[Film] Star Wars IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Teaser Trailer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Enjoyed the latest offering as I did with the previous two. Then again my expectations are not as high as others, I just treat it as a few hours of escapist fun, and it delivered.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just got back from the midnight showing (after watching Episodes 7 and 8 first). Won't spoil anything, but I was not impressed.

I missed at least the first two at the cinema. I've been going to the cinema since such a young age, I can't actually remember when I started going, it's entirely possible I caught RotJ at the cinema during it's initial run. For me, the original trilogy films were mainstays of Christmas and Easter TV. I did see them in the cinema for their release ahead of the prequel trilogy. I've owned them all on vhs, dvd, blu ray and digital. I really enjoyed Force Awakens, I loved the Last Jedi.

So that's where I'm coming from.

For me, Rise of the Skywalker made a lot of, at best questionable decisions (at worst, plain bad decisions), it felt flat, unoriginal, lacking in any sense of visual style - like they'd been burned by previous criticisms and this time played it too safe. People were laughing during some supposedly tense emotional scenes toward the end.

I'll watch it again (I will still rewatch the prequel trilogy, despite not being massively enamoured with them). At the very least to see if I was just tired out from watching all three of the sequel trilogy in one evening, My friend really liked it, so maybe my opinion would change on second viewing. Maybe.

To what extent did watching the three films back to back feel like one whole piece of work coming together?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To what extent did watching the three films back to back feel like one whole piece of work coming together?

I'm not sure it did. It felt like they needed a showrunner-type, someone who fits that Kevin Feige role for Marvel - someone who has an overarching control of the story and direction of the movies, who works with the directors/writers to allow them to stamp their own identity on their instalment while working within the constraints of a single overarching vision. Without that, it felt like when you pass a piece of paper around, each writing the next line of the story.

TBH, I'm not even sure Episode 9 alone hung together as a whole piece of work, it seemed to contradict itself, but I can't really explain how without spoilers.

Again, though, I would stress my cinema buddy really enjoyed it and felt it reminded him of Return of the Jedi (he was not a big fan of the last jedi and only came along for Episode 9 last night).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Apropos of nothing to do with TROS, I loved Solo. Primarily because I completely fell in love with Erin Kellyman (the character Enfys Nest). More of her please :love:

img-2467774-f.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No doubt the movie buffs will tell me it was crap, but I don't care, because I loved it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can take or leave Star Wars. Especially ones without Han Solo. But I’d like to see it on the big screen. Going to see it tomorrow as it’s the last day the cinemas won’t be absolutely rammed.

I have a limitless card so don’t really look at ticket prices but noticed that odeon is charging £14.25 per ticket! Insane.
Worthing Dome on a weekday afternoon is £3.50

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also amazed that people actually consider the prequel things to be Star Wars films.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have a limitless card so don’t really look at ticket prices but noticed that odeon is charging £14.25 per ticket! Insane.
I just paid £12.25 inc booking fee (Brighton Odeon)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Okay.
Online it says £14.25
There are many pricing variants, not one is £12.25 online.
Congratulations! I guess.

£12.25 is the off peak one, it is showing for me as the price of every 2D showing today. Every showing tomorrow is peak, and £14.25.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Okay.
Online it says £14.25
There are many pricing variants, not one is £12.25 online.
Congratulations! I guess.
Thanks. Whatever you're getting the prices from (even if it's Odeon's website), appears to be wrong.

I just clicked on the 6pm showing of SW today, clicked on 'book as guest' and adults are £12.25. Which is what I paid earlier.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They were dog shit, weren’t they.

I watched the first half hour or so of the first one. Walked out and swore never to see another minute of any of them. Which I have stuck to.

"Oh but the third one is quite good and....." I don't care. It's not Star Wars.

I've enjoyed the Disney ones. Yeah lot's of faults, but it IS Star Wars and it means my nipper's generation has got to experience the whole excitement/experience that I got from the originals.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks. Whatever you're getting the prices from (even if it's Odeon's website), appears to be wrong.

I just clicked on the 6pm showing of SW today, clicked on 'book as guest' and adults are £12.25. Which is what I paid earlier.

Regular Odeon site. No odds though as I pay £18 a month to go as match as I like. Which is great some months , waste of money others. Overall I think it works out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I watched the first half hour or so of the first one. Walked out and swore never to see another minute of any of them. Which I have stuck to.

"Oh but the third one is quite good and....." I don't care. It's not Star Wars.

I've enjoyed the Disney ones. Yeah lot's of faults, but it IS Star Wars and it means my nipper's generation has got to experience the whole excitement/experience that I got from the originals.

I recall going to see the Phantom Menace in ‘99 I think. The excitement of the audience palpably turned to disappointment rapidly. I gave up one egg they slaughtered Darth Maul, the only character with any potential. A shit show from start to finish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports