Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Chailey Development; Please oppose

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
That is a rather pathetic NIMBY case study. It's not a massive development and considering it's a nursing home for the elderly and those with dementia the traffic concerns seem to be blown out of proportion.

That video section on the website about the traffic shows how the roads need to be sorted out now anyway possibly with yellow lines to restrict parking during peak times - this will most certainly improve traffic flow. In addition to this, such development will also demand that some money is spent on local highway improvements anyway.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Hardly a balanced argument by the op.

I'm guessing by the responses that he may be avoiding NSC for a while!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, contrary to the vast majority of posters, and without any knowledge of the proposed development, I do have some sympathy.

There are close on 1,000,000, yes one million, empty houses in the UK, and huge swathes of land banked by developers that already has planning permission on it.

Regeneration of inner cities, and higher taxes on second homes would help.

There are also,thousands upon thousands of square feet of office space in the SE that could be converted into flats.

Sussex is a beautiful county and IMO deserves protection.

While I agree that something should be done about empty properties - and fully agree that second homes should be doubly taxed - it's not a zero sum game. You can believe in the development of brownfield sites as well as small, sympathetic developments like this one. For too many people, the default position is to oppose. I'm certainly not saying build everywhere but we do need some new homes down here ... well, quite a lot actually

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, contrary to the vast majority of posters, and without any knowledge of the proposed development, I do have some sympathy.

There are close on 1,000,000, yes one million, empty houses in the UK, and huge swathes of land banked by developers that already has planning permission on it.

i read recently that the claims of land banking are overblown, with only 2 years worth of land with permission in the pipeline. most of those empty homes are oop north, scoatland and wales where no one wants to live. aside from that, maybe checking the development would show that this is utterly irrelevent to building of a group of assited care retirement homes in Sussex. i'd venture that those who will move here will free up useful homes in towns around Sussex or else where that will help the shortages for those younger.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
*Financially non-viable development providing private nursing only for those who can afford it

This is the one that gets me, how is it financially non-viable if it's being sold to people who can afford it?

If they had a business plan to only sell rooms to people who can't afford it then I'd agree. That would of course be a bit stupid :facepalm:

How do I support this development?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

There are also,thousands upon thousands of square feet of office space in the SE that could be converted into flats.

I think you would have been wiser just to take some time out to check what the actual development is before posting.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Some of you have never lived next to a retirement home - gangs of pensioners doing brake turns on their mobility scooters, intimidating other pavement users in their knitted hoodies; local shops being emptied of cat food by shoplifters pretending to be too senile to pay; local village halls inundated with over 70s cribbage and jam making clubs forcing other institutions to move away to other areas; local babies assaulted by gangs of grannies patting them on the cheek whilst saying 'isn't he lovely' in a seemingly angelic voice.

It was too much I had to move.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'm guessing by the responses that he may be avoiding NSC for a while!

Come in Chunky44. I need your response from your "beautiful, safe rural location" to all this criticism of your crusade against this heinous, financially non-viable nursing home development. Without it, and with the evidence currently laid out before me, I feel compelled to write to the Council with my support for the monstrous carbuncle.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm sure the campaign team will be DELIGHTED with the work done by Agent Chunky :lolol:

That's a lovely own goal...with a bit of lol involved.

It's a own glol.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Yes - Let's send all of the the elderly and infirm in Sussex to inner city London. What a great idea...Eastbourne would be DESERTED!!!

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
Hi All,

Calling all fellow Seagulls living out in the wilds of Sussex.....
http://gradwellpark.info/

Could you please take just 60 seconds to oppose this development in South Chailey?

In essence the proposed development:
*Will significantly increase traffic in a beautiful, safe rural location
*Financially non-viable development providing private nursing only for those who can afford it
*Wrong location, insufficient amenities within several mile radius
*No overriding local need
*Poor transport links
*Not sustainable - all facilities, support and staff will need to be transported into site
*Hindrance not an asset to the existing local infrastructure and community
*Will not add to the community provision for sports and recreation

If you are in opposition please post the link to your Facebook wall.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QF55PZD

Just an update for all those who shared an opinion or were interested, the Planning Committee of Lewes District voted 8-1 in opposition of the Gradwell Park development for the third time in 5 years.
As per the previous applications the decision was based upon the same reasons for previous refusal, namely:
*Will significantly increase traffic in a beautiful, safe rural location
*Wrong location, insufficient amenities within several mile radius
*No overriding local need
*Poor transport links
*Not sustainable - all facilities, support and staff will need to be transported into site
:O

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
*I can't see there being a massive increase in traffic?? There's already loads of traffic there already caused by the school and I really cant see this having any impact
*No way to prove that
*This is a fair point - I used to live down the road from here and there is feck all. However what amenities need to be near to a Retirement Home?
*That's down to opinion and not fact
*100% Correct - however buses run through here, maybe a retirement home would mean an increase in demand for more buses, which would benefit everbody else who lives there?
*Isn't this the case for any retirement home/business?

That area of South Chailey is definitely NOT an area of beauty - having a retirement home there will make no change to anything, except offer some elderly people somewhere to live

I guess well done for the win. But like others have said - it seems to be a case of complaining for the sake of complaining, and will surely harm more important matters in the long run

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and people wonder why there is a shortage of housing. :rolleyes:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is it right to assume most of the council live in the local area in 500k+ properties? Even a 1% drop in the valuations of these piles due to a new development would cost these righteous folks 5k. That's just not on. Well done to those who got themselves on to the council in order to protect their own financial interests.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If it is on the road to Offham and Lewes and the increased traffic at 2.15 on a Saturday is sufficient to stop my wife dropping me off at The Amex in time for kick off, I will object, but if not I will just ignore it.

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
I'm sure the campaign team will be DELIGHTED with the work done by Agent Chunky :lolol:

That's a lovely own goal...with a bit of lol involved.

It's a own glol.

I am all for sensible debate...I think I will reserve my thoughts on whether this forum was/is and stick to the football chat...we can all agree on the supporting the mighty Seagulls.:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here