Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Who in their right mind, if we are all honest, would take £3k less a week. Shame as I know for a fact his wife and him loved it down here but money talks and we are cautious to the extreme with the green.

We agreed to match his Wolves wages according to the Argus.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I would think in excess of £13500 nearer £14k which over 3 yr deal would earn an extra £150k

It's the length of contract that's the issue, I suppose. Burnley may go to 20k PW but if it's got a relegation clause and only a 2 year contract??? Or from us 13k plus a promotion raise to 17k? We may well still get him. If I was taking over from that Burke tonight, I'd leave it a day or two, find out the Burnley offer and then if necessary go to 14.5k to gazump them. I think he's vital, and to get a player like that, we may have to stretch, but with the cash that's come in recently, we can afford it.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Surely the wages in the championship are good because if we went up they could have a clause in there contract for an increase so it would be an incentive if we get promoted.:cheers:

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
It's the length of contract that's the issue, I suppose. Burnley may go to 20k PW but if it's got a relegation clause and only a 2 year contract??? Or from us 13k plus a promotion raise to 17k? We may well still get him. If I was taking over from that Burke tonight, I'd leave it a day or two, find out the Burnley offer and then if necessary go to 14.5k to gazump them. I think he's vital, and to get a player like that, we may have to stretch, but with the cash that's come in recently, we can afford it.

No chance of us over spending I'm afraid.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
that was such a bizzarre sequence of events, Gus was FUMING...so glad he came back and never really went in the end, can't remember why though?

And Calde without doubt made the right choice. No way he'd be at saints now if he'd gone there & we beat them to the league title that season!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Who cares?

I do... I'd take him back despite not showing for medical & have been hoping we'd still get him ever since Naylor tweeted Burnley were hijacking the deal... Tbh

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would think in excess of £13500 nearer £14k which over 3 yr deal would earn an extra £150k

Ward is they type who needs to play football and an extra grand a week to not play isn't enough. Maybe if they were offering £16-£18k it would be more tempting, but not £14k.

By the way, I'm not really bothered about him, just interested in what his choice is, because if the offer was too good to be true he would have signed by now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ward is they type who needs to play football and an extra grand a week to not play isn't enough. Maybe if they were offering £16-£18k it would be more tempting, but not £14k.

By the way, I'm not really bothered about him, just interested in what his choice is, because if the offer was too good to be true he would have signed by now.

Conversely no reports of him signing for Burnley yet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't give a fck anymore to be honest.

It is getting a bit like that - I think the Clayton saga took a lot out of us tbh

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bellend for the timing if it and not turning up for medical...

Apart from that thanks for last season & can't blame him for wanting to play in the prem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here