Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Star Wars IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Teaser Trailer

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm supposed to be going to the triple-bill showing this evening...but I'm not going to be going.

I'm fully aware this is sacrilegious to some and for that i apologise.
not to worry.....I am going, so it will balance out :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just got back from the midnight showing (after watching Episodes 7 and 8 first). Won't spoil anything, but I was not impressed.

I missed at least the first two at the cinema. I've been going to the cinema since such a young age, I can't actually remember when I started going, it's entirely possible I caught RotJ at the cinema during it's initial run. For me, the original trilogy films were mainstays of Christmas and Easter TV. I did see them in the cinema for their release ahead of the prequel trilogy. I've owned them all on vhs, dvd, blu ray and digital. I really enjoyed Force Awakens, I loved the Last Jedi.

So that's where I'm coming from.

For me, Rise of the Skywalker made a lot of, at best questionable decisions (at worst, plain bad decisions), it felt flat, unoriginal, lacking in any sense of visual style - like they'd been burned by previous criticisms and this time played it too safe. People were laughing during some supposedly tense emotional scenes toward the end.

I'll watch it again (I will still rewatch the prequel trilogy, despite not being massively enamoured with them). At the very least to see if I was just tired out from watching all three of the sequel trilogy in one evening, My friend really liked it, so maybe my opinion would change on second viewing. Maybe.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The current trilogy gets more love than it deserves considering how much the prequels were panned.
Tfa was OK, in a fan boy kind of way. The rehashed story was a joke.
The TLJ managed to do what only the phantom menace has marched in the series - to be dull.
I only got round to seeing the prequels years after release. In the context of low rather than sky high expectations, they weren’t bad.
Phantom menace was the weakest but the other two felt like standard star wars movies. I loved the wookie army bit. Also, let’s not forget, the original series was hammy with lots of toe-curling moments.
ROS is the first one of the new films I’m not in a rush to go and see, especially after reading Acker79’s review.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've read a few reviews including Ackers and I have low expectations. My only straw to clutch on is that some of the negative reviews come from people who like the TLJ which I can't abide (l'll go on hold for general Hux mega lols, let's rescue the space horses, Rose = Jar Jar Binks and Superwomen to name a few)

The force is not with me. Going Monday. Expectations low, I Have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is the best screen at the Odeon (Brighton)?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can we agree a date before which NO Spoilers are posted on NSC please?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Rose = Jar Jar Binks and Superwomen to name a few

What's your problem with Rose? I don't know the Superwomen reference, but I can't see why she's like Jar Jar. She seemed fine to me.

I thought TFA and TLJ were alright, but I've only watched them a couple of times each, whereas every other (canon) Star Wars film has had at least ten watches from me, apart from Solo which is sitting around the six or seven times mark.

Got way too excited for eps 7 and 8 and came away a bit disappointed, so expectations lowered for this one.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I don't go to the cinema much and tend to alternate between the IMAX at Crawley for the big set piece blockbusters and the thrifty Worthing Sunday night/Monday night £3.50 per seat nights. Having seen the reviews we are going to the Worthing Dome on Monday night. 2D screening four tickets for less than a single seat at the IMax

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What's your problem with Rose? I don't know the Superwomen reference, but I can't see why she's like Jar Jar. She seemed fine to me.

I thought TFA and TLJ were alright, but I've only watched them a couple of times each, whereas every other (canon) Star Wars film has had at least ten watches from me, apart from Solo which is sitting around the six or seven times mark.

Got way too excited for eps 7 and 8 and came away a bit disappointed, so expectations lowered for this one.

Quite simply, Rose just got on my nerves especially so during that pass the sick bucket scene when she stopped Finn doing a Kamikaze run. The moralising with the Space horses got on my tits are well. The Superwoman reference was Leia's ability to fly through space arm in the air which is up there with Anakin Skywalker saying 'In my opinion, the Jedi are evil' or the love scenes in Attack of the Clones as the worst moments in any Star Wars films.

I enjoyed TFA albeit it was 'Star Wars greatest hits' and nothing new. I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Acker's review which suggested that people were laughing in the poignant bits really rings the alarm bells.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just managed to make the 10:10 showing at the new cineworld in Eastbourne, surprised by the availability of tickets.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Quite simply, Rose just got on my nerves especially so during that pass the sick bucket scene when she stopped Finn doing a Kamikaze run. The moralising with the Space horses got on my tits are well. The Superwoman reference was Leia's ability to fly through space arm in the air which is up there with Anakin Skywalker saying 'In my opinion, the Jedi are evil' or the love scenes in Attack of the Clones as the worst moments in any Star Wars films.

Fair dos. I reckon you're right with the Ani/Padmé scenes in AotC being the most painful.

I'm seeing it in ten hours, so I'll post a wee review in the morning.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm looking forward to it. I'm expecting what you get from any other SW film: a few lightsaber fights, a few will they/won't they turn to the dark side moments, the odd death of a cherished Star Wars character who then comes back as a hologram, some Battle of Britain in space, weird aliens, some terrible comedy and some spectacular set pieces. That's what I'm expecting anyway.

My order of preference:
RO
ANH
ESB
TLJ
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
AOTC
TPM
Solo

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
ANH
RO
ESB
ROTJ
SOLO
ROTS
TFA/TLJ
AOTC
TPM

I liked Rebels more than the Mandalorian and Clone Wars TV series, never seen Resistance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here