Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Star Lizard - what exactly do we know?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Starlizard seems to be coming up a lot amongst football fans I speak to, and on football/social media.

'How do Brighton keep uncovering gems like this?'

'Well, Tony Bloom's algorithm of course'

By that they must mean Starlizard.

If you look at the website, it all looks fairly normal, and quite impressive. It's quite transparent in that it is describing itself as a leading sports data analysis company. It's not clear who the clients are though, if anyone.

So it would be reasonable to assume that that BHAFC is benefiting from Starlizard in some ways, if not many ways. Whether it's recruitment, match analysis, or whatever.

But the way that people are talking about 'the algorithm' almost makes it seem like a mythical hack into football - like a Football Manager cheat code.

I wonder how much of our relative success is down to Starlizard, and how much of it is just down to old fashioned good management of a football club.

Would be interested to know if any NSCers know anything more about this.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Starlizard seems to be coming up a lot amongst football fans I speak to, and on football/social media.

If you look at the website, it all looks fairly normal, and quite impressive. It's quite transparent in that it is describing itself as a leading sports data analysis company. It's not clear who the clients are though, if anyone.

So it would be reasonable to assume that that BHAFC is benefiting from Starlizard in some ways, if not many ways. Whether it's recruitment, match analysis, or whatever.

But the way that people are talking about 'the algorithm' almost makes it seem like a mythical hack into football - like a Football Manager cheat code.

I wonder how much of our relative success is down to Starlizard, and how much of it is just down to old fashioned good management of a football club.

Starlizard are (understandably) very secretive - staff are under very strict confidentiality policies. The club pays Starlizard for ‘information‘ - it’s essentially a consultancy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I doubt that StarLizard actually finds players for us etc. TB will use similar or the same data sources rather.
StarLIzard finds value bets and they are very good at it. You can find undervalued players in a similar way. TB would want full control of that and I doubt that StarLizard is the key to it, maybe just a conduit to get access to the data and some number crunching.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My guess is that probably star lizard is a model that says how good a player could be, then BHA use that to work out whether to buy players or not
Isn't it simply that in order to 'feed' the Starlizard algorithm they need masses of data, some of which relates to the abilities and characteristics of football players globally. We just pay Starlizard for access to some of that database to profile players that are suited to our; club ethos, style of play, specific requirements for each position. and NO DICKHEADS

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't it simply that in order to 'feed' the Starlizard algorithm they need masses of data, some of which relates to the abilities and characteristics of football players globally. We just pay Starlizard for access to some of that database to profile players that are suited to our; club ethos, style of play, specific requirements for each position. and NO DICKHEADS
If it was simply down to the Starlizard algorithm, then I dare say some other club or organisation would have reverse engineered it by now. The algorithm must be supplemented by some super-smart boots on the ground shirley. Whatever the exact mix, it sure is one winning formula that the likes of Chelsea are really struggling to replicate. And long may it remain so

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would guess that Albion's success is down to a very highly skilled, motivated, well rewarded and well managed team from TB/PBOBE downwards that works extremely hard to achieve the success they do. They will use various tools/methods including detailed analytics (as do all Premier league teams) and given that TB already has a successful business in that area make use of that.

Unfortunately good people working hard isn't much of a story. 'The Secret Algorithm' is much more exciting to believe :dunce:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If it was simply down to the Starlizard algorithm, then I dare say some other club or organisation would have reverse engineered it by now. The algorithm must be supplemented by some super-smart boots on the ground shirley. Whatever the exact mix, it sure is one winning formula that the likes of Chelsea are really struggling to replicate. And long may it remain so
Agreed, the skill is in the interpretation of the data.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
an algorithm for players is something some journos can pick up on. Starlizard have algos for betting markets and they need an extensive database, which the club get to dip into for player searches, look for non-obvious performance or value. ok maybe there's some algos in there. i reckon its probably not much different to FM to shortlist, with a lot more depth and more intelligent analysis.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
1694195153022.png

This is worth reading. Has a small mention of Starlizard but no detail.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

You're not "interested". You are just an extremely nosey individual with little or no life of any value.

A question for you..;

How long will it be before you run away snivelling and demanding that all your previous posts are deleted from NSC as you did before as Mustafa 1 and causing Bozza one of the most difficult periods of his tenure in charge of NSC....a forum which so many of us derive such pleasure from ?

I shall refrain from describing you as an utter scumbag this time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You're not "interested". You are just an extremely nosey individual with little or no life of any value.

A question for you..;

How long will it be before you run away snivelling and demanding that all your previous posts are deleted from NSC as you did before as Mustafa 1 and causing Bozza one of the most difficult periods of his tenure in charge of NSC....a forum which so many of us derive such pleasure from ?

I shall refrain from describing you as an utter scumbag this time.
I agree that the nature of the wording for the OP almost seemed like a Crodo setup. The 'a lot of people are talking about' line in particular. A weird way to ask about something.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Lots of over simplification in the media and on social media about what StarLizard do.

A lot of the football industry is/was quite old fashioned and involved scouts going to watch players to give their verdict. With us there is some serious data science going on to help find players now. There’s stats available for so many aspects of a players game and it can be interrogated in loads of ways using software like R and Python which need to be programmed to find what is being looked for. That is where StarLizard will come in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here