Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spineless Sainsburys and all that is wrong in today's society!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Which is why you sir, are an arse, and will forever remain an arse.

I'm happy if it make's you feel superior to think that, I won't be worrying about it so everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Courtesy, manners and respect; clearly missing from the vocabulary and behaviour of a number of posters including you.

Missing the point. We're talking about someone just trying to go about their day in a faceless and souless establishment, she was one out of hundreds of people who were served by that operator and if she wishes to spend their time talking about make-up or what she saw on telly last night she deserves to be left in peace to do it. It's about personal choice.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The only rude part of the story for me is where someone demands you end your (potentially important) conversation so that they can have a natter, and holding up a queue of people behind you until you comply.

Funny how in all likelihood most people in the queue behind would probably cheer the cashier. Anyway, not sure where you get the idea they wanted a natter - just to ask a few questions and show common courtesy given you're interacting with someone in a social situation.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Er, I don't think anyone's crying. But I recognise an awful lot of people seem to think only about themselves in public situations.

So even though i (i know alot of people dont do this and do take the mick somewhat) and many others do not hold up the lines while talking on the phone, can pack quickly and efficently and give atleast a "hello", "thankyou" & "goodbye" to the cashier thats is still being 'rude' is it?
Like alot of people i want to be in and out of retail shops as quickly as possible, that means i dont want a conversation with the cashier, i want them to scan my stuff and take my money as quickly as possible, personally i dont want a conversation with them most of the time. So in that brief couple of minutes of them scanning my items and me packing i am within my right to be on the phone. AS LONG as im not delaying other people behind me with my phone call (which i dont do anyway)
I am far from glued to my mobile phone at the best of times but i really cannot not see how this is the height of rudeness.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm happy if it make's you feel superior to think that, I won't be worrying about it so everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Missing the point. We're talking about someone just trying to go about their day in a faceless and souless establishment, she was one out of hundreds of people who were served by that operator and if she wishes to spend their time talking about make-up or what she saw on telly last night she deserves to be left in peace to do it. It's about personal choice.

I don't believe that I'm missing the point however, I'm glad that my "misapprehension" appears to have moderated your response, altogether a much more civil and harmonious intercourse.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not an "unbelievable" thread is it? I've seen plenty of similar stories (its classic newspaper comments section in the next 2 days) and knew this would be good for a rant. Anyway, your points 1 and 2 are commentary. But Pt 3 shows a worrying understanding of common courtesy. pt 4 isn't relevant to this story. Nor 5. pt 6 I doubt she "lied" in some sort of evil hatched plan sort of way. She probably just assumed; and similarly that she had some level of support in her assertion.

Anyway, I just think this article is brilliantly polarising, hence why I posted given not a lot on tonight. I belong to a generation that is older than many on here and wouldn't dream of doing this in a shop let alone cry foul to a national newspaper. Younger ones are so in tune with their digital world they're often blind to the real one they actually inhabit. Possible to learn from both but think mine holds the morale high ground in this scenario.

You're right, 1 is commentary but if she did, it wouldn't really hold up the queue. Likewise 2. Not engaging in a conversation is not disregarding common courtesy. When I hold a door open for someone, I'm not expecting them to engage in conversation because of it. We don't know the nature of the phone call and neither do we know if the woman on the phone acknowledged the cashier with a nod as she approached. If she did that would . been courteous enough. Part 4 could be very relevant. Would be interesting to monitor the cashier over the course of her shift and see whether there are any occassions when she engages in conversation with another colleague rather than the customer in front of her. Chances are that if she is young then she probably does but if she is older then maybe not (ties in with your comment regarding generation of which I am probably from the same era). You are very generous to the cashier with regard to her comments regarding the rules and also the fact she had some level of support. How do you arrive at that from the report? Why would she assume something like that anyway unless it was perhaps her first day in the job!

