[Albion] Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think that anyone is complaining about the result. There is just a frustration that, after a convincing performance in the first half, we went into our shells in the second. Letting Southampton come on to us was a risky strategy. We looked nervous, didn't find a way to retain the ball and made silly errors that allowed them to create a lot of chances. We didn't make changes to combat the ones they had made. The crossfield ball from their right to left had Lamptey in trouble several times before the goal and it was disappointing that the change happened only after they scored. In terms of a defensive wall throwing themselves in the way, like Hughton's first season in the division, this was a good point and the resilience away from home since the restart has been excellent. Its important that we can still dig out that kind of defensive performance when it is needed. It's just that after the first half, it didn't look like it should have been needed.

I agree completely and I’m very positive about how we’ve done this season. But do feel we were completely different second half and on another day could have been done 4-1. I guess it’s so hard when a team is coming at you and totally change their way of playing as Southampton did second half. It’s also hard to put in the performances against world class teams game after game. We were 10 times better than tonight v Liverpool but got nothing. It’s just football I guess.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Think today showed how much we need that Murray type upfront. Pity he was knackered after 30 minutes and we faded as a force upfront..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I remember how well we played against them earlier in the season....until Andone got sent off and ended up losing..so I’ll take a dodgy second half and get a 1/1 draw tvm

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bit old fashioned wanting the same tactics and same personnel each week. Enjoy the fact we gave Southampton a bloody nose first half with a clever 3-4-2-1, but when Saints really started to play and we had a few passengers, reverted to 4-4-2, then 5–4-1 to earn the point.

We’ll see next season what Potter is really up to with his philosophy and a few signings hopefully making it more of a team he shapes than he inherited.

6 away games undefeated is good form. I really don’t know what some fans actually want. We’ve also been playing two games a week in summer so the team has to be rotated.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Well I havent seen much of Potterball for a long time. More like Hughton but not as good. Great we are staying up but does Potter after 36 games have any idea how he wants to play or any idea what team he wants..

Posts like this really frustrate me. We played Potterball versus Liverpool and played really well but he got criticised for it. Today he played a very pragmatic game, as he has done in all of our five unbeaten away games in a row, and we ground out a vital point, again.

Criticised if he does play his way then criticised if he doesn’t.

I think he has evolved massively as a manager, he has a very clear style he wants us to play at home but has found a second way to grind out away results too.

UptheMOOYz

Nov 10, 2019
Point away at very in-form Southampton.

Beaten Arsenal and Norwich, point at Leceister and well beaten by the two best teams in the country.

Played a resurgent Man United at the wrong time.

It's been a very good post lock down. if you look at our run in. Where the points were reasonably available we got them with a bonus at Leicester.

Not sure what those complaining exactly wanted.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking. Potter was obviously looking for the draw halfway through the second half, so we basically toughed out the result. Wasn't pretty, but we got the job done!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Posts like this really frustrate me. We played Potterball versus Liverpool and played really well but he got criticised for it. Today he played a very pragmatic game, as he has done in all of our five unbeaten away games in a row, and we ground out a vital point, again.

Criticised if he does play his way then criticised if he doesn’t.

I think he has evolved massively as a manager, he has a very clear style he wants us to play at home but has found a second way to grind out away results too.

This. The possession stays show that he is adapting.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Superb point against a very good saints side in top form. Dunk and Webster magnificent this evening.

If Bissouma hadn't fluffed his lines we could have had all 3.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think the frustrating thing is that we know we can play better. Yes, against Utd, City, Liverpool is a different story but we can play better against the rest. A point away from home and the last 6 undefeated away is a great result. But, we can do better. Next season, onwards and upwards.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Think today showed how much we need that Murray type upfront. Pity he was knackered after 30 minutes and we faded as a force upfront..

i honestly don't know if we will be able to replace him. He really was a lot better than a lot of people thought/think and I am not sure we could afford to buy should someone turn up. Joe Linton and Haller at WHU were £40million plus and have done little.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I don't think that anyone is complaining about the result. There is just a frustration that, after a convincing performance in the first half, we went into our shells in the second. Letting Southampton come on to us was a risky strategy. We looked nervous, didn't find a way to retain the ball and made silly errors that allowed them to create a lot of chances. We didn't make changes to combat the ones they had made. The crossfield ball from their right to left had Lamptey in trouble several times before the goal and it was disappointing that the change happened only after they scored. In terms of a defensive wall throwing themselves in the way, like Hughton's first season in the division, this was a good point and the resilience away from home since the restart has been excellent. Its important that we can still dig out that kind of defensive performance when it is needed. It's just that after the first half, it didn't look like it should have been needed.

Or you could argue that their half time substitutions changed the game, Ralph Was clever and targeted Lamptey who was constantly out of position and clearly put a rocket up their arse. They are in very good form.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Well done GP and well done to most of the players who’ve been regularly criticised eg Ryan, Webster, Stephens. Glenn may well have been shattered by half time but he set up the goal in a typical, simple GM fashion. GP adapts his tactics to the opponents and the first half was great. Soton did overrun us in the second half and we were hanging on - BUT WE DID! A point away here was an excellent result and added to those draws at Leics, SU and Wolves shows what can be achieved when required. Hopefully we beat Newcastle on Monday and we can really celebrate staying up. Well played Albion

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Lets be honest, it was an underserved point despite the 1-0 lead at half time
This is the premier league and we are like Wycombe and Luton in the championship

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Superb point against a very good saints side in top form. Dunk and Webster magnificent this evening.

If Bissouma hadn't fluffed his lines we could have had all 3.

Completely this. Danny Ings is in exceptional form and that Saints side are brimming with confidence and playing with no pressure. Fantastic, dogged point from us when we were under immense pressure. Really hope we can get 4 more points to get the side to its best ever PL total and reward the team and management for playing some great, brave stuff throughout this mad season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Great to see Muzza start a game, genuinely thought I would never see that again.
Certainly not in partnership with Maupay away from home!
Gets a decent assist too. It felt like Christmas!.

Absolutely battered in the second half a proper Thieves like us result.

6 games unbeaten away from home against 5 top performing teams.
Mighty impressive stuff. Potter has out Hughtoned Hughton in the runin.

Happy days.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Lets be honest, it was an underserved point despite the 1-0 lead at half time
This is the premier league and we are like Wycombe and Luton in the championship

What do you expect? We’re currently in 15th with two games to go. Would you have taken that at the start of the season? Of course you would. Get used to it, it will be much the same next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports