Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Dave

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Really can't get my head around this. SD says the length of contract and money wasn't an issue. So why didn't he sign it?

If it was just that he was waiting to see who the new manager was, then again why didn't he sign it? Mr Bloom was always going to come up trumps with a new guy at the helm so SD should be training with us now and looking forward to the coming season.

We will miss him but I am very confident that our midfield will be looking good come 3rd August.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
this is weird - the player wanted to sign (so why not sign the contract) especially if Oscar wanted him? He has been in charge 2/3 weeks? All very odd.

Yep, this is the part I really don't understand. If he was offered a new contract (and there must have been one there to be able to withdraw it yesterday) and he said there was no problem with the terms (as was reported today) then why didn't he just sign and return it? Even if there wasm't a paper contract then a formal response to the offer would have been sufficient to form a legally binding agreement.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
According to LinkedIn

Current

Head of Football Operations at Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club

Past

Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager at Southampton Football Club

Elite Scout (South East England and Europe) at Manchester City Football Club

Talent Identification and Recruitment Manager at Fulham FC

Senior Football Coach at ASPIRE - Academy for Sports Excellence
Assistant Academy Manager at Fulham FC

Got to say that's pretty impressive. Now get some players in.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Makes a mockery of the club saying that Poyet saga has had no knock effect on player recruitment.
Sad to see him go.

How did you figure that out? I think it's as straight forward as a contract was offered, Oscar highlighted other players he wants who play with more tempo, David took his time, contract was withdrawn. We will have other targets more fitting of our new formation/system. You can't justify keeping a player if he doesn't fit into the master plan.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
How? It looks we changed our mind on SD. Still it is a shame, as he was an excellent player and we will always have THAT free-kick. Gracias David!

However I am confident that this will not upset our plans for the season.

Because, not unreasonably, he wanted to know who would be in charge before signing.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Naylor tweet. Sensible for once.

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus
Judgement on the strength of the squad should be reserved until Sept 1, once the transfer window has closed. #bhafc

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I have to admit this is a bit if a strange situation with Spanish Dave. If he was happy with the terms of the contract we offered him, then why didn't he sign it?

I would hazard a guess that his agent wasn't going to get as much as he wanted out of it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm in the 'wait and see' camp on this.

Yes, SD turned out to be great, and a favourite of mine. But he did have a slow start, and I can remember a few people not being convinced about him (WW aside).

Sad to see him go, but players do that - and sometimes those who are 'heroes' get forgotten about quickly - Mattock for one example, as has already been pointed out.

I fully expected plenty of ins and outs this summer, even when Gus was in charge. With new management, there is always a chance that level of player turnover will be increased.

OG is no mug, and clearly knows what/who he wants, so I wouldn't be surprised with some quality additions to the squad.

I'm with Andy Naylor - let's just see how the recruitment goes over the next month or so.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It may be that SD and/or his agent now realise that our offer was pretty damn good and far better than what he will be getting elsewhere. He did well last season but has significant limitations and will not be improving at his age. They had their chance but did not take it and we now move on. It is good to hear Andy Naylor's tweet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Judgement on the strength of the squad should be reserved until Sept 1, once the transfer window has closed. #bhafc

Ish. The point is we needed to fill, say, 4 midfielder berths. We had a player VERY happy here, knows the style, knows the league and was willing to slot into one of those 4 berths. For me - unless the money he was asking for was EXTORTIONATE - it only makes sense for us to withdraw our offer if we are confident we can fill ALL 4 berths with players all of the same level as Dave AND higher. That's a REALLY tall order.

And even then, they'll still need at least half a season to bed in. Strange decision for me.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

so, we play the whole of August with a weakened squad?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If it's not money, not contract duration, it has to be perks. So, lets speculate...

-Dave wanted a pink and green limo to ferry him to training every day
-he demanded a developmental squad player to act as his concubine, on a rotational basis so he didn't get bored
-he wanted the club to buy him a tank of petrol every week
-he wanted Paul barber to I've him massages every other week
-if he scored a hat trick, the Amex had to be repainted orange and purple and renamed the Lopez locale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here