Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Very good to see Webster adapting to the Premier League

He is an intelligent footballer who can pass well with both feet but did the ugly stuff yesterday

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If you listen carefully, you can hear Chris Sutton crying in the distance. Tosser.

How he gave MoM to Ings, I’ll never know. Yes he scored but did nothing whatsoever the 1st half. And he hit the post, that’s not a goal Chris.....

To give it to a striker in a 1-1 home draw against a team below you in the table makes no sense. Webster all day for me in that game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I dont think it any coincidence that Soton have been playing welll since being safe ,pressure has a lot to do with performances.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
How he gave MoM to Ings, I’ll never know. Yes he scored but did nothing whatsoever the 1st half. And he hit the post, that’s not a goal Chris.....

To give it to a striker in a 1-1 home draw against a team below you in the table makes no sense. Webster all day for me in that game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was ludicrous, felt as though he had ties to the club he was that damming to us! Webby my MotM, BBC gave it Dunk and Fantasy PL gave their bonus to Maupay. Says it all really, felt their debut LB Vokins had a better game than Ings.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I dont think it any coincidence that Soton have been playing welll since being safe ,pressure has a lot to do with performances.

The counter argument being that other teams in the same situation are on the beach, eg PaLLLLLace. The manager deserves credit for keeping their players on their toes.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
i honestly don't know if we will be able to replace him. He really was a lot better than a lot of people thought/think and I am not sure we could afford to buy should someone turn up. Joe Linton and Haller at WHU were £40million plus and have done little.

I did think earlier in the season that Sebastian Andersson would be a decent replacement and fit nicely alongside Maupay, and his contract was up at the end of the season. Looks like his contact has now been extended for another 2 years and he's linked with Newcastle and Celtic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lets be honest, it was an underserved point despite the 1-0 lead at half time
This is the premier league and we are like Wycombe and Luton in the championship

Do you think both those clubs will play 3 seasons in the Championship without ever being in the relegation places?

If you’re going to have a little hissy rant, at least make like for like comparisons.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Posts like this really frustrate me. We played Potterball versus Liverpool and played really well but he got criticised for it. Today he played a very pragmatic game, as he has done in all of our five unbeaten away games in a row, and we ground out a vital point, again.

Criticised if he does play his way then criticised if he doesn’t.

I think he has evolved massively as a manager, he has a very clear style he wants us to play at home but has found a second way to grind out away results too.

I dont know anyone who had anything but praise for Liverpool performance.. Apart from 2 early mistakes look on that as one of best of season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep - that was mental to say that. Wasn’t a pen but wasn’t a dive. To liken it to Grealish was so so so unfair.

Lazy journalism.

Oh, hang on, he isn't a journalist.

Lazy bollocks talking, then. He's certainly a bollocks talker. Top profession.

He's better than that.

Hang on...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably some pages back somone has pointed out that Lamptey had a poor game yesterday. Caught upfield when they attacked, and several times nowhere near his man when they came down their left. Hestitant when he had a chance to get a shot in. And asleep when Ings scored. Oh, and the own goal (that was chalked off). He's a class player so this was hopefully an exceptional off day.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Probably some pages back somone has pointed out that Lamptey had a poor game yesterday. Caught upfield when they attacked, and several times nowhere near his man when they came down their left. Hestitant when he had a chance to get a shot in. And asleep when Ings scored. Oh, and the own goal (that was chalked off). He's a class player so this was hopefully an exceptional off day.

He's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

There is no doubt that he is a very very exciting prospect, but at 19 I think he still has a lot to learn. Who would have picked Dunk out as going to be the best English centreback in the premier league when he was 19, (or when he scored one of the best OGs I've ever seen against Liverpool) :thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah bad day for him.
He seems down to earth enough to know that it's going to happen and he needs to improve.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Glad for the point but f' me don't we make it hard for ourselves.
I am getting a bit fed up with feeling like we have just got away with it after every game.
We never deserved the win or even a draw, given that second half performance to be honest.
Wouldn't it be nice to just see all our players on the pitch give a shit, I would like to take a few players to one side and question their attitude and commitment.
The season lasts for 38 games and they should turn up for every one of them, they get paid enough to.
Not convinced by the team selection process at all and if this is to see if players will make an effort to play for their place then ................
If anyone thinks it will be any different next season then great , but I really can't see it changing, though remain forever hopeful.
Can relax for next 2 games I suppose and just hope we don't ship a hat full of goals and sacrifice our 'extra point'.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
That was Lamptey's, what? Fifth, sixth league game of his career? A sign of his inexperience, not his quality. No doubt he'll learn from it. Webster and Dunk outstanding in that second half in particular, which I did not enjoy watching – if I were a Saints fan I'd be pretty happy with the effort put in by a team who could already have the flip-flops on. Thought Vokins looked a good player too.

