Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Chailey Development; Please oppose

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I agree, it would be hypocritical to object to that.

There's a shortage of homes in the south-east and we're going to have to get used to seeing planning proposals like these. And with an ageing population, we'll need more retirement homes too. I think the NIMBYs and BANANAs better get used to it.

What is a banana?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just read through the 'objections', and I haven't got a clue what the nature of them are - only that the developers plan to do X, Y and Z at no obvious passing detriment to the locals. That, it seems, is enough for them to object.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It can't look worse than the brickworks. FACT!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ignoring this development, are people seriously suggesting that because we wanted the Amex it's hypocritical to object to any other development?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ignoring this development, are people seriously suggesting that because we wanted the Amex it's hypocritical to object to any other development?

Yeah that's a bit silly, the Amex was permitted as the benefits of the stadium were considered to outweigh its harm to the countryside. That doesn't mean supporters of the Amex should accept a 20 storey tower block in the middle of nowhere which would have no tangible social benefits and look as ugly as sin.

In this case however it loos like the objectors are grasping at straws as the proposal would appear to meet a social need with limited impacts.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Can't see anything to stop in going ahead in the objections.

The threat of 'construction traffic' is usually overplayed. We were told of the catastrophic traffic impact on the A259 when Southern Water built their sewage treatment works at Peacehaven. It never happened, nor did the smell and all the other usual problems people thought would affect the area- and this was a huge development. I wouldn't worry, these things are usually nowhere near as bad as they seem.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
*Financially non-viable development providing private nursing only for those who can afford it
*Wrong location, insufficient amenities
Looks perfect to me
Got the money when can I move in ??
F*** the amenities Will sainsburys bring my shopping ??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

no, but i do think it means we should give more positive consideration towards development and avoid a knee jerk "save the trees/fields/view" responce.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Have to agree with the majority of posters (in fact overwhelming majority). Get fed up with people that live in areas objecting to others living in the same area. I wonder how many that object to the proposal are residents of Pouchlands which, used to be a facility for geriatrics and mental health but was converted to provide housing. So, in effect all this is doing is replacing a facility that used to exist in the village.

This; in spades. Can't really see anything wrong with this, the traffic objections are laughable. And , if I'm not mistaken, this would be actually ON (or at worst, very near) what used to be part of Pouchlands.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I know a bus driver who might sign it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well, contrary to the vast majority of posters, and without any knowledge of the proposed development, I do have some sympathy.

There are close on 1,000,000, yes one million, empty houses in the UK, and huge swathes of land banked by developers that already has planning permission on it.

Regeneration of inner cities, and higher taxes on second homes would help.

There are also,thousands upon thousands of square feet of office space in the SE that could be converted into flats.

Sussex is a beautiful county and IMO deserves protection.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Well, contrary to the vast majority of posters, and without any knowledge of the proposed development, I do have some sympathy.

There are close on 1,000,000, yes one million, empty houses in the UK, and huge swathes of land banked by developers that already has planning permission on it.

Regeneration of inner cities, and higher taxes on second homes would help.

There are also,thousands upon thousands of square feet of office space in the SE that could be converted into flats.

Sussex is a beautiful county and IMO deserves protection.

Whilst I agree that the countryside does need protecting, where are these million empty properties? VERY few are in the South East, whilst there's loads in cities up north like Newcastle and Liverpool.

Sussex doesn't have an industrial history, so there's no wasteland, or any land for that matter, that can be redeveloped. Sadly, it will mean encroachment into the sticks.

Someone on here made the brilliant point that if you object to every development, then people (the council, etc) will stop listening and you're knackered when the big one comes along.

A retirement home in a modern village, most of which is less than 40 years old, is not worth railing against in my opinion.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
People have to live somewhere. Have had many recent developments in Lindfield - not opposed any of them. Best get involved trying to get them to fit in, and ensure infrastructure is supported.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here