Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speculate to accumulate

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Buck said:
He is Under 24 so we are entilted to some cash for him.

I suspect he is going in January, the rumour mill after the Leeds game was his agent has told him not to sign the contract, we had turned down a bid from Cardiff and are waiting for the transfer window to open to see what Everton are going to offer.

any idea what cardiff offered?

Saint Lennard said:
Lokki7 oh football guru, isn't Harding u21 and therefore means we will get something for him. They may not be willing to pay but will have to...... Now there's the real world.

Ahh... the real world! Where I presume premiership managers keen on a player from the lower divisions get scouting before they shell out. Hmm... me thinks Everton have not seen DH play yet, and when they do...
If you were manager of Everton, how much would you pay for him (either by fee or compensation)?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Auditor said:
any idea what cardiff offered?

As I say it was all rumour, but the figure bounded was between 200 and 300k. I have to say believe it when I see it. What will interest me with Harding is if he does go to a better team, will he look more comfortable with better players around him. I saw him play for the U21's in Baku and he looked OK, Callum Davenport was talking to him, telling him where to be etc. I sometimes think Cullip's screaming at players and blaming others when he makes a mistake, does more harm than good.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Harding is a good young player who will improve... why is everyone so keen to offload him?... if he goes, the money will disappear into the Falmer black hole anyway... we won't see a penny for squad strengthening, i.e. the much-needed striker will not materialise...

Best we just bring someone in on loan from a Prem club, or look to the lower leagues...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
b.w.2. said:
Harding is a good young player who will improve... why is everyone so keen to offload him?... if he goes, the money will disappear into the Falmer black hole anyway... we won't see a penny for squad strengthening, i.e. the much-needed striker will not materialise...

Best we just bring someone in on loan from a Prem club, or look to the lower leagues...

Harding reminds me of Kevin McGarrigle, highly rated, clubs higher up looking at him, but the Albion did not sell. In the end he did not make it and dissapeared. I think with Harding he is talked up as he has a left foot and we should sell. Even if it is to keep the club going.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
b.w.2. said:
, the money will disappear into the Falmer black hole anyway... we won't see a penny for squad strengthening, i.e. the much-needed striker will not materialise...

I know you are right but feel its would be appropriate for the board to consider the release funds into the playing side especially when the funds are generated from the playing squad

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
b.w.2. said:
if he goes, the money will disappear into the Falmer black hole anyway... we won't see a penny for squad strengthening, i.e. the much-needed striker will not materialise...

Welcome to Brighton and Hove Albion.... and how long were you in a coma. Oh and now you're awake have you got any spare cash to put in this bucket!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Auditor said:
I know you are right but feel its would be appropriate for the board to consider the release funds into the playing side especially when the funds are generated from the playing squad

You are not serious are you? Do you really expect Dk to put up money to keep the team in this division when all around him are sending out begging bowls. If we get relegated and MM takes us back up next season that is another promtion on DKs CV and another chance to promote himself on the pitch. More reason for those that are blind to praise him.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
No one has put in any bid for Dan Harding and I do not expect anyone will yet.

We are not going to get any money for our players. We wouldn't even be able to release the likes of Jones without paying them up.

Any lower league player capable of playing at this level will cost big money and any Premiership player will be on high wages that the club may not want to pay for us.

In any case there just aren't players around. Ian Holloway is having the same trouble trying to find a striker for QPR.

We need to stay in this division. We are not struggling. We don't really need to invest in the team. We have to accept that we are not going to win very many games.

So long as we win enough to stay up until we get the yes for Falmer everything will be fine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that there will be some players available after the Janmuary deadline as they then know that they will not get into their respective premiership teams and will move to top Championship teams pushing their strikers one further rung down the ladder. But will we be able to afford them then?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I think in January we will have a better idea as to whether we need to spend to stay up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If Harding is sold it will pay the Capital Gains bill for the inland revenue.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
What about the VAT that is alleged to be still outstanding

What VAT we only owe on the sale of the Goldstone

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
I am sure that I was told by somebody from the club that we owed over £200k for VAT. Perhaps I have heard it wrong or misunderstood it.

I think you will fing it is a £360K capital gains bill for the sale of the Goldstone ground.

However refundable when Falmer gets the green light.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
A striker I thought we had a bloody good one in the name of TONY ROUGIER. he didnt score but he was strong and held the ball up well, he was a bit like emile heskey (if thats ever a comparison !!) because he was so strong but he's now at bristol city.

I think everyone should just give Stinky Kat a break, the poor guys giving his opnion which is what this board is all about.

and we are only here for one reason eh ? BHAFC forever:clap2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
Possibly!!!!

Only quoting what our honourable chairman told me on the train to Sunderland

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who am I to disagree he would know about Inland Revenue debts and VAT debts more than me so I must been mixed up over these figures if the Capital Gains Tax is the only outstanding large debt due.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here