Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Spanish Day"....oh....you're actually serious?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not like NSC to have a massive knee jerk over reaction over something trivial.

If you don't like Spanish day, don't go dressed as Salvador Dali.
But some people might like the idea, as a bit of fun to enjoy the day still further.

I don't think the club are attempting to side with General Franco or ETA.
I doubt they are doing this without OG's blessing.

Personally it's not for me, as outward displays of fun rarely are, but I don't see why everyone should be getting so titsy over it.

Did everyone secretly hope that last season The Arsenal steamed through the North Stand 'like the good old days'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine the dress code will exclude 1901ers from this bit of fun?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
It's not like NSC to have a massive knee jerk over reaction over something trivial.

But some people might like the idea, as a bit of fun to enjoy the day still further.

Personally it's not for me, as outward displays of fun rarely are, but I don't see why everyone should be getting so titsy over it.

Did everyone secretly hope that last season The Arsenal steamed through the North Stand 'like the good old days'?

Well said. I don't understand what all the fuss is about; it's just a harmless bit of fun and I'm happy to enter into the spirit of it!:cheery:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This is the point I was clumsily trying to make. The fans think it up, such as at Barnsley last season, and it's a bit of a laugh in honour of a player. Ok, I know the last game of the season, it's ok to go in fancy dress.
The club suggest it, and some fans are getting sniffy about it. If you don't want to do it, it's not compulsory.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This is hilarious.....the great and the good of this forum regularly post the very granular detail of their lives, opinions and experiences for all to see. Such infamous topics as dumping or pissing in the shower, wannking techniques, who you would or wouldn't shag.....etc etc......and now they stand insulted and embarrassed at the very mention of taking a Spanish flag, wearing a Spanish coloured T-shirt or a Spanish hat of some sort........amazing bunch of self righteous berks.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys

HMMN..... really?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
What a lot of bulls**t - sorry I meant bullfight. Is that allowed ? Very weird idea indeed .Will all the tannoy announcements be in Spanish ? Hope so . Will there be stalls knocking out Manchego and sherry outside ? Will Spanish Dave sing at half time with Calderon on the violin ?Will all the staff be Spanish students who can't find work in Spain - well possibly . gawd help us . Is this an idea Paul Barber had on his holidays ..?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is the point I was clumsily trying to make. The fans think it up, such as at Barnsley last season, and it's a bit of a laugh in honour of a player. Ok, I know the last game of the season, it's ok to go in fancy dress.
The club suggest it, and some fans are getting sniffy about it. If you don't want to do it, it's not compulsory.

There's just somthing that's entirely lame about doing what some wa*ker from the promotions team thought up from behind his desk at work, expecting everyone to join in out of a sycophantic desire to please the club and do whatever it says.
Fancy dress on the last day of the season is an english football tradition. Just picking an arbitrary game in the first month of the season doesn't cut it. It's just so "new football".

It's a marketing ploy to get more bums on seats - which won't work unless a large amount of Spanish students fall for it.

Wave a Spanish flag ? have you forgotten Gibraltar!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Normal NSCer: Oh my GOD, I can't believe the club is attempting to promote a SPANISH DAY. How lame is that?

Tiresome happy-clapper type: If you don't like it, don't do it.

Everybody else: Well OBVIOUSLY. Would you rather there was no thread on it at all? It is afterall, something that has come from the club.

And yes, it is quite clearly a shìt idea for at least two good reasons, both of which have been talked about on this thread.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
This is proper cringe worthy. How does a game against Bolton have anything to do with Spain and as mentioned we dont really have any Spanish players.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There's just somthing that's entirely lame about doing what some wa*ker from the promotions team thought up from behind his desk at work, expecting everyone to join in out of a sycophantic desire to please the club and do whatever it says.
Fancy dress on the last day of the season is an english football tradition. Just picking an arbitrary game in the first month of the season doesn't cut it. It's just so "new football".

It's just a bit of fun to brighten up a game against Bolton, what a load of sanctimonious crap. There seems to be a desire on this board to actively rail against anything that the club does these days. if you are so thin skinned that you get upset about 'Spanish Day' I really pity you.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wave a Spanish flag ? have you forgotten Gibraltar!
The thing is, I'm not sure how bothered the average Spaniard is about the Gibraltan question. Many might have a view on it that opposes our own, but that's always going to be the case when it comes to international politics.

Last month's nonsense was entirely motivated by a feeble government keen to deflect from it's own personal failings.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Titsy is such an underused word. Especially on NSC where there is so much titsiness.

And if the club is serving up jamon iberico and Fino then I'm all for it. But I still think its tinpot.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's just a bit of fun to brighten up a game against Bolton, what a load of sanctimonious crap. There seems to be a desire on this board to actively rail against anything that the club does these days. if you are so thin skinned that you get upset about 'Spanish Day' I really pity you.
He's not getting upset about it, is he? He's just pointing out that it is a proper shìt idea that oozes plastic marketing gimmickry. Which it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At what point did I say that was the reason.

You said it probably has OG's blessing. It bet it doesn't.
But what does it matter?

I don't get why any of this matters.

Reading the bile and vitriol on here I half expect there to be a lynch mob at the station ready to duff up anyone wearing espadrilles.

Yes it's a crap idea, dreamed up by a desk bound Rodney, but why do the agenda police think it's worth it.
If you don't like it don't do it and the club won't do it again.

But people will do it, people will enjoy it. Stat Club Juniors would be all over this if I was stupid enough to tell them.
It is 'new football', deal with it or don't go.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
But what does it matter?

I don't get why any of this matters.
I
Reading the bile and vitriol on here I half expect there to be a lynch mob at the station ready to duff up anyone wearing espadrilles.

Yes it's a crap idea, dreamed up by a desk bound Rodney, but why do the agenda police think it's worth it.
If you don't like it don't do it and the club won't do it again.

But people will do it, people will enjoy it. Stat Club Juniors would be all over this if I was stupid enough to tell them.
It is 'new football', deal with it or don't go.

Totally agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here