Spineless Sainsburys and all that is wrong in today's society!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What a load of crap, the checkout person is paid to checkout the items and take payment not make idle chit chat.

The check-out person is a human being and as such deserves as much respect as anyone.

toff79

Aug 8, 2011
I don't understand this at all I say hello then thank you to the check out person all if which I can do whilst having a phone conversation with somebody I actually want to talk To

And they say men can't multitask

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
I made the mistake of popping into Kwickfit to enquire about new tyres.I had to wait a few minutes as the fella behind the Counter was on the phone ordering something in,which was fair enough.He finished the phone call and asked me if he could help,all normal stuff so far.I said I needed new tyres for the motor and wanted some prices,he flicked his attention to the computer and began to look.All of a sudden he produced a sandwich box and took out a huge egg sandwich and began to scoff it down in front of me.All my attention turned to that egg sandwich in his mouth and the oily gloved hand holding it.
When he started to give me the prices of the most expensive tyres they had all I could see was egg and white bread turning around in his mouth.He swallowed and took another huge bite and rolled out some more prices whilst still chewing.I actually felt quite sick at this point i left,leving him to finish his lunch in peace.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23158579

This is what gets me - people with no shame and feel so offended they make it into "you can't tell me what to do, I have MY rights" type national story....AND STILL DON'T GET FACT THEY WERE IN THE WRONG!! The silly cow really ought to have said sorry, realised it WAS extremely rude and continued her call after leaving the shop. Or is she so important she had to continue her conversation? What is wrong with these people?! What example are they setting to kids? And then to cap it all, Sainsburys pathetically apologise and even offer compensation - as if this shoppers hissey fit switch to Waitrose is going to dent their fortunes. wouldn't it have been great if they said "yep, if our member of staff thought it might delay other customers then we stand by their local decision". Instead I bet poor sod gets a ticking off.

Grrrrrr :wink:

Sorry, can't agree. If I get an important call whilst I'm at a checkout, im going to take it. When was the last time you felt the need to converse with a checkout operator?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What a load of crap, the checkout person is paid to checkout the items and take payment not make idle chit chat.

the checkout person is also trained to ask if you want some extra bags,need help with your packing and do you have a loyalty card? They also ask you if you are collecting specific vouchers,tell you how much you have saved on your shop and depending what store you are in will ask if you want a charity voucher and tell you that you have a coupon for x pence off your petrol.

I suspect doing all that and getting any significant response from some rude bint using her phone is not the easiest task.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The check-out person is a human being and as such deserves as much respect as anyone.
Get of your high horse they are getting paid for doing a job, In my business people call me at all hours and I will be taking that call regardless if I'm buying my weekly shopping you can still offer a polite smile if your on the phone.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Talking about manners and courtesy, has anyone noticed how many cyclists are riding on the pavements of late without any consideration for the poor pedestrian out exercising their bipedal rods? I happened to be walking down a pavement the other day when a lad who was probably around 16 was cycling as quickly as possible upwards and very nearly knocked an elderly pensioner who was in front of me on the floor. I asked him in a polite and friendly way to get off the pavement and urged him to be more careful in future but his response was to tell me to F**K O** n the loudest terms and to threaten me with violence; and he showed no consideration whatsoever for the pensioner, or the possible consequences of his actions. It was almost as if he owned the pavement and pedestrians were simply an irritant. The selfishness of some people is amazing. At other times, whilst out walking the dog, or with my wife, I've stood aside for other people to pass me and nine times out of ten they walk past without so much as a word, almost as if your actions were expected. Children and women with buggies are the worst of all. Call me old fashioned, but I find the lack of common courtesy, civility and general levels of ignorance that exist nowadays appalling. Good manners and a thank you from time to time cost nothing.

So naturally my sympathies are with the checkout girl. :smile:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i wonder what the customer Jo Clarke would have thought if during the whole check out process the sainsburys employee had been talking on the phone?

Or to use an example that I've encountered - was constantly talking to the till operator opposite as if the customer didn't exist ?

Politeness and manners go both ways and sadly there are too many ignorant people nowadays who don't give a toss.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I feel sorry for the people held up in the queue.

Can't believe the manners of some of you lot.

Fair play to the checkout girl for refusing service till the idiot was off the phone. I'd do exactly the same in the bar I run. I feel the same about people who approach the check out in headphones without even taking them off while they're being served. How ****ing rude do people want to be these days? How hard is it to show a little courtesy to the person who is serving you?

Both of these.
It's basic common politeness not be listening to music or on the phone when you're being served by someone.
And they are always the one's being painfully slow at packing or just moving around the supermarket.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sorry, can't agree. If I get an important call whilst I'm at a checkout, im going to take it. When was the last time you felt the need to converse with a checkout operator?

