Gus, who had made it quite clear in comments in the League One campaign that he wasn't a big fan of Murray. Could well have been the difference between us being a Championship club or a Premier League one, so quite a big balls up really.

Not hindsight, I was absolutely gutted we let GM go.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The club said we had been targetting him for 18 months last January. As he wasn't an Argentinian international, he had to play for 4 years in Spain to qualify for an EU passport. It was nothing to do with international clearance.

Well that would have meant the club knew they had to wait 18 months before Murray was replaced, even more reason to have kept Murray.

We started the Championship season with Barnes, CMS and an injured Hoskins, that's three strikers minus 1, when most teams had 4 or 5.

To me that is not a logical striker number, so whether Murray turned good or not we would have been better off with him at that time.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
That's not exactly right, he didn't want to go and he still lives in Brighton.

After being a key player in our promotion and only being on £4.5k a week, Palace came in and offered £11.5k. We then offered him £7.5 and he said he would stay for £9k, £2.5k less than Palace offered him.

Bloom said to Gus "shall we pay him the £9k to keep him" and Gus said let him go.

As I said he was key to our promotion as much as Lambert was to Shamptons so I think he was still under selling himself if he stayed with us for £9k.

And for all intent and purposes he got Palace promoted so £9k would have been an absolute bargain. Pretty sure Bloom has been grinding his teeth on that decision by Gus.

How do you know all this, I have never seen anywhere published that Bloom wanted top pay him £9K or that Palace offered him £11.5k. Are you a friend of TB's or just guessing the figures and discussions between Bloom and Gus?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
How do you know all this, I have never seen anywhere published that Bloom wanted top pay him £9K or that Palace offered him £11.5k. Are you a friend of TB's or just guessing the figures and discussions between Bloom and Gus?

I knew someone and that was the summary I got from them halfway through our first Championship season.

There was no bullshit detected on my bullshit radar so I am happy to believe this is close to the truth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I knew someone and that was the summary I got from them halfway through our first Championship season.

There was no bullshit detected on my bullshit radar so I am happy to believe this is close to the truth.

I was told at the Notts County game that Murray was offered double his wage by us, but he wanted quadruple. I have no reason to doubt my sauce. I wasn't given exact figures.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was told at the Notts County game that Murray was offered double his wage by us, but he wanted quadruple. I have no reason to doubt my sauce. I wasn't given exact figures.

Well that doesn't sound right, because he lives in Brighton, he wanted to play for us, so I very much doubt he would have wanted more than Palace offered, quadruple would have meant he wanted £18k but went to Palace for £11.5k. So that story doesn't add up.

I have no reason to doubt my source either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well that doesn't sound right, because he lives in Brighton, he wanted to play for us, so I very much doubt he would have wanted more than Palace offered, quadruple would have meant he wanted £18k but went to Palace for £11.5k. So that story doesn't add up.

I have no reason to doubt my source either.

League 1 average was 3.5K, double that to 7K and he went to Palace for 11.5K. It does add up. As I said, I wasn't given exact figures. Palace was an easy choice for him as he could commute easily and get a lot more money including a signing on fee which he needed at the time to pay off his ex wife.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
League 1 average was 3.5K, double that to 7K and he went to Palace for 11.5K. It does add up. As I said, I wasn't given exact figures. Palace was an easy choice for him as he could commute easily and get a lot more money including a signing on fee which he needed at the time to pay off his ex wife.

So if we say he was on your £3.5k as opposed to my £4.5k, quadruple would be £14k. Now unless he wanted to leave Brighton, miss the Amex and travel to smellhurst for less than than he wanted off us, it doesn't make sense.

I am more likely to believe we had to equal their offer to keep him, than wanting £3.5k extra to stay. So that's where this quadruple figure theory falls over and makes the story doubtful in my view.

I heard the he was on £4.5k but I cannot prove that.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Wasn't Chris Wood 18 when on loan with us, and Barnes joined us when he was 20. Poyet also played Dunk regularly.

There are reasons to criticise Poyet, but you let your bitterness and bile get in the way of any sensible analysis.
Bitterness and Bile? Like a bit of dramatic over the top posting do you! Anyway I think Dunk might disagree with you there, and also Chris Wood had so much respect for Poyet, he was probably just having a gentle joke with him when he run up to him after he scored a double for Millwall at the Amex last season. And as for Ashley, well we all know he's Poyets Love child. Barnes could even have got sent off twice in quick succession and even lash out a referee and come straight back in after a 8 game ban under Poyet :smile::smile::smile: Oh wait, I was trying to be sarcastic. Ooops

Bitterness and bile? No, just think Poyet is an overrated first class **** who was sacked over a year too late.

But anyway, who cares. We now have a manager who puts the club and his players before his own ego and self interests. Nice :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here