Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadiums that look like the Amex?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It's built within the footprint of an old 1930's stadium. Those banks are the old terraces

The old stadium was built in 1956, and re-built for the 2006 World Cup.

It was a typical Iron Curtain / Warsaw Pact era stadium of the sort seen right across eastern Europe. The Communists were basically just giving a big 'two fingers' to the Americans along the lines of 'anything you can build, we can build bigger'.

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1987-0801-101,_Leipzig,_Zentralstadion,_Sportfest.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1987-0801-101,_Leipzig,_Zentralstadion,_Sportfest.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1967_PBW-3.jpg
    1967_PBW-3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I've been to two games there, both evening matches and the atmosphere is brilliant, partly because you can see the outside world going on through the gaps in the corners. It gives it an unworldly feel. Brilliant .

That's the only bit of that stadium I'm not sure of, the huge gaps in the corners. Obviously difficult to judge until I've actually been there and seen it properly, but I do prefer the corners being closed off at the Amex

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Does anyone remember the original design of Falmer was to be one stand , I think the West Stand and 3 temporary ones like the South at Withdean ?
Of course that was down to the potless pillock being involved.

no - the original design was to build one stand at a time - rather than build the whole thing all at once.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wait.. there were actually plans to have grass on the roof.. ???:lolol:

The angle of the roof is something like 70 degrees. You try getting a Flymo on it...........................

In the days before they invented health and safety I used to work for the PSA at RAF Brize Norton cutting the grass around the airfield. We used to stand on top of the grassed bunkers that flanked the storage areas for bombs and stuff, and then we used to swing a huge petrol flymo on a length of webbing/rope to cut the grass all the way down the side of the bunkers.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In the days before they invented health and safety I used to work for the PSA at RAF Brize Norton cutting the grass around the airfield. We used to stand on top of the grassed bunkers that flanked the storage areas for bombs and stuff, and then we used to swing a huge petrol flymo on a length of webbing/rope to cut the grass all the way down the side of the bunkers.
I remember that technique being employed by groundsman proles on the grassy banks at Lancing College. What do you think they do now?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I remember that technique being employed by groundsman proles on the grassy banks at Lancing College. What do you think they do now?

We went to work at RAF Brize Norton!!!!!!*

*not true, but couldn't resist!

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
Leipzig Zentral Stadium, is a RINGER for the Amex;

leipzigstadium_large.jpg

I went to see the Iran v Angola match (WC 2006) here and commented at the time how similar it was to the (at that time) dream of a new Falmer Stadium for BHA ... think i counted somthing like 330 steps to my seat including the climb up to the top of the outer concourse before going back down the old terrace steps to reach the bridges across to the stadium.

For the record, no idea what the score was and nor do I care.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Wow- where's that? It's like Withdean meets AMEX!!!

For that..... Estadio municipal Leiria in Portugal, running track, even has the hammer net at the end for the away fans........... if only Dick Knight had vision!

%5Cficheiros%5CImage%5CNoticias%5C23_06_08_TacaEuropaAtletismo3.JPG

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I went to see the Iran v Angola match (WC 2006) here and commented at the time how similar it was to the (at that time) dream of a new Falmer Stadium for BHA ... think i counted somthing like 330 steps to my seat including the climb up to the top of the outer concourse before going back down the old terrace steps to reach the bridges across to the stadium.

For the record, no idea what the score was and nor do I care.

1-1 draw apparantly

The result left the Iranians bottom of Group D with a solitary point from their three group games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here