Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadiums that look like the Amex?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's a key difference between the Amex and all those grounds which makes it very unusual. Normally the arches only curve in one way (i.e. to create the arch).... But ours also curve outwards to the edge of the roof. A long time since I did my technical drawing but I suppose you'd say they curve in both the 'plan' and 'side elevation' views.

It's unique in this country I believe but I think there may well be a link to the architects of a stadium out in Australia.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
images

images

images

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Interestingly enough I am pretty sure the architects who designed that stadium also did the Amex. I seem to remember that at one of the first stadium forums at Hove Town Hall about 10-12 years ago Dick Knight introduced these 2 guys who were among the audience and said that they also designed the Sydney Olympic Stadium...Anyone else remember this?

This is the original graphic of the Falmer Stadium and as you can see, it has not changed much from the finished article:

falmerstad.jpg

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

We've been ripped off! where is the grass on the roof???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We've been ripped off! where is the grass on the roof???

There was an explanation why it was removed, both technical and logistical, as well as something to do with one of the colleges pulling out of part of the project, thus changing some of the usage. You'll need to go back to the presentations made after JPs decision, it was back then sometime.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
There was an explanation why it was removed, both technical and logistical, as well as something to do with one of the colleges pulling out of part of the project, thus changing some of the usage. You'll need to go back to the presentations made after JPs decision, it was back then sometime.

Wait.. there were actually plans to have grass on the roof.. ???:lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Porto's stadium is my favourite in the world. It's how I imagine Amex would look if we got to regular Champs League football.
Awesome stadium, play in blue and white stripes and very successful. What's not to like about Porto? :clap:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wait.. there were actually plans to have grass on the roof.. ???:lolol:

Thanks for the speedy reply, lol.

When planning was approved by JP in October 2005;

"It's been a good week for new stadia with John Prescott finally giving the go ahead to Brighton and Hove Albion FC's proposed new home ground at Falmer on the edge of Brighton after the longest running planning wrangle in the history of football.......

The club were already aware of this drawback when designing the stadium and have taken the unique move of having it cut into the ground to reduce the profile of it as much as possible. These environmental credentials will be enhanced by the ends of the roof of the stadium which are covered in grass."

The grass topped bunds were recommended for removal from the application here

http://cmispublic.lewes.gov.uk/Public/Binary.ashx?Document=1376

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here