Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So we go away to Southampton who in their last home game beat Man City and grind out a draw and people are moaning about the performance. Our fans are ridiculous.

Southampton are one of the form sides since the restart and we just got the point that almost guarantees survival and still you moan. Pathetic.

I don't think that anyone is complaining about the result. There is just a frustration that, after a convincing performance in the first half, we went into our shells in the second. Letting Southampton come on to us was a risky strategy. We looked nervous, didn't find a way to retain the ball and made silly errors that allowed them to create a lot of chances. We didn't make changes to combat the ones they had made. The crossfield ball from their right to left had Lamptey in trouble several times before the goal and it was disappointing that the change happened only after they scored. In terms of a defensive wall throwing themselves in the way, like Hughton's first season in the division, this was a good point and the resilience away from home since the restart has been excellent. Its important that we can still dig out that kind of defensive performance when it is needed. It's just that after the first half, it didn't look like it should have been needed.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Very happy with a draw after that 2nd half, nearly safe which is all that matters now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well I havent seen much of Potterball for a long time. More like Hughton but not as good. Great we are staying up but does Potter after 36 games have any idea how he wants to play or any idea what team he wants..

We’ve certainly changed our game and it’s a bit more Hughton like since lockdown but it’s a bit better and been more effective. I don’t agree with your negativity but i do agree his tinkering is a little worrying at times but other times it’s paid off and been a master stroke. I’d like to see a much more settled team next season. Maybe with some better signings there will be more Dunks who are guaranteed a start.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wounder what Maupay goal celebration was relating to ?

TY from Arsenal fan TV?!

Certainly something to do with the Arsenal game I’m sure - or Gwen-doosy...!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did notice that Brighton didn't mess around at the back from goal kicks tonight. It was a straight punt into the saints half. Maybe Potter isn't taking any more chances. Good point. We were good first 30mins but after that it was relentless pressure from saints.

I think we wanted to and tried initially, but Obafemi (with blinding pace) was a mission to disrupt it.

But it played into our hands in the first half, we pushed up and played so much of the game in their half.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We can believe we are safe. There is no real world where we now go down on goal difference.

:albion2:

As I mentioned before - 2 wins for muff or villa and 2 defeats for us would be a minimum 4 goal swing. 9 isn’t out the equation completely. But then you have Watford and West Ham still down there too and I doubt Villa and Bournemouth will be trying to thrash teams - we just can’t lose 3-0 or worse to Newcastle or it may get twitchy..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well I havent seen much of Potterball for a long time. More like Hughton but not as good. Great we are staying up but does Potter after 36 games have any idea how he wants to play or any idea what team he wants..

Bit old fashioned wanting the same tactics and same personnel each week. Enjoy the fact we gave Southampton a bloody nose first half with a clever 3-4-2-1, but when Saints really started to play and we had a few passengers, reverted to 4-4-2, then 5–4-1 to earn the point.

We’ll see next season what Potter is really up to with his philosophy and a few signings hopefully making it more of a team he shapes than he inherited.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

I think if you're playing in the prem you need more than 1 or 2 moments of prem quality. We are not moving forward with Gross in the team.

You could use that argument on all of the midfield.
How many goals have they scored/assists collectively in 3 years?

Then check Gross’s stats, bet it’s close....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I think if you're playing in the prem you need more than 1 or 2 moments of prem quality. We are not moving forward with Gross in the team.

I agree that gross has gone from 1st choice number 10 to squad player.

But I disagree that 1-2 moments of quality per game is not good enough. The majority of games are settled by 1-2 moments of quality.

If we produced 5-10 moments of quality per game we would be in the top 8.

Gross has done his bit and contributed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here