Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward [Summer 2015 edition]

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I can't believe we would touch Ward after the way his transfer to Burnley concluded...(even though we should have sealed it earlier).
Move on..more than happy to give Chicksen his chance than another loanee.

I don't understand some people. Let's say you had been temping at a job and they offered you a permanent contract at say £20k pa and while you were thinking about it, someone else offered you a contract at £50k pa. Would you really stay where you had been temping because they were nice people. Of course you wouldn't and you wouldn't be disrespectful to them by taking the higher paid job either.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Please be true.

The farce carried out by the Albion over this signing last summer was unforgivable.

Yep. And the willy waving that happened all over a £200k fee meant the alarm bells were ringing even then it was time to start wetting the bed.

Wages agreed, he wanted to come but we wouldnt pay £200k FOR AN INTERNATIONAL PROVEN CHAMP LEFT BACK

Are you ****ing serious???

All the willy waving meant Burnley could blindside us. And dont ever ****ing tell me otherwise.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, just to clarify - he's got a serious injury? Why would we want to sign him?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yep. And the willy waving that happened all over a £200k fee meant the alarm bells were ringing even then it was time to start wetting the bed.

Wages agreed, he wanted to come but we wouldnt pay £200k FOR AN INTERNATIONAL PROVEN CHAMP LEFT BACK

Are you ****ing serious???

All the willy waving meant Burnley could blindside us. And dont ever ****ing tell me otherwise.

It will be even more of a farce if we end up paying Burnley a lot more than £200k for him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I have no idea, I just did a goggle search when you said he had a serious injury!!

He's in the Ireland squad and on the bench for the game against England at the weekend. He was appeared as a sub for Burnley in a couple of games before the end of the season. The link you posted has the story being posted in December 2014, he appears to have recovered from that injury now.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I'd be very surprised if Dyche would be willing to sell Ward, who could very well be a regular starter next season.

Ward had won a regular spot after displacing Ben Mee at left-back and his run of games in early November to December coincided with Burnley's most successful spell of the season (4 unbeaten) before SW suffered a bad ankle injury against Newcastle in early December.

He was a big loss and our fate was almost sealed by the time he was fit to return late in the season.

I can definitely see Ward being Burnley's regular left-back next season with Ben Mee having to fight for a central defence position.

Danny Lafferty, Northern Ireland international, is our third-choice left-back - he was loaned at to Rotherham last season. He might be up for sale I would have thought.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd be very surprised if Dyche would be willing to sell Ward, who could very well be a regular starter next season.

Ward had won a regular spot after displacing Ben Mee at left-back and his run of games in early November to December coincided with Burnley's most successful spell of the season (4 unbeaten) before SW suffered a bad ankle injury against Newcastle in early December.

He was a big loss and our fate was almost sealed by the time he was fit to return late in the season.

I can definitely see Ward being Burnley's regular left-back next season with Ben Mee having to fight for a central defence position.

Danny Lafferty, Northern Ireland international, is our third-choice left-back - he was loaned at to Rotherham last season. He might be up for sale I would have thought.

That's a shame, I was seeing a glimmer of hope that we might actually sign a decent LB that we owned for the first time in years. I can see why Burnley would want to keep him, he was quality in this division two seasons ago.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I can't believe we would touch Ward after the way his transfer to Burnley concluded...(even though we should have sealed it earlier).
Move on..more than happy to give Chicksen his chance than another loanee.

If we are only going to go for players who wouldn't rather be earning double the money in a better league, then it'll be a very frustating summer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Naylor confirms he's one of Hughton's targets this morning.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13338346.Left_back_Ward_back_on_Albion_s_radar/

"The former loan signing is on the list of left-back targets as boss Chris Hughton attempts to fill the problem position in the defence.
Ward was on the verge of rejoining Albion last summer following a successful season on loan from Wolves when Burnley hijacked the deal at the eleventh hour.
Hughton's predecessor Sami Hyypia then borrowed 25-year-old Joe Bennett from Aston Villa.
Hughton would ideally like a more experienced player at left-back.
Republic of Ireland international Ward, 29, with nearly 300 appearances under his belt, fits the criteria."

and his Burnley counterpart likewise (although that just looks like a rewrite of Naylor's story)

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport...ighton-target-clarets-defender-ward-1-7314732

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Trippier going to Spurs may change things?

If he is keen then FFS tie the deal up ASAP rather than fanny about for the next month.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Naylor confirms he's one of Hughton's targets this morning.

and his Burnley counterpart likewise (although that just looks like a rewrite of Naylor's story)

I think you need to check the publication dates of each piece to see who re-wrote who. (clue: you've got it completely wrong)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is good news, but it shows what a mess we made of it last summer.

Fiddling about for weeks in order to save a few pounds last year, which has now meant we may well have to pay more ( £500K quoted in earlier article ) to get Ward than the extra few quid last summer.

Let's hope lessons are learnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here