One of those evenings where it's 'never mind the quality, feel the point'.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This is a very old school opinion.

Potter is a modern progressive manager. There is no “one way to play”, “this is my best team and I always play this 11” mindset with us anymore.

We are capable of adapting our style and system, mid game even.

As well as your top sides many who have surprised us play the same week in in and out. Burnley and Sheff Utd do not have better players. Hovever they have a better team that is similar every week. For our next game apart from Dunk.Webster,Burn,Ryan and Maupay we have no idea who Potter will pick. It is now a standing joke but to progress would hope next season less changes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well that was nerve racking last night, we were lucky to get a point but for once we got more points than we deserved.

el punal

As well as your top sides many who have surprised us play the same week in in and out. Burnley and Sheff Utd do not have better players. Hovever they have a better team that is similar every week. For our next game apart from Dunk.Webster,Burn,Ryan and Maupay we have no idea who Potter will pick. It is now a standing joke but to progress would hope next season less changes.

I would hardly call it a standing joke - a rather disparaging comment to make about a coach whose team selection, and ability to make positive changes when required, has earned plaudits across the board. As it’s his first season in the Premier League he has acquitted himself well. No doubt, next season, the players under his charge will perform better and be more experienced.

With regard to your comments about Burnley and Sheffield Utd, yes, they do play the same way week in, week out. They are teams that are hard to beat, they grind out results, they do what is required - but then so were we, up to a point, under Chris Hughton. Our football under Graham Potter is a gamble, glorious and unpredictable maybe, but entertaining most of the time. I think I’ll take that style, gamble or not, rather than Burnley’s or Sheffield United’s.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Glad for the point but f' me don't we make it hard for ourselves.
I am getting a bit fed up with feeling like we have just got away with it after every game.
We never deserved the win or even a draw, given that second half performance to be honest.
Wouldn't it be nice to just see all our players on the pitch give a shit, I would like to take a few players to one side and question their attitude and commitment.
The season lasts for 38 games and they should turn up for every one of them, they get paid enough to.
Not convinced by the team selection process at all and if this is to see if players will make an effort to play for their place then ................
If anyone thinks it will be any different next season then great , but I really can't see it changing, though remain forever hopeful.
Can relax for next 2 games I suppose and just hope we don't ship a hat full of goals and sacrifice our 'extra point'.

Nah, don't buy this at all. Played well first half, deserved lead, and showed excellent 'attitude and commitment' when under intense pressure in the second half.

Quite frankly, if you don't come under pressure when leading away to an established, in-form team in the premier league, then it isn't the best league in the world.

Withstood a lot of what was thrown at us but they got a deserved equaliser. After that they didn't create much bar a 20 yard shot that needed a worldie save, with by far the best chance falling to Bissouma who really should have scored - Saints were lucky to come away with a point in the end despite all the possession they had, they didn't do much with it at 1-1.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That was Lamptey's, what? Fifth, sixth league game of his career? A sign of his inexperience, not his quality. No doubt he'll learn from it. Webster and Dunk outstanding in that second half in particular, which I did not enjoy watching – if I were a Saints fan I'd be pretty happy with the effort put in by a team who could already have the flip-flops on. Thought Vokins looked a good player too.

One of those evenings where it's 'never mind the quality, feel the point'.

It looked to me like they targetted Lamptey last night, both his height and his tendency to tuck in narrowly which might be a Potter thing anyway, since that's how we defended Norwich. In the first half they didn't have the quality to exploit it but fair play to Hasenhuttl, he changed it at half time and they stuck a load of diagonals over the top down our left. The ball from Redmond was absolutely key in the goal though, Lamptey far too narrow but the ball into space was perfectly weighted and caught him in two minds between trying to intercept and getting goal side of Ings. As soon as Ings got the ball it was a goal.

However, talking of perfect weight, his awareness and perfect throw in set up our goal in the first place. Yes they switch off and allow Murray to mug them for space but Lamptey was instantly aware of it.

He's been MoTM in at least two of his starts so far and, I agree, will go on to be a high quality player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here