Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadiums that look like the Amex?

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Interestingly enough I am pretty sure the architects who designed that stadium also did the Amex. I seem to remember that at one of the first stadium forums at Hove Town Hall about 10-12 years ago Dick Knight introduced these 2 guys who were among the audience and said that they also designed the Sydney Olympic Stadium...Anyone else remember this?

This is the original graphic of the Falmer Stadium and as you can see, it has not changed much from the finished article:

falmerstad.jpg

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Company I work did the QS.
KSS were the architect.

Yoda

English & European
Does anyone remember the original design of Falmer was to be one stand , I think the West Stand and 3 temporary ones like the South at Withdean ?
Of course that was down to the potless pillock being involved.

Think it might have been the East Stand first not the West. With the West being built in the 2nd phase and finally the North & South in the final phase.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does anyone remember the original design of Falmer was to be one stand , I think the West Stand and 3 temporary ones like the South at Withdean ?

I'd almost forgotten that; it would've been quite crap wouldn't it?

I seem to remember it would have initially been a permanent east stand with temporary north and south stands, with a total capacity of 10,000... and we were still excited about it!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I seem to remember it would have initially been a permanent east stand with temporary north and south stands, with a total capacity of 10,000... and we were still excited about it!

Bad Times

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Do any pictures of this staged/modular Falmer design exist? They would be very interesting to see.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

we probably would have run out of money half way through and ended up with half a stadium

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

It was a full west stand and plus a temporary side. The west stand in those days was expected to be 10k (rather than the 12 now) and the side would add another 4 k. the south stand at withdean was going to be the temporary side.

Dont forget that when it was planned we were still in the old div 3 and were struggling mid table at best after Horton went and playing in front of 3k at Gillingham.

As time elapsed to proved to be more cost effective to build all in one go and also the team were more succesful (playing in front of initially 6k then 7k at withdean and selling out). The change in build phase allowed the change in design which means the roof needed to be built in one go so it could hold itself up using the arches and support ring.

Last edited:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The first plans they had for the redeveloped Landsdown Road were very similar to our Stade de AMEX.

Attachments

• Landsdown road plan a.jpg
    Landsdown road plan a.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 843

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here