Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Last I heard (yesterday evening) Cook said the injury wasnt as bad as first thought.. He was due a scan though so your info could be more up to date than mine.

He's in Rome having intensive treatment and hopes to play on Saturday, so doesn't sound like its a broken ankle.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is this train of thought that youngsters must be played ahead of the better players in the team, purely because they 'should be given a chance'. "Isn't it about time XXX was given a chance?"

Um, no. Players have to earn their chance. It's poor management to give someone a chance - especially just because some gobshite from the ignorati says so.

Tubby's post was pretty dumb on many levels.

Thats rubbish.

Mostly young players do actually get the opportunity by precisely taking the place of a 'better older player', either by injury, suspension, sometimes loss of form or a driven club policy.

The young player of course has to earn his right to be considered within his clubs playing/training environment, but the club/manager would need to acknowledge that a younger players potential once achieved might be greater than the player he is likely to replace, it doesnt necessarily follow he is currently better.

This isn't a comment on our club, but to dismiss the need for a driven policy when considering youth development shows a lack of understanding of the dynamics of young player progression.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I recall correctly the period in question was during the ridiculous 'only 5 subs' period, which made it much harder to blood youngsters, as you really needed experienced players on the bench.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thats rubbish.

Mostly young players do actually get the opportunity by precisely taking the place of a 'better older player', either by injury, suspension, sometimes loss of form or a driven club policy.

The young player of course has to earn his right to be considered within his clubs playing/training environment, but the club/manager would need to acknowledge that a younger players potential once achieved might be greater than the player he is likely to replace, it doesnt necessarily follow he is currently better.

This isn't a comment on our club, but to dismiss the need for a driven policy when considering youth development shows a lack of understanding of the dynamics of young player progression.

You've just said 'rubbish' then agreed with most of the thrust of my post.

Any boss' main consideration is to play the strongest team - whether by quality and/or fitness. You're saying play a player because he might have greater potential than the person he is replacing? A manager will need to know when a player is ready - not when he might be ready - and it's not necessarily by scoring a screamer in a Development Squad game. First team games aren't there to see if a player is ready.

That's why players go out on loan. George Barker has just gone, and Solly March may well be going out too. That is a standard part of their progression. There are many who don't understand that, and criticise the club accordingly. The potential is better improved by first sending them into an environment whereby they play first-team professional football, but at a lower level - not by picking them just because they are young.

In the case of JFC, for instance, he made an excellent start to his first-team career, a start which only happened because of the squad depletion at the time. However, after four or five matches, his quality suffered and he was rightly dropped. But that didn't please many who thought that it was wrong to drop a young player; he was dropped because he started playing poorly.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we played Cook and Dunk they'd have been far better players but we wouldn't have done so well as a club. However THIS is why you loan players out. We had was it Hall? The guy went to Spurs too......... stacked at young CB and then we've played none of the 3 (not to mention Elphick)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You've just said 'rubbish' then agreed with most of the thrust of my post.

Any boss' main consideration is to play the strongest team - whether by quality and/or fitness. You're saying play a player because he might have greater potential than the person he is replacing? A manager will need to know when a player is ready - not when he might be ready - and it's not necessarily by scoring a screamer in a Development Squad game. First team games aren't there to see if a player is ready.

That's why players go out on loan. George Barker has just gone, and Solly March may well be going out too. That is a standard part of their progression. There are many who don't understand that, and criticise the club accordingly. The potential is better improved by first sending them into an environment whereby they play first-team professional football, but at a lower level - not by picking them just because they are young.

In the case of JFC, for instance, he made an excellent start to his first-team career, a start which only happened because of the squad depletion at the time. However, after four or five matches, his quality suffered and he was rightly dropped. But that didn't please many who thought that it was wrong to drop a young player; he was dropped because he started playing poorly.

Ok then we are not so far apart, my main thrust was that you do actually need a real driven club policy when focusing on young player progression and in many circumstances it does mean a club/manager offering opportunity at the expense of a more experienced player, there is a risk.

I agree that going out on loan is an integral part of that process, but again some clubs are better at offering opportunity, nurturing talent and offering first team experience than others.

So yes, I am guessing we nearly agree !!!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Whilst Ince and Forster Caskey are excellent prospects, it is only now that they are starting to put in consistent performances. I don't like to rubbish young players, but both have put in some pretty poor performances as well. Ince was substituted at half time at Yeovil and for me this was only part tactical. He was struggling to cope with the windy conditions and the high tempo approach of Yeovil.

You can argue that this is all part of the Garcia managerial magic, but it can also be seen as part of the general process of blooding young players. Only an exceptional few can deliver to the highest level with any consistency. It is fantastic that both have come through a baptism of fire, bought on by an injury crisis and now look more complete and confident players. However you don't have to go back too far in our history to find a string of young players, who failed to deliver on early promise, because too much was expected of them too soon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't know why everyone blaming Gus for selling him at the end of the day TB could of said no at any point and you'd think he could of seen Cook's potential, but obviously not.

TB (and PB for that matter) never has and never will interfere with footballing decisions - that is and was the job if the manager/coach.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
TB (and PB for that matter) never has and never will interfere with footballing decisions - that is and was the job if the manager/coach.

True up to now, but Cook's status within the club and football as a whole was quite small so no need for any interference.

Things will however change, if as hoped we continue evolving into a bigger club with greater assets on the playing side then Chairman and their CEO's will inevitably cast a more discerning eye on to what is happening on the transfer front, its far too important not to.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He's in Rome having intensive treatment and hopes to play on Saturday, so doesn't sound like its a broken ankle.

Source?

Elliot Ward is out for 2 months so will miss both our games against B'muff. Cook was keeping Elphick out of the team even though he is captain.

PG

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yep, that's why Murray went even though Bloom was happy to pay him the £9.5k he was asking for to say.

Judas went because his agent got him a better deal elsewhere. Palarse offered an extra year on the initial contract , more wages after his agent was playing both clubs off against each offer and a massive signing on fee.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO the reason that he went was because he didnt fit into our style of play and was more an orthodox up and under English type defender and was not getting a look in with our first team and their ball playing from the back style. I thought that he was good prospect,better in fact than Dunk and it will be interesting to see which one does better long term..

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Judas went because his agent got him a better deal elsewhere. Palarse offered an extra year on the initial contract , more wages after his agent was playing both clubs off against each offer and a massive signing on fee.

That's not exactly right, he didn't want to go and he still lives in Brighton.

After being a key player in our promotion and only being on £4.5k a week, Palace came in and offered £11.5k. We then offered him £7.5 and he said he would stay for £9k, £2.5k less than Palace offered him.

Bloom said to Gus "shall we pay him the £9k to keep him" and Gus said let him go.

As I said he was key to our promotion as much as Lambert was to Shamptons so I think he was still under selling himself if he stayed with us for £9k.

And for all intent and purposes he got Palace promoted so £9k would have been an absolute bargain. Pretty sure Bloom has been grinding his teeth on that decision by Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here