Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sponsored kids walk. Kids wanting money before the walk?!!!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
What happens when you sponsor some clown who has a fantastic idea to run a marathon, gets a loads of sponsorship, then realises as it's quire a lot of training so doesn't; bother?

Ironically the OP answers this question himself...

The Clamp said:
I'm saddened it's so rife. Especially given the word sponsor has Latin roots in "to trust".

The money goes; you've given it on the basis of trust that they will complete the walk/marathon/whatever.

If the kids have to walk door-to-door twice just to get the sponsorship, the walk will fast become more than 5 miles. Plenty here will fall on either side of the debate I'm sure, but I'm completely with the OP's missus on this one.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I wonder if this debate lies with the age of the sponsor. When I was young sponsorship was never paid up front, the deed had to be done and whoever had been sponsored proudly came round to say they had completed the task and were duly paid.

These days I guess everyone is more affluent and 'it's just a fiver' doesn't mean anything, it's easier to just give the money and not be bothered whether it was earned or not.

Who else do you pay up front, trusting that they will do the job ?

Perhaps they ought not to bother with the task/activity and just ask for the cash, after all it's in a good cause

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I wonder if this debate lies with the age of the sponsor. When I was young sponsorship was never paid up front, the deed had to be done and whoever had been sponsored proudly came round to say they had completed the task and were duly paid.

These days I guess everyone is more affluent and 'it's just a fiver' doesn't mean anything, it's easier to just give the money and not be bothered whether it was earned or not.

You can TRUST me

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It's an 8 year old kid doing a school fund raiser. I cannot believe people are that worried about giving over £5 to help the local school whether she completes the damn walk or not! Good grief.

That surely isn't the point, and I doubt if the OP is being a tight wad. It's about doing things the correct way. I went into a Wimpy Bar ( I know, I know, I know how to live:)) in London once, and was asked to pay when I ordered..... I doubt he put my meal where I'd suggested!
How are kids going to learn trust when teachers are encouraging stuff like this. To be honest as a fiver's not much money today I think I'd have said "I tell you what, I'll sponsor you for £10 but you get it when you've done it". Even the Mrs couldn't suggest you were being a tight wad then. Though as we can't win, you'd probably get a slap for wasting money! :shrug:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Someone at the office recently did a 100 mile bike ride. Most people sponsored them a flat amount - around £10. I sponsored them 10p a mile - and was accused of being stingy, even though it was, of course, the same amount so long as they completed the ride.

I always thought that was the point of sponsored events like this - the more you achieve, the more you raise. When it gets to 80 miles and you're knackered - you put in the extra effort to do the last 20 miles, so that you raise another 25%. I'm sure this is how it always used to work when we walked round the boundary of Portslade parish to raise money for school stuff? If you already have the money in advance, where's the motivation to keep going?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps the school should have said to parents to ask for a 'DONATION' to the school fundraising event where the kids are doing a walk, and then it would have taken all the hand wringing out of the grumpy old git society whose ********s fall out of their pants if an 8 year old has the audacity to ask for £5 up front in sponsorship.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
5 miles? Is that all? When I was at school our sponsored walk was FIFTEEN MILES!!!!

FIFTEEN MILES,you were lucky!

When we did our sponsored walk at school, it was 500 miles,
Barefoot,
On broken glass,
Carrying an anvil,
And a sack of nutty slack.

And you tell the kids of today, and they won't believe you

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Perhaps they ought not to bother with the task/activity and just ask for the cash, after all it's in a good cause

It does seem to have changed with the age of Just Giving and the like. It definitely was the sone thing to go round with a form collecting pledges of sponsorship payable on completion.
A lot of the big events require you to set up just giving or similar and insist on proof that at least half of the sponsorship target is received 4 to 6 weeks before the event.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
You could have written a cheque and cancelled it if they did not prove the walk was completed fully.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Quite, this is where the problem arises as many of todays fund raising efforts require funds to be in hand well before the event in order to pay for the travel, accommodation and equipment so the (once in a lifetime holiday) fund raising event can raise £25 for said charity.

On another note, I am climbing mount killamangaro. I need to raise a miniumum of £800 to do it.. Anyone want to sponsor me?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone at the office recently did a 100 mile bike ride. Most people sponsored them a flat amount - around £10. I sponsored them 10p a mile - and was accused of being stingy, even though it was, of course, the same amount so long as they completed the ride.
Pah 100 miles I'd have laughed in their face, then told them to fook off and come back with a proper ride.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It's an 8 year old kid doing a school fund raiser. I cannot believe people are that worried about giving over £5 to help the local school whether she completes the damn walk or not! Good grief.
Absolutely.

You're onto something here, I've given on a number of occasions to "old so n so's" kid for this that n the other and never had evidence it actually took place, we're through the looking glass here people, this could open a shit storm bigger than PPI with 'victims' and lawyers claiming all those fivers back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here