Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Steele for the next two or big bob?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Rumours we are after Kelleher the Liverpool number two
I saw that as well. I can’t see us paying 20m for a player who’s currently a second-choice GK with limited senior experience.

Probably just a journalist putting 2+2 together to make 5 based on Liverpool being interested in Max Allister.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Kelleher will be a disaster for whoever signs him. Please see Danny Ward for comparison. Leicester waited too long to dump Ward and it's going to cost them. Whoever signs Kelleher will have made the same mistake and if you've paid £20m for him then it's going to be a really, really painful flop.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I saw that as well. I can’t see us paying 20m for a player who’s currently a second-choice GK with limited senior experience.

Probably just a journalist putting 2+2 together to make 5 based on Liverpool being interested in Max Allister.
It was mentioned on the latest Albion Unlimited podcast too. We would probably be asking around £20m for Big Bob so I wouldn’t rule it out based on money. Personally I hope Bob stays, I thought it was harsh to drop him anyway, we have more important areas to bolster than keeper this summer - RB and LB cover for instance and a replacement for Colwill.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It was mentioned on the latest Albion Unlimited podcast too. We would probably be asking around £20m for Big Bob so I wouldn’t rule it out based on money. Personally I hope Bob stays, I thought it was harsh to drop him anyway, we have more important areas to bolster than keeper this summer - RB and LB cover for instance and a replacement for Colwill.
If RDZ doesn’t like Sanchez, then I disagree on the importance of a solid first-choice keeper. It is an absolutely key position. Thursday night was literally a tale of 2 keepers: On one side was Pickford pulling off some fantastic saves. On the other was Steele getting beaten at the near post twice, scoring an OG and not making a single save.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If RDZ doesn’t like Sanchez, then I disagree on the importance of a solid first-choice keeper. It is an absolutely key position. Thursday night was literally a tale of 2 keepers: On one side was Pickford pulling off some fantastic saves. On the other was Steele getting beaten at the near post twice, scoring an OG and not making a single save.
Spot on. Bring Big Bob back for the rest of the season. We simply cannot continue with Matty Ryan Mark 2. We need a shot stopper.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
He made a save just before half time didn't he? The 5 shots on target and 5 goals is due to the own goal (wasn't a shot on target), so if not for a save somewhere, it would be 5 goals from 4 on target.

It was clearly not his best game - also not helped by Pickford playing a blinder making him look worse by comparison - but I personally wouldn't say any of the goals conceded were howlers by Steele:

1. Totally exposed and nothing he could do about it
2. Beaten at near post, but from a well-placed volley smashed passed him from close range (described as 'perfection' by the commentator, for whatever that's worth)
3. Anticipates a cut-back to Iwobi, but it's drilled across goal towards Calvert-Lewin & flies in off Steele instead
4. Totally exposed and not a lot he could do about it. Someone (Dunk?) sliding across in front of him didn't help either.
5. A tip onto the post would have been a great reflex save - another one absolutely smashed just inside the near post. Yeah he missed it, but not a huge error.

I personally think RdZ will base his decision more on Steele's involvement in the organisation of the defence and playing out from the back rather than the manner of the goals conceded (and how he seems to have reacted in training since).

I wouldn't be completely surprised if Sanchez gets the nod, but that would depend on how he has been responding to RdZ's methods in training, as well as (if not more than) any perceived need to give Steele some time to think about Monday's performance.

EDIT: He was credited with a save for FPL purposes, which I assume is based on official PL stats?
1683817515764.png

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Rumours we are after Kelleher the Liverpool number two

He is an excellent keeper, great shot stopper, good aerially, great penalty record and most importantly he has very good feet. He represented his country at youth level playing as a centre forward.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
It’ll probably be Steele, on the basis that RDZ rates his ball-playing ability over Sanchez’ superior shot-stopping ability.

Wouldn’t recommend him as anyone’s fantasy football pick though.
He has the second best form of all the current goalies

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
When I think of Steele and the assist he got with that amazing mitoma goal the other week - I didn’t get this same vibe with big bob at Wembley.
I agree with that, I actually think they are both close to each other in terms of overall ability and benefit to the team at the moment.
My comment is more because I think it beneficial for Steele to take him out of the firing line for a game or two. Anyway, it's a decision with plus and minus either way - a decision for our boss who I still think is great 👍. UTA.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Kelleher will be a disaster for whoever signs him. Please see Danny Ward for comparison. Leicester waited too long to dump Ward and it's going to cost them. Whoever signs Kelleher will have made the same mistake and if you've paid £20m for him then it's going to be a really, really painful flop.
Every time I've seen Kelleher on TV he's looked very impressive.
However this was before I realised we needed a keeper with the passing range of Liam Brady, and I didn't really notice how good his distribution and close control was.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Spot on. Bring Big Bob back for the rest of the season. We simply cannot continue with Matty Ryan Mark 2. We need a shot stopper.
Steele is a great shot stopper - cast your mind back to the Man Utd league game as a very recent example. Steele is the better keeper in my opinion and has the far better attitude too.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Kind of like the St Louis Cardinals of MLB signing Willson Contreras, formerly of the Cubs, and not using him as their every day catcher. OMG! Idiots!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Or he may be a success like Arsenal's old no.2 keeper who made a total of 15 appearances for the Gunners in 10 seasons.

Left to become a no.1 and won the World cup with Alexis a couple of years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here