Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statue Outside The Amex

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
There have been some outstanding individuals who have helped the Albion,Dick Knight,Tony Bloom etc. but maybe a generic statue of Albion fans who kept the club alive and campaigned for many long years to help win the struggle for the Amex.Power to the People!

I agree with this. Other have said it before, and it is still a great suggestion.

Our fans have worked hard to get us where we were. It was our fans that kept us going in the mid-90s, our fans that bought the Albion 'home' to Withdean, and our fans that campaigned for Falmer. A statue of tribute to 'the fans' would be a fantastic tribute.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If we had a statue at all it would need to be someone who stands the test of time. In this respect it can't be anyone current and my nomination would go to Charlie Webb who at times ran everything from the team to ticket sales. He is the one best remembered and known about in our history.

Statues, however, are expensive and will get in the way of catering facility space outside the ground. So, if anything, I would suggest the use of plaques on the outside walls of the stadium - they are a bit bland and there's plenty of them.

To make them "special" perhaps they should put up one every, say 5 years, voted for by the fans from a suitable list of nominees approved by the club.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I feel each manager that has won us a Championship should have a statue in their honour.

If we did that, Peter Taylor (II) would get a statue and Alan Mullery wouldn't.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
One more vote for the fan one please. BUT...

In the style of a massive Anish Kapoor mirrored oval on a plinth - representing the fan (seeing yourself and others wander past in reflection), the past (looking back) and the beautiful abstract simplicity of our football.

Like this, but thinner and on a plinth:
anish-kapoor-cloud-gate.jpeg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Eh! 1979?

We were runners up. We have only been Champions under Adams, Taylor and Poyet in recent years.

I know we won Div 3 South (50s) and 4 in the 60s but I'm not too sure who the managers were back then.

Edit. Lane and Macaulay?

LE19

Immortalising someone in a statue because they were rich enough to buy the club is ridiculous. The Amex would have still happened with or without TB, it just would have been a lot more of a burden over the next few decades.

DK saved the club, TB has just significantly eased the debt of the stadium.

Silly me, TB just spent some pocket money on a plaything, didn't he? No more deserving than Wardy.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Do we really need one?

It will just end up as yet another thing for the moaners to show their displeasure of!

As far as fans are concerned, there are pavers with peoples names on and tiles stuck to the ramp walls opposite the club shop. there is also the fans mosaic in Dick's Bar. Do we really need to bask in our own glory any more?

Where players are concerned, we have the 'Legends Wall' outside of the West Stand Reception. No doubt other past/future players who deserve recognition can be added. If you have been inside the corporate/behind the scenes areas you will know that there are lots of pictures of past players and glories adorning the walls, Mellor & Zamora to name but two. Past Directors are also remembered in this way (the Harry Bloom Lounge springs to mind) and obviously Dick Knight.

In my opinion, we don't need to go down the same road as other football clubs with statues outside our ground. I like the fact that at Brighton we do things differently from everyone else. Lets not lose that individualism!

Mind you, I would still like to see the 'Bellotti Bogs' somewhere!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I was thinking a fans united style one, with Richard Vaughan's initial message quotes beneath. Then just 'FANS UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED'

EDIT: Just re-read the whole bit maybe putting FA SCUM outside our ground isn't smart. Maybe then just 'A young 14 year old boy started a revolution: Fans united will never be defeated.' would be a good idea?

Perhaps you should study the Club's financial accounts and associated share issues/transactions during the previous decade when we were at Withdean before posting about TB's involvement in BHA.
You may like to do this before the 2011/12 return gets uploaded at CHse next month, otherwise you'll no doubt embarrass yourself even further then the "£8m loss = TB loan repayments" twaddle has already.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Immortalising someone in a statue because they were rich enough to buy the club is ridiculous. The Amex would have still happened with or without TB, it just would have been a lot more of a burden over the next few decades.

Oh dear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here