Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speculate to accumulate

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Referee87 said:
A striker I thought we had a bloody good one in the name of TONY ROUGIER. he didnt score but he was strong and held the ball up well, he was a bit like emile heskey (if thats ever a comparison !!) because he was so strong but he's now at bristol city.

I think everyone should just give Stinky Kat a break, the poor guys giving his opnion which is what this board is all about.

and we are only here for one reason eh ? BHAFC forever:clap2:
A good call. Rougier has done a good job at this level.

If the Alive & Kicking Fund does well there is more chance of the Board spending on players.

IMHO the team will improve if Oatway is kept on the sub's bench.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The time to speculate to accumulate was two years ago when we were last in this division. In a season where we had a summer without a manager, appointed Hinshelwood, lost out on Sidwell, paid for Kitson to sit on a treatment table and Butters to be in the reserves and ultimately lost our place. This resulted in lack of interest the following season and lost revenue too.

It's gone way beyond that now

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
munster monch said:
The time to speculate to accumulate was two years ago when we were last in this division. In a season where we had a summer without a manager, appointed Hinshelwood, lost out on Sidwell, paid for Kitson to sit on a treatment table and Butters to be in the reserves and ultimately lost our place. This resulted in lack of interest the following season and lost revenue too.

Yes and last time we got relegated and ended up losing Coppell. Lets hope we have learnt our lesson but i doubt it.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
munster monch said:

The board dont agree with you - do it on the cheap and see if we can get away with it - last time we didnt as Hinch wasnt up to it and Coppell was appointed too late
A better start this time but will it be enough - MM is doing a great job but we need someone to score some goals - now !

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
The Auditor said:
The board dont agree with you - do it on the cheap and see if we can get away with it - last time we didnt as Hinch wasnt up to it and Coppell was appointed too late
A better start this time but will it be enough - MM is doing a great job but we need someone to score some goals - now !

But we have Virgs. So we can get away with it again.............can't we? My worry is will this approach be enough to encourage MM to sign a new contract when his expeires.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO Virgo has outlived his usefulness as an emergency striker. Other clubs are now used to him and do not worry aboput him much. The only answer is one on loan but we come back to NO MONEY.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
BensGrandad said:
IMHO Virgo has outlived his usefulness as an emergency striker. Other clubs are now used to him and do not worry aboput him much. The only answer is one on loan but we come back to NO MONEY.

I appreciate No Money and that the financial security of the club is paramount but in simple terms no goals = no points = relegation. Is that the boards plan?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Auditor said:
I appreciate No Money and that the financial security of the club is paramount but in simple terms no goals = no points = relegation. Is that the boards plan?
I don't think it's a 'plan' as such but if it happens it happens - it won't be the end of the world the same as it wasn't the end of the world last time.

Better that than go deeper into debt and for what? We'll struggle along finishing 4/5th from bottom every year until eventually the accumulated debt will finish the club.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Brovian said:
I don't think it's a 'plan' as such but if it happens it happens - it won't be the end of the world the same as it wasn't the end of the world last time.

Better that than go deeper into debt and for what? We'll struggle along finishing 4/5th from bottom every year until eventually the accumulated debt will finish the club.

A better quality of football until falmer comes along? if we go down it will not be guaranteed we will return in the short to medium term

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Auditor said:

That may not be the plan that is shown to the public but could well be part of a hidden agenda.

If MM got us promoted again next season that would look good on DKs CV and all those with misted eyes could add that to their postings of how DK got us 3 promotions etc but forget the relegations.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
That may not be the plan that is shown to the public but could well be part of a hidden agenda.

If MM got us promoted again next season that would look good on DKs CV and all those with misted eyes could add that to their postings of how DK got us 3 promotions etc but forget the relegations.

I hate this where you put guarded comments about Knight on here. If you have something to say that is true say it, but please stop giving this impression that I know something that you do not, as it is getting board. You constantly insinuate that Knight has some sinister plan to screw this club, but cannot prove it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Auditor said:
A better quality of football until falmer comes along? ...
Fair point, but just lashing out on a striker may not achieve it. We could end up with a Benito Carbone figure who costs us far more than we can afford and then doesn't deliver - and then wants his contract paying up before he'll disappear. We'll end up with the worst of both worlds, deeper in debt AND relegated.

