Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - **UPDATE@14:00: signs on season-long loan**

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
When the name was first mentioned, i wasn't filled with huge amounts of excitement. Then, after mulling it over for a little bit i realised that it's a pretty astute signing.

For all the people (there's only a few bellends) who are complaining that it's a step down from Bridge....there's few plays above him that i would take that would consider coming down to a small team on the coast (we're not as big yet as we think we are). He'll give experience and stability to the back 4 (and gives the chance for Maxi/Chicken to play occasionally too & develop). He may not be a 'marquee' signing but considering the finances at the moment i'm happy with it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would take Stephen Ward in a hartbeat. I watch Wolves a fair bit, living relatively locally, and I tend to think he is one of the 'good guys' at the club - i.e. one of the players that actually bothered trying to win games in the Championship last season. Wolves problems last year derived from far too many players thinking they were too good to play in the Championship, who consequently didn't bother.

I would put Ward straight into the side tomorrow, if he has signed.

Interesting post. Thanks for that. I look forward to seeing him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When the name was first mentioned, i wasn't filled with huge amounts of excitement. Then, after mulling it over for a little bit i realised that it's a pretty astute signing.

For all the people (there's only a few bellends) who are complaining that it's a step down from Bridge....there's few plays above him that i would take that would consider coming down to a small team on the coast (we're not as big yet as we think we are). He'll give experience and stability to the back 4 (and gives the chance for Maxi/Chicken to play occasionally too & develop). He may not be a 'marquee' signing but considering the finances at the moment i'm happy with it.
Just spoke to my Wolves supporting mate exact words he is better in midfield than at left back gives 100%

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good solid signing,part of Wolves championship winning side and only 28. Thats left back taken care of, now a striker needed and all the holes are plugged.

Spot on.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm pleased with the signing of Ward from what I've seen of him he'll do a good solid job for us, Plus he gives us the option that if we're chasing the game we can bring on Chicksen or Maxi at left back and throw Ward up front as an extra striker. He might be seen as step down from Bridge but as mentioned by other posters Bridge was a quality signing the likes of which only come along every now and then, A bit like Vicente and I never expected either of them to be replaced like for like.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Stephen Ward

Strange least rated at lb . Originally a striker with a great goal record at bohemians . Maybe he's lm so ideal cover and strength to maxi .

Expecting to be first choice lb but good he has lm and striker in his locker

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Not Premier League quality but decent enough at Championship level and puts in a shift according to my Wolves-supporting mate. Is anyone else a bit worried that we seem to be signing a slightly lower quality of player now? Keith Andrews and now Stephen Ward. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad, but not exactly of the quality we've got used to seeing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not really as majority of Wolves fans don't rate him at LB

I take that with a pinch of salt. You should too. Championship and Prem player with international experience.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not Premier League quality but decent enough at Championship level and puts in a shift according to my Wolves-supporting mate. Is anyone else a bit worried that we seem to be signing a slightly lower quality of player now? Keith Andrews and now Stephen Ward. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad, but not exactly of the quality we've got used to seeing.

As has been said more than once already. It is unrealistic to expect a LB signing of Bridge's quality. The other new boys are actually UPGRADES on the players that have left.

dicks-bar-bouncer

Feb 2, 2013
I sort of agree with you, but also disagree.

As someone that has seen both Ward and Bridge play on numerous occasions, I would take Bridge every time. Having said that, Ward is a class player with experience of winning this league. He will do very well for us.

Only thing is, I guarantee Ward will make a huge mistake in his first few games for us. I can feel it coming. After that, he'll be fine.

Of course i would rather have bridge just dont share a lot of pessimism about ward...did u see maxi saturday..ward does improve our side a lot and gives maxi and chicksen time to improve and gel into squad without the added pressure of being 1st choice..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I take that with a pinch of salt. You should too. Championship and Prem player with international experience.
I'm only stating what my Wolves supporting ST holder friend told me I would imagine he has seen him play more times than yourself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has he actually played at all this season? I see he was transfer listed around the time the players reported back, will we really put him in the side for tomorrow if he hasn't played since the end of last season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder how much we're saving by not keeping Wayne Bridge. I'm told he's on £24k at Reading, but would have taken much less to stay with us. Was an offer ever made?

Interesting, I assume you know more than you are saying there? If he would have stayed here, I wonder why he didn't wait to see what happened regarding the new manager or would he have only stayed here if Gus was manager? I have read on here that Poyet had allegedly told two players that he would like to take them to his new job (assumably in the Premier League) at the end of last season. Was WB one of them???

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Stephen Ward

Has he actually played at all this season? I see he was transfer listed around the time the players reported back, will we really put him in the side for tomorrow if he hasn't played since the end of last season?

Have to I think . Maxi looked a left back but has long way to go to be up to the standards we set last year

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I would take Stephen Ward in a hartbeat. I watch Wolves a fair bit, living relatively locally, and I tend to think he is one of the 'good guys' at the club - i.e. one of the players that actually bothered trying to win games in the Championship last season. Wolves problems last year derived from far too many players thinking they were too good to play in the Championship, who consequently didn't bother.

I would put Ward straight into the side tomorrow, if he has signed.

As for Wolves, they'll do well this season. With Sako and Baath, amongst others they have some exciting young talent. Like us, they are also building a (bigger) academy to focus on youth for the future.

Strings has seen him play more than the majority of the rest of us and can be objective about his quality as he's not a Wolves fan so I trust him 100%. Sounds like we've got an absolute cracker of a player.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Strings has seen him play more than the majority of the rest of us and can be objective about his quality as he's not a Wolves fan so I trust him 100%. Sounds like we've got an absolute cracker of a player.

I wouldn't go that far - last time I sang a player's praises on NSC (a trialist that I had seen play before), he turned out to be rubbish and was told to go packing.

I like Ward though. Not the most skillful and not the best, but he will give 100%. I like players that try (see Adam el Abd, Alex Revell, etc.).

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Holy moly, his wife!!

article-0-1A5FE10D000005DC-884_634x670.jpg

Cracking figure and titsssssssssssss. I want to kiss her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here