Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spineless Sainsburys and all that is wrong in today's society!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Out of interest, what do you do for a living? Does it involve interaction with members of the public? How would you feel if you were trying to do your job, but the other party could not even be bothered to hang up from there call? What sort of impression would you form of that person?

I'd think they're a right c***! I believe such types frequent discussion boards too ;)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the customer has any manners and apologises for being on their mobile , the shopping is scanned and packed. If they make no attempt to acknowledge the fact they are being rude by carrying on a conversation on their mobile ("networking" or retelling sexual exploits of the night before) the shopping remains on the conveyor belt until the call is finished so they are able to pack their own shopping.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its not just the check though is it, you'll be talking with someone or even they are talking to you, phone rings they'll immediately break off to answer it. i'd say most people do this, quite automatically, giving precedence to the phone over a person in front of them. quite odd.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When I heard this this morning I had every sympathy with the check out girl.

Stupid rude woman. If I've been in that situation I always make a point of apologising about talking on the phone whilst they are trying to help me.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Out of interest, what do you do for a living? Does it involve interaction with members of the public? How would you feel if you were trying to do your job, but the other party could not even be bothered to hang up from there call? What sort of impression would you form of that person?

I have worked on a till and tolerated far ruder things than someone on a phone before. I didn't care that they were on their phone because they were there to buy groceries, not talk to strangers. My job was to sell people things, I don't know anything about this person (who is a customer), I don't know if he's on the phone to a friend or their boss or a dying relative, because it was none of my business. I have no right to demand they talk to me.

Can't believe people are actually shocked.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When I heard this this morning I had every sympathy with the check out girl.

Stupid rude woman. If I've been in that situation I always make a point of apologising about talking on the phone whilst they are trying to help me.

The problem in the retail industry is that these people complain to head offices who in turn always side with the customer and it ends up with them being given a gift voucher or cash because they have been upset.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If the customer has any manners and apologises for being on their mobile , the shopping is scanned and packed. If they make no attempt to acknowledge the fact they are being rude by carrying on a conversation on their mobile ("networking" or retelling sexual exploits of the night before) the shopping remains on the conveyor belt until the call is finished so they are able to pack their own shopping.

summed up perfectly

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It makes you wonder how people managed to exist in pre mobile phone days. It must have been a very primitive lifestyle.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It does say a lot for our society and our taking for granted of technology that people now simply do not seem willing to tolerate not using/not being able to use their phone/wi-fi any time, any place, anywhere and cannot wait 2 minutes to hold a conversation over the phone. The customer's response is also typical of knowing how to manipulate authority into getting your own way on something, even you have been in the wrong yourself.

Give it 5-10 years though and I dare say this type of incident won't happen. Not because supermarkets ban phone usage from the checkout area, but because there will be no checkout operators left, everything will be self-service.

Aug 23, 2011
I have worked on a till and tolerated far ruder things than someone on a phone before. I didn't care that they were on their phone because they were there to buy groceries, not talk to strangers. My job was to sell people things, I don't know anything about this person (who is a customer), I don't know if he's on the phone to a friend or their boss or a dying relative, because it was none of my business. I have no right to demand they talk to me.

Just because you tolerated rudeness doesn't make it right. You don't have to talk to the server however it is polite to acknowledge them and thank them even if they are being paid to do so. It's called manners.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Just because you tolerated rudeness doesn't make it right. You don't have to talk to the server however it is polite to acknowledge them and thank them even if they are being paid to do so. It's called manners.

I would always greet someone and say thank you whether I'm on the phone or not. This can be done without ending the phone call though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Give it 5-10 years though and I dare say this type of incident won't happen. Not because supermarkets ban phone usage from the checkout area, but because there will be no checkout operators left, everything will be self-service.

There's always at least one chap rushing around at self-service enabling the machine with his high-security pass to accept that something too light to weigh is actually in the packing area, or explaining how these machines work from the start to some backward bloater who has a stacked-high trolley to very slowly and confusedly scan through to the chagrin of those who constantly roll their eyes in the ever-building queue.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unbelievable thread.

1. Where does it say she didn't pack her own bags. Many people will cradle the phone on their shoulder whilst doing other things.
2. Many shops offer to pack your bags for you anyway.
3. The check out girl is not there to engage in conversation. If the women arrived at the checkout on the phone then so what.
4. Plenty of checkout employees are happy to engage in conversation with their colleague at the next checkout. Perhaps we should all complain about that.
5. It's a bloody supermarket, not a social centre.
6. The check out girl lied about company policy.

I'm not mad about mobiles but I don't think this is a case to highlight. What is worse is when people sit on a train on the phone and think everyone else deserves to hear their conversation or when you're out and people spend ages texting (I hasten to add that none of my friends are like that but you see plenty in pubs and clubs that do).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's always at least one chap rushing around at self-service enabling the machine with his high-security pass to accept that something too light to weigh is actually in the packing area, or explaining how these machines work from the start to some backward bloater who has a stacked-high trolley to very slowly and confusedly scan through to the chagrin of those who constantly roll their eyes in the ever-building queue.

To be honest, I always scan and shop anyway so can do a whole shop without having to speak to anyone!!!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

You don't have a right to make someone talk to you and thankfully there are no rules on that matter, but one would like to think that common courtesy is alive and well. Although I reckon it is on life support.

A bit daft of the checkout girl to do what she did, but it raises an important issue. A very spineless response from Sainsburys with their cheap voucher offer. Papering over the bigger picture.

I'm not demanding that small talk should take place, but manners cost nothing.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I hate rude customers! Especially when they are on mobile phones, when you are trying to serve them. If i turned to my colleague and started to talk to them while serving said customer they would soon get pissed off with me.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
both sides are in the wrong.

Yes, it could be said that she could have waited until after the transaction, or inished the call before going to the till but at the same time, the checkout lady was bang out of order by claiming company policy for something that's not a policy at all.

Any 'bag packing' argument is essentially irrelevent; if the colleague was doing their job properly then they would ask if they needed help packing their bags (that IS policy) and they had no idea how important or quick/long the call was, so should have got on with the transaction.

Yes, i'm a Sainsbury's employee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here