There is too little information in the report to form a correct judgement. If I was on the phone approaching the checkouts then I would give a courteous nod to the cashier (if I didn't scan and shop) but having said that, in the past I can't recall having been on the phone at the checkout anyway. I would say that if I was in the position of the cashier, the only way I would be offended would be if the customer never acknowledge any question I asked, ie do you want help packing, do you want cashback, do you need any bags etc etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for the people held up in the queue.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Can't believe the manners of some of you lot.

Fair play to the checkout girl for refusing service till the idiot was off the phone. I'd do exactly the same in the bar I run. I feel the same about people who approach the check out in headphones without even taking them off while they're being served. How ****ing rude do people want to be these days? How hard is it to show a little courtesy to the person who is serving you?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
there are so many rude people about , the lack of general courtesy and manners is astounding.........i blame the up-bringing.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
its not just the check though is it, you'll be talking with someone or even they are talking to you, phone rings they'll immediately break off to answer it. i'd say most people do this, quite automatically, giving precedence to the phone over a person in front of them. quite odd.

I prefer to let the phone go, then ring back once I've finished my in-person conversation. Just as I would if the caller had tapped me on the shoulder.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
This isn't about RIGHTS or ENTITLEMENTS. Or what you CAN DO IF YOU WANT.

It's about MANNERS and COURTESY. This is lost on a lot of people now.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Going back to the original story - Sainsbury's said in a statement to the BBC: "We have apologised to Ms Clarke. It isn't our policy to not serve customers who are using a mobile."

Ms Clarke said: "I ended my call swiftly and said to the lady on the checkout 'Apologies, I didn't realise that it was Sainsbury's policy that you are unable to use your phone at the checkout', and she said 'Well, you learn something new every day'."

Although we aren't told all the details, both parties are surely in the wrong to some extent. Ms Clarke was rude in ignoring the woman on the checkout (if she did - as has been pointed out, we aren't told if she acknowledged her with a nod or anything) and again in apologising sarcastically. The assistant effectively lied to the customer by implying, incorrectly, that it is Sainsbury's policy not to serve customers who are on mobile phones. The assistant also potentially delayed other customers in the queue by not checking the customer's purchases through.

Oh, and Sainsbury's split an infinitive in their statement, which some will no doubt consider the worst transgression of the lot.

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
How? I'm not going to hang up on a friend to make small talk with someone I don't know.

Small talk? You have to put your phone away in order to pack your bags and pay your bill. And you have to do it as fast as possible if there is a queue behind you. No, the customer is wrong with this one. Utterly rude and selfish.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I would always greet someone and say thank you whether I'm on the phone or not. This can be done without ending the phone call though.

You just don't get it do you and sadly I don't think you ever will.
This obsession with mobile phones is getting ridiculous.
I drive a van most of the time and sit quite high up and the number of people who are texting whilst they drive is alarming.
Yesterday, I left a gap for a woman to get into the flow of traffic, whilst the lights were red and I must of sat there for 2 1/2 mins, she was so busy with her phone she did not even notice.
Didn't even bother to look up to see why the drivers behind her were tooting their horns.
Mobile phones and internet addiction exact a heavy toll on society.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Absolutely right. Yes of course you CAN continue your call, keep your headphones in, play your music loudly, not hold doors open for people etc but it makes you rude and discourteous. In this instance I think both parties were in the wrong but ultimately the customer was blatantly rude and deserved what she got.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Overall you are dumb and a bit precious over something that is nothing.

I think you will find that 'manners cost nothing', you could learn something from that.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bad manners in shops happens all the time and over here it would seem that the staff just don't give a s**t as they will get paid anyway.
If I am being served at a counter and the phone rings behind the counter and the attendant answers without excusing themselves first, I just leave.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

This. What did these people do before mobile phones?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I imagine the customer is the sort who clicks her fingers to call over waiters in Pizza Expresses, perhaps then pointing at her meat feast choice without any mention of pleases, so busy in her personal life she is that someone of so low a social grade is clearly unworthy of even an ounce of communicative respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here