Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward [Summer 2015 edition]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you need to check the publication dates of each piece to see who re-wrote who. (clue: you've got it completely wrong)

I often am ! I suspect both got the story at the same time to be honest yesterday and they are colleagues after all in the same newspaper group. (and its been rumoured well before yesterday in various places).
Naylor, i'm assuming, would have tried to stand it up with the club perhaps whilst/after the Burnley Express piece was published online (?) and it appears he has. Probably a bit unfair to say any rewriting going on by me. Sorry for that. Two independent stories being published at similar times and then published according to their various print/online deadlines.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I often am ! I suspect both got the story at the same time to be honest yesterday and they are colleagues after all in the same newspaper group. (and its been rumoured well before yesterday in various places).
Naylor, i'm assuming, would have tried to stand it up with the club perhaps whilst/after the Burnley Express piece was published online (?) and it appears he has. Probably a bit unfair to say any rewriting going on by me. Sorry for that. Two independent stories being published at similar times and then published according to their various print/online deadlines.

The PA often publishes journo's stories w/o credit and vice versa. Seems it's the done thing.

This is good news, but it shows what a mess we made of it last summer.

Fiddling about for weeks in order to save a few pounds last year, which has now meant we may well have to pay more ( £500K quoted in earlier article ) to get Ward than the extra few quid last summer.

Let's hope lessons are learnt.

This is what happens when a non football man is in Blooms ear.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Another one who finds it incredible that we appeared to delay and delay to force a better deal last year only to possibly end up paying more for the player this. Pretty poor all round I'd say.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Trippier going to Spurs may change things?

If he is keen then FFS tie the deal up ASAP rather than fanny about for the next month.

I was worried about this too. Ward was third choice last year, bought for his man-of-all-positions. Hopefully Burnley's task of cutting the wage bill will work in our favour though.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Unless we have a plethora of players signing on 1st July, I think many supporters will soon begin to heavily criticise the club for yet again being slow in signing players.

I sincerely hope that the goodwill of many season ticket holders is again not being taken advantage of!

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Just to add, why would Ward want to move. Surely he is on more money at Burnley and are they not more likely to be successful this coming season than us?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Just to add, why would Ward want to move. Surely he is on more money at Burnley and are they not more likely to be successful this coming season than us?

It's almost guaranteed that he'd have had a clause in his contract meaning his wage would be reduced if they were relegated. Also, they now have a strike force of only Sam Vokes, and Trippier leaving is a huge blow. I wouldn't expect them to bounce straight back up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

He would be second choice there and Burnley had relegation clauses in players contracts so money wouldn't be much of an issue.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Yes - I don't understand this either. And with Burnley selling players as well he'll probably get more chance in the team this year.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Trippier going to Spurs may change things?

I was worried about this too. Ward was third choice last year, bought for his man-of-all-positions. Hopefully Burnley's task of cutting the wage bill will work in our favour though.

Trippier is a right-back, shouldn't make any difference to Ward moving or not.

They also have Ben Mee and Daniel Lafferty as left-backs.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Trippier is a right-back, shouldn't make any difference to Ward moving or not.

They also have Ben Mee and Daniel Lafferty as left-backs.

Ooops.

In answer to why would Ward move. Well for us he would be FIRST choice left back, at Burnley he is currently THIRD choice.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Ooops.

In answer to why would Ward move. Well for us he would be FIRST choice left back, at Burnley he is currently THIRD choice.

Lafferty was on loan at Rotherham last season so both of them would be fighting for the place on the bench on the proviso Lafferty isn't sent back out on loan or sold.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Presumably it's the former employee of: The FA, Tottenham and The Vancouver Whitecaps.
That non-football bloke.

Not when it comes to player recruitment it isnt. Barbs has gone to great pains to make it clear, no absolutely clear that in no way is he responsible for player recruitment. Nope not me, no way. Which was a good way of sidestepping the Burke cluster**** last year.

He has said (and to be fair does a very good job) of getting the money in when we are selling a player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here