Without even an 'excuse me', poor show old man.
Wasn't it the English who gave the world good manners and a sense of decency, how things have changed.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Can't believe the manners of some of you lot.

Fair play to the checkout girl for refusing service till the idiot was off the phone. I'd do exactly the same in the bar I run. I feel the same about people who approach the check out in headphones without even taking them off while they're being served. How ****ing rude do people want to be these days? How hard is it to show a little courtesy to the person who is serving you?

I'm guilty here, mainly because I'm a disorganised idiot who goes into my local Co-op for one item and gets to the checkout with armfuls of stuff, having neglected to go back and pick up a basket (and anyone who uses the Co-op on Dyke Road north of Seven Dials knows that's almost a physical impossibility anyway). Trying not to drop anything while simultaneously reaching for cash and loyalty card puts removing headphones and stuffing them in a pocket somewhere fairly low down the list of priorities. But I always switch the music, podcast, whatever, off - so I'm giving my full attention to the checkout operator even though it may not look like it. Then if they want to judge me by appearances, it's up to them.

Modern manners. As if we haven't all got enough to worry about.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Talking about manners and courtesy, has anyone noticed how many cyclists are riding on the pavements of late without any consideration for the poor pedestrian out exercising their bipedal rods? I happened to be walking down a pavement the other day when a lad who was probably around 16 was cycling as quickly as possible upwards and very nearly knocked an elderly pensioner who was in front of me on the floor. I asked him in a polite and friendly way to get off the pavement and urged him to be more careful in future but his response was to tell me to F**K O** n the loudest terms and to threaten me with violence; and he showed no consideration whatsoever for the pensioner, or the possible consequences of his actions. It was almost as if he owned the pavement and pedestrians were simply an irritant. The selfishness of some people is amazing. At other times, whilst out walking the dog, or with my wife, I've stood aside for other people to pass me and nine times out of ten they walk past without so much as a word, almost as if your actions were expected. Children and women with buggies are the worst of all. Call me old fashioned, but I find the lack of common courtesy, civility and general levels of ignorance that exist nowadays appalling. Good manners and a thank you from time to time cost nothing.

So naturally my sympathies are with the checkout girl. :smile:

Bike riders, not cyclists, an important distinction. Come the summer months you get all the part timers out who don't seem to see the need for riding on the road. Though let us not go down this cul-de-sac again.

It is a sad indictment of our society that so many are defending the lady on the phone. If it was an important call she could still have briefly held up her conversation to say sorry to the check out girl, and that she really had to take this call. Problem solved. Personally, I will never serve anyone if they are on the phone, admittedly a bar environment is a bit different from a supermarket but the point holds. If you cannot give your purchase your undivided attention why should I?

As for the Sainsbury's giving the lady a voucher, that is also the way of things these days too. We have reached a point where everyone wants compensation for even the slightest thing and complaints departments are there to cave in to these demands no matter what.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I first encountered this a few years ago at my local bank. The woman in front of me was having a loud inane conversation on her mobile about nothing, when she got to the cashier she just put a wad of bills and cheques and cash in to the hopper and said nothing, the cashier waited for a few moments and as no instructions were forthcoming picked out all the bits and tried to figure out what was required.
Eventually all the cash was placed in the drawer and various bits of paper stamped and returned to the hopper with a friendly " Is there anything else I can do for you today madam ? "

Needless to say there was not the slightest hint of acknowledgement from the woman on the phone, she just pulled out all the receipts and walked out still talking.

Unfortunately,the customer is king even though they can be rude, ignorant, selfish or arrogant. Supermarkets have plenty of rules which are routinely ignored by a section of the public. How about the " do not put your kids in the trolleys " rule for one ? routinely ignored, in fact I saw a woman once going around a supermarket with two trolleys, one for her shopping and one for her two brats jumping up and down using it as a mobile playpen.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i go into shops while they 'serve you' while on a mobile with barely an acknowledgement on a daily basis. never seen it in sainsburys.

either way its terrible behaviour. I cant believe some of the responses on here, really depressing, what a bleak worldview to think if someones getting paid you can treat them like shit.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
if I don't want to talk to you, I don't have to

If I get an important call whilst I'm at a checkout, im going to take it.

the common theme with all those supporting the womans right to be rude, is the number of "I"s in their posts. Tells you so much.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
if I don't want to talk to you, I don't have to

If I get an important call whilst I'm at a checkout, im going to take it.

the common theme with all those supporting the womans right to be rude, is the number of "I"s in their posts. Tells you so much.

There's no I in team but there's laughter in manslaughter. Thought-provoking stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports