Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Star Lizard - what exactly do we know?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Starlizard seems to be coming up a lot amongst football fans I speak to, and on football/social media.

'How do Brighton keep uncovering gems like this?'

'Well, Tony Bloom's algorithm of course'

By that they must mean Starlizard.

If you look at the website, it all looks fairly normal, and quite impressive. It's quite transparent in that it is describing itself as a leading sports data analysis company. It's not clear who the clients are though, if anyone.

So it would be reasonable to assume that that BHAFC is benefiting from Starlizard in some ways, if not many ways. Whether it's recruitment, match analysis, or whatever.

But the way that people are talking about 'the algorithm' almost makes it seem like a mythical hack into football - like a Football Manager cheat code.

I wonder how much of our relative success is down to Starlizard, and how much of it is just down to old fashioned good management of a football club.

Would be interested to know if any NSCers know anything more about this.
It's all down to Tonys Secret Sauce, Eva Petulengro. Starlizard identifies likely candidates, then Eva has a look at the tea leaves to make sure.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's all down to Tonys Secret Sauce, Eva Petulengro. Starlizard identifies likely candidates, then Eva has a look at the tea leaves to make sure.

is that like the secret sauce that staff in a restaurant add to as many dishes as possible when Piers Morgan is eating at their place?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I would beg to differ. As long as speculation is not maliciously founded, surely in an open society any company should be open to scrutiny and comment?

This is absolutely correct, and why wealthy corporations lobbying governments to the extent they do is problematic.

We only get a (very limited) say in selecting our politicians. We have no say at all in who are on the board of global corporations, we have no way to remove them from power, and although technically there are mechanisms by which they can be removed, these really exist as a fig leaf and are incredibly rarely used.

Yet the power these corporations hold has direct and dramatic influence on our democracies. Corbyn was absolutely a flawed character, and unsuitable for PM, but I like to think that even the most rabid right wing commentator, looking back over the press coverage from the time, would acknowledge that as well as the legitimate criticism, there was a steady flow of character assassination type articles, dismissible on their own, but the constant drip feed of them having a cumulative effect.

Any party that causes jitters among the corporate status quo, will find itself under prolonged and fierce attack by most of our press.

Effectively our politicians are penned in, they can only present centre-right friendly policies without coming under sustained attack, damaging enough to discourage swing voters. Hence Starmer is electable, he understands what is possible, Corbyn did not.

Until the electorate understands that this is what’s happening, and is capable of holding their noses and ignoring negative coverage in the run up to an election to actually vote for something different, we are doomed to spending our lives trapped in a world that is very much like it is today.

There are huge degrees of difference even so. Even within the current framework, there’s a great deal of difference between a competent, honest, well-intentioned party, and the current incumbents.

EDIT: Apologies, I’ve gone off on a tangent, will shut up.

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I just finished reading DB's third installment of his life story. I have every amount of time for him, That quote is completely apt, in my view.

And as a scientist I of course have curiosity. But I also appreciate the more moral/philosophical issue around my need to know, my right to know and, at the end of the day who gains what by my new knowledge.

I really don't want to know how Tony does it. Any more than I want to know how Ingrid Bergman did that thing she did that made me want to crawl through broken glass.

I think you are just being nosey. :wink:
You speak a lot of sense there H - Ingrid Bergman was one of the most stunningly attractive women I have seen - it’s not the only reason Casablanca is my favourite film but it’s definitely a contributory factor!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's where the magic happens

evapetulengro-westpier-brighton-eastsussex-1983-nex6scan-dsc06361_1200.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You speak a lot of sense there H - Ingrid Bergman was one of the most stunningly attractive women I have seen - it’s not the only reason Casablanca is my favourite film but it’s definitely a contributory factor!
And Greta Garbo. Triggered by this conversation I went hunting for a track by Tuxedomoon I have on tape but that I have never found on CD. Then I ran across a CD of theirs I don't own. Patient checking of tracks on youtube and, lo and behold. Scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here