Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] St. George's Day at Wembley

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When i was in the NTC as a young lad ( many decades ago ) blowing the bugle dressed as a sailor we always marched through the streets playing military marching songs to whatever church we would end up in depending where we were. Always had to scrounge a couple of pennies for the collection bowl which always seemed to start with us.
Apart from this have never celebrated St George's Day.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When i was in the NTC as a young lad ( many decades ago ) blowing the bugle dressed as a sailor we always marched through the streets playing military marching songs to whatever church we would end up in depending where we were. Always had to scrounge a couple of pennies for the collection bowl which always seemed to start with us.
Apart from this have never celebrated St George's Day.

A phrase you don't hear enough these days :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Celebrating your national saint's day? How provincial. Leave that to the Irish, Welsh and Scots.*

I'll be more focused on beating Man Utd on Sunday rather than anything else.

I'm as proud to be English as a Frenchman might be to be French, but I'm no nationalist. I think when you start going all nationalist and making out that you live in the greatest country on earth, then you're talking bollocks. It's the same as when Yorkshire folk bang on about Yorkshire being God's county and all that hyperbole. I've lived in Barnsley and if that's where God lives then he/she needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
Yes, I think I get that - Like when us Sussex born folk go on about Sussex, you mean, innit?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Won't be celebrating as St Edmund should be our patron saint.
From Wiki:

'Nothing is known of his life or reign from contemporary written sources'

Three cheers for, erm, random bloke who nobody knows anything about.

I think this may be the reason why so few give a flying flamingo about such celebrations.

I'm all Sussex meself. Tony Bloom Day anyone ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
From Wiki:

I think this may be the reason why so few give a flying flamingo about such celebrations.

We should have two days of celebration1 one for Harry and one for Megan, the king and queen of Sussex.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, I think I get that - Like when us Sussex born folk go on about Sussex, you mean, innit?
Or us Surrey born folk who go on about Sussex !

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
From Wiki:

Little bit selective there. He's a saint due to his reported martyrdom. English, died defending the land from the Danes. That's why he gets my vote ahead of George, who was a Christian martyr but from nowhere bloody near England.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Which Saint was it that went around beating himself over the bonce with a chunk of wood?

I'm only interested as on a visit to the Carpathian the whole village was at it for ages whilst I was trying to watch home and away.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
We should have two days of celebration1 one for Harry and one for Megan, the king and queen of Sussex.
This extra bank holiday for Charlie boy is a pain in the arse for people who don’t get paid when offices shut for bank holidays (me).

Why he couldn’t have just used one of the other bank holidays in may I’ll never know.

My preference would have been to stop the monarchy with Liz. It’s not relevant for the 21st century.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The OP is going to need a bigger net. Here goes.

. According to tradition he was a soldier in the Roman army. Saint George was a soldier of Cappadocian Greek origin and member of the Praetorian Guard for Roman emperor Diocletian, who was sentenced to death for refusing to recant his Christian faith. He became one of the most venerated saints and megalomartyrs in Christianity, and he has been especially venerated as a military saint since the Crusades. He is respected by Christians, Druze, as well as some Muslims as a martyr of monotheistic faith.

Btw the way, the Crusades were led by the French.
King Richard I, a Plantagenet, hardly set foot in Britain, and only spoke French.

Bonjour à tous
Yes but apart from that what did he or the Romans do for us?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This extra bank holiday for Charlie boy is a pain in the arse for people who don’t get paid when offices shut for bank holidays (me).

Why he couldn’t have just used one of the other bank holidays in may I’ll never know.

My preference would have been to stop the monarchy with Liz. It’s not relevant for the 21st century.
Join the rebellion my friend, we await the rallying call from Harry and Meagan to commence the Sussexit from the tyranny of the yolk of oppression from our English/British/UK/european overlords.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Join the rebellion my friend, we await the rallying call from Harry and Meagan to commence the Sussexit from the tyranny of the yolk of oppression from our English/British/UK/european overlords.
Im sold, I think she is fit and I don’t read the daily mail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here