• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Should go

Not sure what makes him a scumbag though?

Awful nations league, which has put us in an awkward position for World Cup qualifying

Cautious is his go to mode and weird subs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Love some of the comments on here
'Scumbag'
'Hate him'
'Didn't watch it but...'

Jesus wept

Fortunately I was in the pub last night with people who have a mentality greater than a 5 year old - all agreed we played very well and just weren't clinical enough, which is more of a shame considering we were very clinical for much of the tournament. Kane puts the second penalty away and who knows what would've happened, but france are a bloody good team and we kept their front four very quiet for much of the game. Very even game overall.

Gutted this morning but whatever happens to GS he deserves a huge amount of credit for how he's transformed the England set up since his time working in the youth set up. We've been embarrassingly bad on so many occasions in tournaments in my lifetime, even squads full of riches on paper. We certainly haven't been an embarrassment in tournaments under Southgate and his record beats all other England managers bar one
This. Parts of this thread are simply embarrassing bile written by people unable to separate club and country and yet support both. NSC is probably the only site around with this drivel on it today. Thankfully there's some sense from you and @Springal

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Why is he weak ? He’s the strongest manager consistently performing the best results at major tournaments we’ve ever had.

Can’t really see what he got wrong this tournament. Tactically we were sound, Mbappe was kept quiet, we had a few players who didn’t perform, bit unlucky on some big decisions and Kane bottled our big chance
Absolute joke to call him tactically inept when we played well and kept the incredibly strong front 4 of France very quiet for much of the game

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Why is he weak ? He’s the strongest manager consistently performing the best results at major tournaments we’ve ever had.

Can’t really see what he got wrong this tournament. Tactically we were sound, Mbappe was kept quiet, we had a few players who didn’t perform, bit unlucky on some big decisions and Kane bottled our big chance
The best results? We've gone to win the WC and failed again with a glaring opportunity in front of us. Getting KO is not success imho. Is it a success when you beat all teams you should, draw against one then lose to first top ten rival? It's consistent pattern of failing at major test in KO game. A much weakened France team didn't have best game but still won. That's the real margin.

We got to a WC semi in 2018 by virtue of drawing no big/bigger teams and drawing ones who we should beat, we lost in first 50/50 KO game and twice to Belgium. Euros we were at home and whilst beaten Germany felt great, its not the Germany of yesteryear as their failures in 2018/2022 show.

This WC we beat 3 out of 4 we should (favourites) to beat and lost the first major challenge again.

And that's the difference, the top managers find ways to win by hook or crook, Southgate, who has never been a top manager, hasnt.

I like him as a human being, no doubt he has done a lot positive in creating a bond and club spirit and he's good diplomatically, but it's about end results and in that he hasn't succeeded bar luck of the draw, he keeps picking favourites, and tactically in game he's nowhere near Potter or Smug levels in being able to change things around in game, including formations to find ways to win against bigger nations. I'm no expert but was seriously shocked to see the best player on the pitch last night, Saka, taken off when he's terrorising the French. It felt almost premeditated, rather than based on what's actually happening in game. It was an odd decision?

GS has improved much, is better than previous managers in many areas, we must stay with an Englishman but he is still tactically wanting against bigger nations, and I don't think we'll win anything major under him 😞

Stay and 2024 will be the same. Easily qualify and get KO in later rounds by an Italy, France, Spain, Netherlands for sure if not before by lesser. We have great players in England with technical abilities to win tournaments we dont have a great tactical genius in the dugout. The best barometer of the future is the past.

That said, it's hard to see past Smug or Potter as the credible alternatives to keep the team bond/culture but find ways to win at the business end against major opposition and would either leave their clubs?

Southgate it is then.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Tactically inept, he needs to go, but who will to replace him?, no idea, someone who will take some risks would be nice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The best results? We've gone to win the WC and failed again with a glaring opportunity in front of us. Getting KO is not success imho. Is it a success when you beat all teams you should, draw against one then lose to first top ten rival? It's consistent pattern of failing at major test in KO game. A much weakened France team didn't have best game but still won. That's the real margin.
you say that but we put away Germany & Denmark in the Euros. Senegal had been no slouches at this tournament either and we made them look poor. I’d say we matched if not bettered the current world champions performance but basically lacked a goal from open play (sound familiar….)

And FWIW, we all thought Saka had a really poor game yesterday so horses for courses

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tactically inept, he needs to go, but who will to replace him?, no idea, someone who will take some risks would be nice.
Yeah definitely should have played some high risk football against a France team that could counter at lightning speeds.

Going into last nights game we had the lowest goals conceded, one of the highest scoring totals - so sounds like we had the balance right. We just lacked a goal from open player in my view

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Should go

Not sure what makes him a scumbag though?

Awful nations league, which has put us in an awkward position for World Cup qualifying

Cautious is his go to mode and weird subs.
He's not a scumbag, he's a throughly decent human and proud Englishman, doing his best I'm sure......... it's just..... will his personal best ever be good enough to win a major tournament?

I hope to be wrong but dont think he can.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I don't actually care whether he goes or stays.......until I see his successor then I might have a more definitive opinion!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
This. Parts of this thread are simply embarrassing bile written by people unable to separate club and country and yet support both. NSC is probably the only site around with this drivel on it today. Thankfully there's some sense from you and @Springal[/USER
[/QUOTE]
He's not a scumbag, he's a throughly decent human and proud Englishman, doing his best I'm sure......... it's just..... will his personal best ever be good enough to win a major tournament?

I hope to be wrong but dont think he can.
How anyone can call him a scumbag is beyond me. A thoroughly decent person.

Three tournaments without bringing it home …. How many more chances do people he should have? if this was anyone else he’d already be gone.

sadly being decent human being isn’t going to win competitions.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How anyone can call him a scumbag is beyond me. A thoroughly decent person.

Three tournaments without bringing it home …. How many more chances do people he should have? if this was anyone else he’d already be gone.

sadly being decent human being isn’t going to win competitions.
Jochaim Low lost in 3 consecutive tournament semi finals with Germany , and then won the 4th tournament he took them to. By your logic he should have been sacked well before the 4th and they may never have won it

Reactions: SAC

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also Pep was bought into Man City to win the champions league , their other managers could win the PL & FA Cup regularly. He’s failed multiple times now so by the same logic, Pep out ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Shows to much faith in players, Maguire lost Giroud twice he scored once, would have Pope let that first goal in? Not to sure. Can’t see much progression from four years ago tbh. If I were an England fan I would be annoyed at the same old players making a mess of the big games. Every time they face a decent side it’s good night England.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here