Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Dave

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love the bi-polar knee jerk reaction on situations like this.

- We have no idea what went on.
- We have no idea what/who's coming.
- We can't form a definitive opinion until everything else is done.

But that still doesn't stop this being a shocking decision, one we'll regret, and a BIG mistake.

All of which was said when Mattock went to Sheffield Wednesday.
Now though I bet 3/4ers of those reactionaries probably don't even remember he played for us.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I love the bi-polar knee jerk reaction on situations like this.

- We have no idea what went on.
- We have no idea what/who's coming.
- We can't form a definitive opinion until everything else is done.

But that still doesn't stop this being a shocking decision, one we'll regret, and a BIG mistake.

Now though I bet 3/4ers of those reactionaries probably don't even remember he played for us.

Who? Was he that guy up front aka Barndoor Billy?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think it probably means we are going to play 4-3-3 next season. I can't think of any other reason why you wouldn't want Dave around...

If that's right, expect signings to be wide players rather than like for like.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire

I absolutely loved Mattock. Always used to sign him on the football manager games! Was so happy when he played for us in real life, I felt like a proper football scout.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
According to dave in the argus article he was happy with terms of contract and felt garcia wanted him on board. With that in mind would seem an odd decision. We are very thin in midfield as it stands, 3 needed i think.

this is weird - the player wanted to sign (so why not sign the contract) especially if Oscar wanted him? He has been in charge 2/3 weeks? All very odd.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If that article is correct then I would guess we already have someone else lined up

If SD was happy with the contract why didnt he sign it once he knew Oscar wanted him?

If Oscar wanted him and he wasn't unhappy with the deal I can only ASSUME that he took too long to make his mind up and the funds have been allocated elsewhere so the contract withdrawn.

Alternatively the 'open letter' from SD is a load of crap

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
What are David Burke's footballing credentials?

I don't even know where he came from or what he did before he joined the club.

According to LinkedIn

Current

Head of Football Operations at Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club

Past

Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager at Southampton Football Club

Elite Scout (South East England and Europe) at Manchester City Football Club

Talent Identification and Recruitment Manager at Fulham FC

Senior Football Coach at ASPIRE - Academy for Sports Excellence
Assistant Academy Manager at Fulham FC

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If that article is correct then I would guess we already have someone else lined up

If SD was happy with the contract why didnt he sign it once he knew Oscar wanted him?

If Oscar wanted him and he wasn't unhappy with the deal I can only ASSUME that he took too long to make his mind up and the funds have been allocated elsewhere so the contract withdrawn.

Alternatively the 'open letter' from SD is a load of crap

The latter. Not at all convinced by reading just SD's side of things. It simply doesn't add up. If he wanted to sign, he's had AGEs to take the contract on offer. To say now that he wanted it all along and was happy with the terms is daft.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Makes a mockery of the club saying that Poyet saga has had no knock effect on player recruitment.
Sad to see him go.

How? It looks we changed our mind on SD. Still it is a shame, as he was an excellent player and we will always have THAT free-kick. Gracias David!

However I am confident that this will not upset our plans for the season.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It may be that SD took to long to sign it and subsequently we've become interested in other players, like the Sporting Gijon midfielder that we were linked to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here