Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staying on and clapping

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Agree entirely with the OP.

At least the parents should be teaching their kids the right way - "Give the players a clap. Come on. Look there's Craig. Give Calde an extra clap. etc etc"

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Balls mate. As soon as the whistle goes I'm out of my seat and off like a rat up a drainpipe.

This! (Mostly)

Although I did stay for a minute or so to give them a clap on Wednesday. But as already said most players just give a cursory glance at the East Stand and wander off back to the West Stand. If they can't be arsed why should we?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I stayed until the end and clapped as I do every game but was getting the bus back this time and we just missed one. Then had to wait 30 minutes for another to come . I can understand why some people leave early if this is the case and until the travel situation is sorted , we will always have early leavers

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I usually stay to the end and clap whatever the result but that evening was satisfied with the win and left straight away because I needed to get up early for work the next morning. If it was on a Saturday I would have been clapping the last player off.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I always do every game - win lose or draw. And I tell you what, I always notice waaaay more in the WSU than anywhere else in the ground.

There is only one reason that happens, and that is because there are a load of inconsiderate bar-stewards who leave their seats, then stand in the aisles clapping the players off, thereby blocking off all those that want to leave :rant:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I usually stay to the end and clap whatever the result but that evening was satisfied with the win and left straight away because I needed to get up early for work the next morning. If it was on a Saturday I would have been clapping the last player off.

100% the same. I'm usually queuing on the steps as they walk off anyway so get to clap them off

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I 'll tell you what bugs me is the amount of people who clap the players off the pitch standing in the aisles and exits as it stops me getting out the stand, can people not walk and clap at the same time

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I presume this excuse only applies to midweek games.

Yes because the OP was talking about after the game Wednesday evening. Sunday or Saturday games do not affect him as there are trains to Staines, it is only evening games. If we kicked off at 7.30 he could make it but not with a 7.45 kick off. If we did that others possibly couldnt get there for kick off so it is swings and roundabouts.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
How does not clapping after a game demoralise the players? If you've been supporting them all game, are the players really going to get a little bit upset because the people who pay their wages didn't stay behind even longer and put two hands together?

I'm sure they will be crying into their tissues that are made of £50 notes all evening after a game. Footballers are so pandered and privelidged.

beverly.sawyers

Jan 5, 2014
This bugs me big time. If you're losing embarrassingly I can understand why fans would leave the stadium early.

And I can see why after a boring draw you might want to get away early.

But I was shocked after Wednesday's [wonderful] game how many 'fans' disappeared at or just before the final whistle.

Dudes, we need to congratulate our our players on a big performance, the feedback to them is more important than your place in the bus queue.

How demoralising must it be for the players, having sweated their bollocks off to grind a victory to see you ****ing off down the tunnel to get your place in the queue?

FFS Stay for a minute and congratulate the players! Stay a minute. Be supporters - be great supporters - c'mon!

WIN! STAY! CLAP! SING! WIN!

I totally agree and I am always there singing shouting and waving until last player leaves the ground.

The extra time is really nothing in grand scheme of things. I frankly always stay and clap the teams as I recognise even if the game is not going well - the guys are out there playing for us and probably feel as down as we do but have to try to battle through. What's more - my friends now all stay with me and once you have in your mind you will always hand around and clap team off, it's quite empowering! No ore rushing off to catch a train, bus, sit in traffic jam!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is only one reason that happens, and that is because there are a load of inconsiderate bar-stewards who leave their seats, then stand in the aisles clapping the players off, thereby blocking off all those that want to leave :rant:

Correct - either stay where you are or bugger off !

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Weekends I'll stay and clap whatever the result, full time whistle midweek though I'm like Keyser Soze - gone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm quite forgetful. I need the extra time to remember where I parked. Else I'd be like

1dude.jpg

Jan 30, 2008
How does not clapping after a game demoralise the players? If you've been supporting them all game, are the players really going to get a little bit upset because the people who pay their wages didn't stay behind even longer and put two hands together?

I'm sure they will be crying into their tissues that are made of £50 notes all evening after a game. Footballers are so pandered and privelidged.
the blind leading the blind with some on here I'm afraid
regards
DR

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I'm confused - you're saying that people only do that in WSU so that's why more people stay and clap?!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have to get back to Reading after a night game and don't normally get until way after midnight, but there was no way I was going to leave before the final whistle on Wednesday. very very rarely do. I really enjoyed how the team played and wanted to clap them off the pitch. I would love it if after a performance like that, everyone stayed. But I understand if people feel it too much hassle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here