I suppose in this respect I'm just more conservative than some. Relegation is the least of my worries for the club at the moment.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Brovian said:
Fair point, but just lashing out on a striker may not achieve it. We could end up with a Benito Carbone figure who costs us far more than we can afford and then doesn't deliver - and then wants his contract paying up before he'll disappear. We'll end up with the worst of both worlds, deeper in debt AND relegated.

I suppose in this respect I'm just more conservative than some. Relegation is the least of my worries for the club at the moment.

different sides of the fence - at least we agree not to agree
yes we do need to avoid a Carbone situation but hopefully the solution to our goal scoring problem wouldnt invole that level of salary

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
BensGrandad said:

Back to your old tricks again I see BG. Knight has a 'hidden agenda' that you've heard whispers about but can't possibly say on here.

In another post you were having a dig at people who 'blindly praise' him. Have you ever sat back and considered what he's done? Leaving aside saving us from Archer and Bellotti, bringing the club back to Brighton, dealing with a shitty ground, processing a hideous planning application and constantly finding brilliant managers we are playing at a level that we barely achieved even when we DID have out own home.

I'm not asking you to have his lovechild but you could acknowledge that he is by some distance the greatest chairman we've ever had. However you won't as this doesn't fit YOUR 'hidden agenda'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uncle Buck said:
I hate this where you put guarded comments about Knight on here. If you have something to say that is true say it, but please stop giving this impression that I know something that you do not, as it is getting board. You constantly insinuate that Knight has some sinister plan to screw this club, but cannot prove it.

I am not for one minute suggesting that DK is 'trying to screw' the club.

What I am saying is that, as I said some years ago, he has the money to be Chairman of Worthing or Bognor but not a football league club. Whether he wants to keep us in the Championship is irrelevant because he doesn't have the money, an inflated self ego but no money. The only answer that his supporters can give is he got us 3 promotions etc. The manager and team got us promoted not him. But he, by his lack of cash, will contribute towards us getting relegated AGAIN.

Eventually he will be forced to sell the club and I do not for one minute believe that he would expect to sell it at a loss. In the meantime the supporters are asked to bail him out of his financial problems. Granted they are not all of his making i.e the delays on the Falmer decision. If you or I went to the bank manager for a loan to cover this they would probably give you one then the next time say sorry you should have planned for this.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
What I am saying is that, as I said some years ago, he has the money to be Chairman of Worthing or Bognor but not a football league club. Whether he wants to keep us in the Championship is irrelevant because he doesn't have the money, an inflated self ego but no money .

I almost hope that he takes legal action against you over comments like this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Legal action for what?

You have asked me what I have against him and I have said IMHO he does not have sufficient money to take us forward any further. It was reported that he was worth about £5m. If this is true it is hardly enough personal wealth to 'prop up' a football league club as I have said sufficient for a senior non league club Hopefully he will get permission for Falmer and then move on and let somebody, and dont start all this who business again, with money take us on the next stage.

A lot of people have attempted to taklke over clubs and found that though they may be wealthy in everyday terms they do not have sufficient to keep a football league club afloat. This is of no detriment to anybody just a realistion of the costs involved in pursuing the dream of owning a football club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am getting 'nagged' by her that has to be obeyed to get ready to go out as we have an appointment but I will return later if anybody wishers to discuss this further in a rational manner.

Just a thought before I go, from my pub days, people who say that you need to speculate to accumulate are usually only suggesting this with your money not their own what if you do not have the money or if this speculation fails. Possibly arguing against myself but........

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
BensGrandad said:
....IMHO he does not have sufficient money to take us forward any further. It was reported that he was worth about £5m. If this is true it is hardly enough personal wealth to 'prop up' a football league club as I have said sufficient for a senior non league club Hopefully he will get permission for Falmer and then move on and let somebody, and dont start all this who business again, with money take us on the next stage.

A lot of people have attempted to taklke over clubs and found that though they may be wealthy in everyday terms they do not have sufficient to keep a football league club afloat. This is of no detriment to anybody just a realistion of the costs involved in pursuing the dream of owning a football club.

You see when you put it like that I broadly agree with you. You are quite correct that nowadays very very few individuals have the private wealth required to invest properly in a football club. Steven Purdew is a classic example of someone who a ten years or so ago may have made a telling contribution, now the idea of someone like that 'owning' a club is laughable.

Where we part company is when you say that DK has this 'hidden agenda' and those of us who don't realise it are gullible fools.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here